CFL Awards (Still Schenelys To Me)

7 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Absolutely! I love the fact that our lines have always been a point of emphasis. I remember when Willie Jefferson signed here most people were pretty happy but I remember people wanted the money spent on a top receiver. Controlling the lines of scrimmage is the most important part of the game. 

At the time, I felt like they were just adding to what was already a great unit.  Again, good thing our opinions don't matter. 

29 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I watched a documentary of the Dallas Cowboys when they won 3 Super Bowls in the 90's. The key was their offensive line. They were the best in the NFL during those years. They were nicknaned The Great Wall Of Dallas. I think we should nickname our guys The Great Wall Of Winnipeg Or as a tribute to the 1972 Bomber team. The Hogs. Charlie Harrison, Chuck Liebrock, Bob Swift, Bob Lueck & Bill Frank all loved that name & they were a close knit unit because of it

I got one. “The Big Oline Bastards of Winnipeg”. 

34 minutes ago, Booch said:

Guess we can call em the double stuffed Oreos then...lol....one yr I played my linebacking trio was called the reverse Oreos...I'm sure u can figure out why

Uhm. Uh. I think so….lol.  Mentioning linebackers from a day, I was reminded that Greg Battle was twice named the CFL Most Outstanding Defensive Player Award. Biggie Beats Battle to a third. These bomber line backers past and present are exceptionally gifted. Preacher Greg is still gifted in his present craft. :) 

On 2021-12-10 at 8:51 PM, Noeller said:

Really enjoyed the awards tonight, tho the whole production felt so amateur. How is it not on TSN?? How is there not more glitz and glamour?? 

I played very low level university hockey and that ceremony reminded me of the awards ceremonies we had. Really disappointed in the lighting and the amateur vibe in general. Players/fans/others involved deserved better. Hard to be taken seriously as a league when we can't do better for the best in the league.

Here's John Candy trying to sell Argo's tickets at the awards in Winnipeg when CBC used to do them:

If you went purely based on how much better someone is at their position than the next best at that same position. Then compare that gap to every other position on the field throughout the league Stanley Bryant is the best  player in the CFL. Others get ranked ahead due to position but he is the most dominant guy in league.

7 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

If you went purely based on how much better someone is at their position than the next best at that same position. Then compare that gap to every other position on the field throughout the league Stanley Bryant is the best  player in the CFL. Others get ranked ahead due to position but he is the most dominant guy in league.

I always felt that Bill Frank & Chris Walby were the two most dominant tackles for the Bombers & the CFL. But Stanley Bryant is in a league all his own. 

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I always felt that Bill Frank & Chris Walby were the two most dominant tackles for the Bombers & the CFL. But Stanley Bryant is in a league all his own. 

For some reason I always thought Walby was a LT and yesterday watching old games I realized he was a RT. Now, I don't know a lot, but it seems to me the blind side tackle is the tougher job, and for that reason alone, SB66 should stand alone as the best of all time. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

For some reason I always thought Walby was a LT and yesterday watching old games I realized he was a RT. Now, I don't know a lot, but it seems to me the blind side tackle is the tougher job, and for that reason alone, SB66 should stand alone as the best of all time. 

It's definitely the side that every coach wants to see locked up.  If you look at the time before Dejarlais, the Bombers were starting an American at LG as well - shows how much of a priority the left side is.