2021 Grey Cup GDT - Bombers vs. Tiger-Cats

TrueBlue4ever

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I have lake friends out in Lake of the Woods area who are Rider fans. Every Labour Day we put on a block party, so no chance to travel to Regina for the big game. But every Sunday our house hosts the Labour Day classic on TV. Half Bomber fans, half Rider fans. And every year have to hear about how bad the Bombers record was on Labour Day. Last year when they walked in in their green, trash talking, I just quietly pulled out a replica Grey Cup and put it in front of the TV. They didn’t say a word after that. 

A life well lived is truly the best revenge. 

makes me ashamed to say I have roots in NWO hahaha

This reminds me of one bomber home game a coworker of my wife asked to park in our driveway to walk to a banjo bowl. I was happy to help someone enjoy a beatdown of the riders. 

Then they showed up in green jerseys. OMG what are the neighbours going to think. I noticed they didn't stop by to chat after the game. Ha I love banjo bowls (mainly). 

10 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

This reminds me of one bomber home game a coworker of my wife asked to park in our driveway to walk to a banjo bowl. I was happy to help someone enjoy a beatdown of the riders. 

Then they showed up in green jerseys. OMG what are the neighbours going to think. I noticed they didn't stop by to chat after the game. Ha I love banjo bowls (mainly). 

Did you at least burn your driveway???

On 2021-12-12 at 11:17 AM, GCJenks said:

I believe any ties to the West beyond Winnipeg have been removed. 
I believe his sone is now at Guelph 

edit: bad link

I was at a gym yesterday where some Sun players work out and I asked one of them if MOS Jr. is coming back to the Sun next year and he said that he "hoped so", given what a good player he is.  I said that I thought that I heard that MOS Jr. was going to Guelph, and he said that that was in the past, and that MOS Jr. "wasn't exactly an academic guy" lol.  At the very least he said he hoped MOS Jr. would come back to the Sun in a coaching capacity, as he seems to have the same gift of motivating players that his dad has.  

So there's the update.

33 Teams are ranked. ;)

30. Winnipeg. The CFL Blue Bombers won their second consecutive Grey Cup and 12th in their history last weekend with a 33-25 overtime victory over the Hamilton Tiger-Cars. That gave Winnipeg DE Jackson Jeffcoat as many championship rings (2) as his father Jim, who played defensive end for the Dallas Cowboys in the 1990s. Last week: Unranked

Somewhere in Winnipeg there is a young stud football player looking at what Harris and Demski have done and have a dream of also leading the Bombers to a Grey Cup. They see how they are celebrated but that they also came back and committed to this franchise. 

Harris and Demski (and Oliveira next) have not only brought Grey Cups to the fanbase but have also sparked a new generation who will see the benefit of playing here in Winnipeg. 

They are truly the gift that keeps on giving. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Somewhere in Winnipeg there is a young stud football player looking at what Harris and Demski have done and have a dream of also leading the Bombers to a Grey Cup. They see how they are celebrated but that they also came back and committed to this franchise. 

Harris and Demski (and Oliveira next) have not only brought Grey Cups to the fanbase but have also sparked a new generation who will see the benefit of playing here in Winnipeg. 

They are truly the gift that keeps on giving. 

Don't forget about Benson and Gray (yes, they may have less showy impact on the team, but they are still there)... It's amazing to me how we ended up with 5 players from Winnipeg on the team.

2 hours ago, Sard said:

Don't forget about Benson and Gray (yes, they may have less showy impact on the team, but they are still there)... It's amazing to me how we ended up with 5 players from Winnipeg on the team.

Yes, in hindsight I regret bashing Paul Friesen for lamenting publicly back in the Mack era that Winnipeg had no Winnipeg-born players.  In hindsight, and I find this extremely difficult to say, he may have been right about that....argh...ack...I just threw up in my mouth...

4 hours ago, JCon said:

33 Teams are ranked. ;)

30. Winnipeg. The CFL Blue Bombers won their second consecutive Grey Cup and 12th in their history last weekend with a 33-25 overtime victory over the Hamilton Tiger-Cars. That gave Winnipeg DE Jackson Jeffcoat as many championship rings (2) as his father Jim, who played defensive end for the Dallas Cowboys in the 1990s. Last week: Unranked

Those Tiger-Cars sure were a lot tougher opponents than the Tiger-Cats were in 2019...

15 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Yes, in hindsight I regret bashing Paul Friesen for lamenting publicly back in the Mack era that Winnipeg had no Winnipeg-born players.  In hindsight, and I find this extremely difficult to say, he may have been right about that....argh...ack...I just threw up in my mouth...

Don't worry, he'll be wrong many many more times in the very near future.

On 2021-12-14 at 4:28 PM, Booch said:

in all honesty....I don't see whats so great about the Gabriel play and why it's revered so much....pretty run of the mill TD catch...

Twenty seconds left in the game. Ottawa down 20-16. Saskatchewan was the heavy favourite. Clements was a second year pro qb while Lancaster was a 17 year veteran. Then busted coverage in the Roughrider secondary at the worst possible time. Gabriel wide freaking open. A 35 yard clutch throw & catch from Clements to Gabriel for the win 23-20. I remember just how big that play was. It was classic!!

26 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Twenty seconds left in the game. Ottawa down 20-16. Saskatchewan was the heavy favourite. Clements was a second year pro qb while Lancaster was a 17 year veteran. Then busted coverage in the Roughrider secondary at the worst possible time. Gabriel wide freaking open. A 35 yard clutch throw & catch from Clements to Gabriel for the win 23-20. I remember just how big that play was. It was classic!!

Yes, and let's also remember that it prevented a Rider Grey Cup victory, which we all know is worth its weight in gold! 

Thats Gold Jerry GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Re-watching the game again, now that I can fully calm down knowing that we win - a lot has been said about the Ti-Cats taking a knee on the kick-off to make it 25-22, but what about the mental error on the previous kickoff after the Demski TD, where the Ti-Cat player tries to bat the ball out of the air (and unsuccessfully hits it as it goes by him) and then it sails through the end zone.  If that player had been coached properly by his special teams coach Reinebold (lol) he would have let that ball sail through the end zone untouched, which according to CFL rules, would not have resulted in a rouge.  As much as the knee to make it 25-22 was important, it wouldn't have been as big a deal had the Hamilton player not touched the ball on the previous kick-off before it went through the end zone.  Mental errors.   As I said previously, it's amazing to me how these games always boil down to a few important plays, that either make the difference due to superior human effort or mental error.  Finally, due to an over-riding amount of talent and coaching, the Bombers, after being on the short-end of the stick for so long, are finally winning those battles on the important plays that make the difference.

You can't tell me if the roles were reversed, that Janarion Grant, sitting back waiting for the kickoff with a strong wind in his face, would have touched the football before it went out of touch in a game that close.  He would have been told by the coaches to let it go through the end zone without conceding a point.  Because that's what good coaching in that situation would have advised, and Hamilton, in that situation, did not have good coaching.  Thankfully, that's what we have.  FINALLY.  We out-coached Hamilton in every phase of the game.  So great to see after so many years of other teams out-coaching us.  

Edited by kelownabomberfan

3 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Yes, and let's also remember that it prevented a Rider Grey Cup victory, which we all know is worth its weight in gold! 

Thats Gold Jerry GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Life & times were different back then. We supported the West while people in the Eastern Conference supported the East. It's not like that anymore. There really was a rivalry back then because two separate leagues merged in 1958 to form the CFL.  Bragging rights were still important. The West was always considered the B league. Lancaster, Reed,  & the Riders were classy so fans didn't hate them like fans hate the Riders now. So we cheered for Saskatchewan. Fans today would have a hard time getting their heads around that today. 

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Life & times were different back then. We supported the West while people in the Eastern Conference supported the East. It's not like that anymore. There really was a rivalry back then because two separate leagues merged in 1958 to form the CFL.  Bragging rights were still important. The West was always considered the B league. Lancaster, Reed,  & the Riders were classy so fans didn't hate them like fans hate the Riders now. So we cheered for Saskatchewan. Fans today would have a hard time getting their heads around that today. 

I guess I was ahead of my time. I never cheered for the green team. Although I hated the Edmonton green team even more. How could they have a high school kid kicking punts? Not fair at all. (timeline is a bit off here but there has been a lot of beer and stuff between that time and now)