GDT; Game 14 vs Kings

iHeart

Wheeler can't keep up now. Get guys away from him and instantly get better . Guys who play with him struggle. Maurice needs to see this. He's not top 6 anymore 

Look at KFC.   Looks like a different player with Dubois. Must kill 55 and 26 a little bit but yeah... Wheeler is struggling and struggling hard... just can't keep up. It's not his fault tho he's just not a young guy anymore... he's still being overplayed  and would likely benefit from 5 less minutes a game 

Edited by Goalie

10 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Dont forget the Little deal.

Little deal was great. He got hurt. LTIR isn't that big of a deal. Jets can afford it . If he wasn't hurt he'd be a great 3rd line winger or vet 4c right now. Little was all class  

Edited by Goalie

11 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Dont forget the Little deal.

Ah, yes... The gift of hindsight. There was nothing at the time of either he (2017) or Wheeler (2018) signing new contracts that they'd age poorly. Both were reasonable deals based on the production of both forwards. Both were regarded as pretty fair and prudent moves at the time based on circumstances. 

Little was in year 2 of his contract when he got injured but had played well prior to that unfortunate event. Wheeler has no doubt lost a step speed-wise and I don't think he's top 3 at this point, but he's still put up 115 points in 130 regular season games since his new contract became active. (I also wonder if he's not fully recovered from his bout with COVID)

I don't think it's reasonable to paint those two extensions as bad management on Cheveldayoff's part years after the fact. That being said, Wheeler's contract could pose some challenges in the near future if his production continues to slip.

21 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Little would have been paid 6m this year at age 34.

Yeah, no doubt a bad deal, but i have to give Chevy a little room here because in our market we just don't have the options others do. If a guy wants to stay here and is productive we overpay.

16 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Yeah, no doubt a bad deal, but i have to give Chevy a little room here because in our market we just don't have the options others do. If a guy wants to stay here and is productive we overpay.

This is generally the way the NHL is now not just in Winnipeg imo.

You pay for six years to get three years of productivity.

8 hours ago, bb1 said:

How is that an overpay for a 50 point 2 centre at the time. Wheeler was the only real overpay 

Just now, Goalie said:

How is that an overpay for a 50 point 2 centre at the time. Wheeler was the only real overpay 

What other guys have been over paid? None I can think of.