The Jets bitchfest thread

OK, big losing streak and the wolves are at the door. So let’s hear from the Armchair GMs here - what do we do? And for every knee-jerk response I want you to play it out with all the salary cap or roster implications. No empty whining, offer some real solutions  

Fire Maurice? And replace him with whom? And will it make a difference?

Bench players? And replace them with whom? Line-up shuffling? Who plays with whom?

Big trade? Who for who? And is it a realistic get?

Blow it all up? And where do we re-start? And how low do we go before we re-build?

Here is a chance for everyone to not just vent their spleen it offer a constructive chance to rectify this team. Go. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

• TrueBlue4ever changed the title to The Jets bitchfest thread

I think the more important question is when is ‘staying the course’ that was set out at the start of the year no longer a viable option and significant changes must happen? What specifics in the Jets play tells one that we’ve crossed over into that threshold and significant changes are needed versus tweaking? Top end hockey minds will have the answers on that not me. Do we remain patient and let them play out of this funk or pull the pin and make some significant personal changes. The amateur hardcore Jet fan who wants them to win every game but says grudgingly be patient, don’t pull any pins yet there’s still time for them to work their way out of this funk. Most every team experiences this at some point in the season. There’s still but that window is closing if the losses continue to pile up.

Of the 5 losses, the first in the shootout against the Oilers was a great road effort and we should have won, the Canucks game same. The home game against Pit I did not see but by all accounts we dominated for 2 periods then fell apart. Columbus was aggravating in that we had some good play but also looked lost at times. Today we deserved a lot more puck luck in the first, but once it was 3-0 we just quit. Big red flag there but is it just a one off with all the frustration of not scoring? I would say so unless we get blanked in Calgary. We need a “dirty” goal to get a good feeling. 

All coaches have a shelf life, and Maurice is at his expiry date based simply on tenure, the critics will not care about general success given we haven’t won the Cup, they will not be convinced otherwise. So can him and they will feel good for about 5 games, then will see that he was not the problem. As for replacements, our options would be in-house (Lowry?), Tortarella (certainly would be a spark, but are we going to destroy PLD again? A solid “no” from me), Babcock (great success in Detroit yet they were happy to be rid of him, and after Toronto no one has wanted to touch him - very telling), or Quenneville (would be an instant great hire from a smart winning coach perspective, could we survive the toxic fallout though?) 

And I don’t think that Heinola, Gustafson and Perfetti suddenly make this team loads better. But I would not mind seeing one of them up here to shake up the power play and penalty kill. Again, salary cap affects how feasible that is.

So my answer? Short term try and ride out this slump. If we go another 2-3 weeks like this then I will re-assess. Chances are still there (we could have buried 3 in the first period today) but this team gets too cute at times. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

I'm way way too lazy to calculate salary caps.  Someone else can do that.

I can't stand Blake Wheeler any more, he's just not the same player.  $10 million a year for nothing really.  I think that's on Chevy.  But does Chevy AND Maurice have to go?  Chipman must be losing his crap right now.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I will never understand the Maurice complaining that fans do.......but even if you do replace him.....who the f*** is out there that would be an upgrade?? Babcock coaching CIS? 

That's the problem. If not Maurice it's probably Huddy and isn't Babs still taking 5.8m/yr from Leafs for another 2 years?

27 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

Maurice is going to be gone within the next 2 weeks

He's failing, end of story 

I highly doubt that, but a change is needed and has been for some time.  His approach and this team is stagnant.  I honestly think he is out of ideas.  We’ve scored 5 goals in the last 5 games and his answer is to dress Beaulieu and give him shifts at forward?  Seriously?  If that doesn’t tell you he’s scraping the bottom of the barrel, I don’t know what does.

It's not our decision to hire a new coach so that's a stupid thing go say. The fact is the team under his watch isn't getting better.. and it's delusions like Beaulieu or top line 26 or Nash on the pp and just usage of underperforming players. You don't fire Paul then u got to move a core piece... like Laine last year. The only option left is fire the coach. Who replaces him? Who cares really but 8 seasons almost now is a long time and it's the same problems... thank Paul for his time and go get that guy who will push them over the hump Paul can't get over. Unfortunately it's time. It happens to lots of coaches. Can only take a team so far. 

Edited by Goalie

Wheels tires have gone flat....How the team can justify keeping him around is unbelievable ...I don't know what's happening in the dressing room but if I were a player I would be a little more than upset at the 'stay the course' attitude that prevails....The coaches get paid to make corrections if a team is underperforming....Sitting on one's hands gets you a ticket out of town....We're beginning to look like the Canucks..... scared to make a move....We need to be proactive in dealing with what appears to be a club heading for the ditch....Everything should be on the table if this current play continues...

I want to add........Seems to me I remember a quote from Helle in the offseason that we were 'building a dynasty'.....IF that be the case our effort this year has taken a serious hit.....He's got to be more than po'd with what he's seen so far

Edited by Stickem

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Bruce Boudreau here.   I think a bunch of the Jets players need some hard nosed tough love.  The reality is that there are slim pickings.   The Jets window is closing and Wheeler at 8.5M for the next 3 years, is gonna kill our cap.    We have 0 cap space now too, so I don't know who we offload for some cap relief this year.   

3 hours ago, captaincanuck12 said:

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Bruce Boudreau here.   I think a bunch of the Jets players need some hard nosed tough love.  The reality is that there are slim pickings.   The Jets window is closing and Wheeler at 8.5M for the next 3 years, is gonna kill our cap.    We have 0 cap space now too, so I don't know who we offload for some cap relief this year.   

What makes you think Boudreau would get us where Maurice hasn’t? Boudreau’s whole history is good to great regular season followed by spectacular flameouts early in the playoffs. And it’s all fine and good to complain about Wheeler, but he not going to be traded because of that contract, if he is waived we are still on the hook for his salary I believe, and benching him just eats up salary without a player. If we are looking for a panic move, then Scheifele should go on the block. Players who are previously clean and not tough guys who get a big suspension go one of two ways - they smarten up and get motivated to be better (Like Nikita Kucherov did after his playoff suspension) or they shrivel and become worse because they get afraid of becoming a repeat offender or change their game to be the tough guy without skill (Bertuzzi is the most obvious example). I don’t see Scheifele rebounding from that suspension yet. 

5 hours ago, Stickem said:

Wheels tires have gone flat....How the team can justify keeping him around is unbelievable ...I don't know what's happening in the dressing room but if I were a player I would be a little more than upset at the 'stay the course' attitude that prevails....The coaches get paid to make corrections if a team is underperforming....Sitting on one's hands gets you a ticket out of town....We're beginning to look like the Canucks..... scared to make a move....We need to be proactive in dealing with what appears to be a club heading for the ditch....Everything should be on the table if this current play continues...

I want to add........Seems to me I remember a quote from Helle in the offseason that we were 'building a dynasty'.....IF that be the case our effort this year has taken a serious hit.....He's got to be more than po'd with what he's seen so far

The only way this team will ever be a Dynasty is if Wheeler changes his last name to "Carrington"....

2 minutes ago, bustamente said:

I think that Maurice has taken this team as far as he can, don't think he will be canned in season but no playoffs or an early exit and it's time to look for the next coach for the incoming young talent

Heard this every year since 2019.  Correction, heard this every year since 2015 except for 2018. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever