Main Camp Observations - Day One

Just got back from training camp, and I think the star of the day is the stadium itself.

I think we spent more time checking the site lines, our seats, and the stadium in general then watching training camp.

I was there today. The place looks pretty good but there's still a lot of work left to do. My seats are pretty good. I'm in the 13th row of the upper deck and I've got a railing that's just on the edge of my sightline. It's not bad, I'll just have to get used to it. I was in row 32 of the old stadium and these seats really don't seem that much further away, which is nice.

-I thought Pierce was the best qb today. He was hitting all of his targets in the first skelly session. Goltz was probably second best, and sure seemed to have the strongest arm and the most athleticism of all of them. Hall started poorly, as he threw a few passes behind his receivers in a passing drill, but seemed to get better as the day went on. They had two skelly sessions going at once, so I didn't get to see Hall or Clement run theirs

-They were running a passing drill into the wind and Clement couldn't get the ball to the far sideline. I was least impressed with him, but again, I didn't get to see him run skelly

-Simpson looks like he's a better football player than everybody else on the field. If he can stay healthy he's going to have a monster season

-I thought Degrate & Hyde looked good. Hyde made a very nice play to knock a ball down at the los and Degrate was giving January trouble with his speed coming around the corner

-Not many dropped balls today from any of the receivers, at least not that I saw. Matthews looked the best of them all. Kennedy made some nice catches as well

-Poblah was about 5 yards offside on nearly every play I saw him in.

I still personally thought Hall was the best QB today, but I didn't see much of Buck. What I did see wasn't very impressive as he overthrew a couple receivers, got a ball batted down by Hyde (who absolutely flies off the line) and missed a few targets. Hall hooked up with Kohlert for a beautiful completion in the end zone that had the crowd applauding and he seems to be getting the hang of the far sideline tosses.

Zach Anderson and Freddie Harris looked quick in drills today, Marcus Hyde has a ton of speed to burn.

First team offense appeared to be Pierce and Simpson in the backfield with Poblah, Watson and Anderson in the slot, Denmark and Matthews on the outside.

Aderious Simmons is a BIG dude.

Kennedy, Etienne and Kohlert all made nice grabs in the second team offense that Hall/Clement were running.

Didn't really notice any particular DB/LB standouts, but I wasn't paying much attention to their numbers to be honest. The only nice play I remember was #31 breaking up a Pierce pass.

Hall hooked up with Kohlert for a beautiful completion in the end zone that had the crowd applauding

I didn't see the play, but heard the cheering and saw Kohlert running back from the endzone with the ball.

Pierce's first skelly session was much better than his second.

I thought the D won the team session near the end of practice. I also forgot to mention that McGee was playing nickel with the starting d today.

Hall hooked up with Kohlert for a beautiful completion in the end zone that had the crowd applauding

I didn't see the play, but heard the cheering and saw Kohlert running back from the endzone with the ball.

Pierce's first skelly session was much better than his second.

I thought the D won the team session near the end of practice. I also forgot to mention that McGee was playing nickel with the starting d today.

I'll just add that I didn't see the first one, so that's maybe why I wasn't too impressed.

-Poblah was about 5 yards offside on nearly every play I saw him in.

and Milt was 5 yards offside almost every play too, but the refs almost never called him. Perhaps Milt has been coaching young Kito on the subtleties of the slot?

Watching rookie camp the other day the receivers were often 10 yards off-side, coaches weren't at all concerned. Seeing how it was the first day of camp I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't have many observations on the day, but I did say that I would give you guys my take:

-Buck Pierce to me looked the best out there. Hall was at times throwing behind his receiver but otherwise looked very good. Goltz didn't look out of place either

-Noticed that Jade Etienne was seeing a lot of balls, at least during the drills where there was no coverage. He can get down the field in a hurry and catches the ball well. Often he was outrunning the throws, had to turn around and attack the ball in the air.

-Chad Simpson is going to make some players in this league look silly this year. He has put on muscle and probably looks a step faster than last year. I would hate to have to try to tackle him. Chris Garrett showed some skills today, slashing through the defence.

-Mark DeWit looks like a midget compared to the rest of our offensive line. We have some monsters out there.

-Saw Bryant Turner murder a tackling dummy with a vicious forearm. Tackling dummy was arrested for getting in Bryant Turner's way.

Overall just watched a lot of pitch and catch. Nobody really stood out positively or negatively too much. There is a lot of camp left and it will be interesting to see how this roster gets pared down.

I don't have many observations on the day, but I did say that I would give you guys my take:

-Buck Pierce to me looked the best out there. Hall was at times throwing behind his receiver but otherwise looked very good. Goltz didn't look out of place either

-Noticed that Jade Etienne was seeing a lot of balls, at least during the drills where there was no coverage. He can get down the field in a hurry and catches the ball well. Often he was outrunning the throws, had to turn around and attack the ball in the air.

-Chad Simpson is going to make some players in this league look silly this year. He has put on muscle and probably looks a step faster than last year. I would hate to have to try to tackle him. Chris Garrett showed some skills today, slashing through the defence.

-Mark DeWit looks like a midget compared to the rest of our offensive line. We have some monsters out there.

-Saw Bryant Turner murder a tackling dummy with a vicious forearm. Tackling dummy was arrested for getting in Bryant Turner's way.

Overall just watched a lot of pitch and catch. Nobody really stood out positively or negatively too much. There is a lot of camp left and it will be interesting to see how this roster gets pared down.

Our first Bryant Turner joke on the new site. Well done, Ty. Isn't it nice to have a sense of humour again? Based on all your posts so far, I was starting to wonder if you're even a Bomber fan anymore..... ;)

Looking back on camp today, it was probably one of the best first days I've seen in a while from an execution standpoint.

Wasn't Tim Burke quoted today saying that the offence looks better this year than it did at the end of the year? That says something.

Our first Bryant Turner joke on the new site. Well done, Ty. Isn't it nice to have a sense of humour again? Based on all your posts so far, I was starting to wonder if you're even a Bomber fan anymore..... ;)

Of course I'm still a Bomber fan! Haha. Okay, I'll try to lighten up around here Cory. :lol: