Tabbies @ Boatmen, Eastern Final

bluto

Just now, rebusrankin said:

Masoli should not be allowed to play if unvaxed. Thought this was the rule.

I thought the rule is that unvaxxed players couldn't travel regardless of whether they were crossing a border, but I guess I was wrong.

Which is kind of stupid, because it gives home teams a unique advantage.

12 minutes ago, JCon said:

Nope. Just can't travel per Canada inter-provincial rules. Since he's not traveling to another province or by plane/train, he can go. 

I stand corrected.  CFL is just following Federal Gov't rules.  The MBT thing is a CFL decision, though.  

"A federal mandate took effect on Wednesday that bans people who aren’t vaccinated from travelling on planes, trains or ships."

https://leaderpost.com/sports/football/cfl/saskatchewan-roughriders/brett-lauther-nominated-for-jake-gaudaur-veterans-award

Travelling by plane or train between provinces/territories

If you’re 12 years of age plus four months, or older, you must be fully vaccinated in order to board:

• domestic or international flights departing from most airports in Canada, including charter and foreign airlines carrying commercial passengers
    • Medevac flights are excluded, regardless of where they depart or land
    • Private flights that don't require access to airports with a vaccination requirement are excluded
  • VIA Rail and Rocky Mountaineer trains

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/provinces

Edited by Wideleft

This is all on MLSE, not the CFL. They own both the Raptors and the Argos, they know the rules, and they send their QB to the game to do a very visible promo. Put the league HQ in an impossible position. Follow the COVID rules, and you remove Toronto’s most important player before the biggest game of the year at home, and people yell because you are setting up a Hamilton home field Grey Cup. Allow him to play an you make an exception to the rules and people scream that you are deliberately pushing for an Argo Grey Cup appearance. The non-attendance rule seems odd, but it has been in place all year. 

Boy, if MLSE wanted to bury the Argos and join up with the XFL (as Damien Cox has floated the rumour) wouldn’t a great way to do it be to sabotage your own team by getting your QB removed form the roster ahead of a big playoff game and creating a big PR mess for the CFL and the Argos? #justsayin’

Maybe this is revenge by MLSE for the league and the other 8 teams not following their wishes and backing out of the XFL talks. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

but this is just soooo bad on so many levels... MLSE sends him to the Raptors to promote the East Final... not knowing the rules... gets their QB, essentially, suspended for said game... which will now be a joke if Pipkin starts... and if they make an exception and allow MBT to play... shows extreme hypocrisy surrounding other players like Banks and J'Gared Davis... yikes, what a mess... did I miss anything?  

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

The CFL has it's own travel rules, not related to Covid, that require the team to travel together. So, a player couldn't just drive to the game, as opposed to taking the team charter, in order to get around the Covid travel rules. 

I’m betting the team will bus it to Toronto rather than fly. 

3 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Boy, if MLSE wanted to bury the Argos and join up with the XFL (as Damien Cox has floated the rumour) wouldn’t a great way to do it be to sabotage your own team by getting your QB removed form the roster ahead of a big playoff game and creating a big PR mess for the CFL and the Argos? #justsayin’

It makes me sick to my stomach thinking that there is any possibility this could be true... not saying it isn't... but just nauseating 

The fact they let the Americans to come up here unvaxxed in the first place was a problem. They gotta scan my phone so I can eat a fn steak inside a restaurant in a city and country I live in year round and these  Americans can just do whatever. In my ******* country? In my league? 

Yeah. MBT? Okie... that's dumb on MLSE part. 

Ppl don't like the rules? They can just go home in my opinion and **** off 

Lol at anyone using the xfl as a threat to the CFL tho 

Careful tho.. the Argos might join the current inactive league that has folded twice in 2 years 

Edited by Goalie

22 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I’m betting the team will bus it to Toronto rather than fly. 

I swear that I read that teams have to travel together regardless of transport mode and therefore they must all be vaxxed.  No provisions for separate travel allowed.  I have some digging to do.

(Wrong again.)

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-will-not-allow-unvaccinated-players-to-travel-play-in-playoffs-1.1708748

CFL players who cannot travel with their teams to the East or West Division finals, or the Grey Cup game, will not be allowed to participate. 

The league decided Tuesday that any players not able to travel with their teams to road games once the federal government invokes its mandate on vaccinations for air and rail travel on Nov. 30th will be put on a suspended list and not paid for any missed games. 

The CFL division finals on Dec. 5th and the Grey Cup on Dec. 12th are the only games affected by the new government policy.

Tuesday’s decision ends weeks of speculation about how the league would handle the ban on unvaccinated passengers travelling, given the close proximity teams in the East Division have in comparison to those in the West.

Teams in the East can easily bus to any location within their division, meaning no team will be at risk of missing players for the East Division Final.

However, with Winnipeg about to clinch first place in the West, their opposition will have a choice to make: either fly to the game and leave some players behind, or travel by bus and bring everybody.

Busing from Regina (573 kilometres) to Winnipeg is certainly doable but is a tougher contemplation for Calgary (1,357 km) and especially Vancouver (2,423 km).

Getting to the Grey Cup will also be tricky for the West representative.

It is 1,968 kms from Winnipeg, the anticipated site of the West Division Final, to Hamilton, host of this year’s Grey Cup.

Edited by Wideleft

2 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

I swear that I read that teams have to travel together regardless of transport mode and therefore they must all be vaxxed.  No provisions for separate travel allowed.  I have some digging to do.

It's true they have to travel together but only need to vaxxed for flights/trains. So if the whole team was travelling by bus already, and not inter-provincial, I guess they don't all need to be vaxxed. CFL should have made a consistent policy since the way it is could really only benefit the Ontario teams.

Since the team sent MBT to the Raps game and it wasn't a case of a player individually violating protocol the league should punish the team and not the player. 

Risk of covid is very low in this situation. MBT is vaxxed, Raps game requires vax. Probably more risk if a player goes to Costco. As long as he tests negative up to the game, should be no issue. 

To me it's different than a player skirting the rules, but we'll see what the league thinks. 

Really bad look overall if unvaxxed Masoli can play and MBT can't because his team wanted to promote the league. 

2 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Since the team sent MBT to the Raps game and it wasn't a case of a player individually violating protocol the league should punish the team and not the player. 

Risk of covid is very low in this situation. MBT is vaxxed, Raps game requires vax. Probably more risk if a player goes to Costco. As long as he tests negative up to the game, should be no issue. 

To me it's different than a player skirting the rules, but we'll see what the league thinks. 

Really bad look overall if unvaxxed Masoli can play and MBT can't because his team wanted to promote the league. 

So, what about all the players that missed games this season because the rules were enforced? It's an awful mess and everyone looks terrible. Thanks again, MLSE for being horrible! 

https://www.cfl.ca/2021/12/03/cfl-issues-decision-status-argos-qb-mcleod-bethel-thompson/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Looks like they are let him (and the OTHER PLAYERS) play with conditions leading up to the game. What a **** up by MLSE

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

So, what about all the players that missed games this season because the rules were enforced? It's an awful mess and everyone looks terrible. Thanks again, MLSE for being horrible! 

Only difference to me is the who is making the decisions. If a player breaks protocol, then its all on them. If the team directs players to do something, the players likely think the team is onside with protocol. Colossal **** up all around though. 

CFL just put out a statement on the situation. He will quarantine for two days, and if another negative test happens, he will be cleared for play on Sunday. Just won’t practice today or tomorrow. 

My take is this is the best they could do in a near impossible situation, and a quick and decisive response by them to balance the interests of safety and the integrity of the game on Sunday. 
https://www.cfl.ca/2021/12/03/cfl-issues-decision-status-argos-qb-mcleod-bethel-thompson/