3 stars plus scape goat 2nd last pre season edition

wbbfan

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Also better than the elk and lions ol. Ham and tor are close.  The big issue was we had two guys who weren't tackles at tackle. If Richmond had stayed healthy on blind side it would've been good.

I really hope he's OK and can start next week. 

I think that is too simple an explanation. Adams looked disinterested at times, Cooper was an unmitigated disaster, McGuire was ineffectual. The patchwork O-line did not help, but I would bet that when McGuire threw those interceptions, he had ample time almost every time. I do recall one occasion when he was under pressure and ought to have chucked the ball into the stands.  That said, he did nothing to promote his case for being a good backup. Yes he threw two good passes in a row ending in a TD, but that does not change his sub-par performance. Maybe Pierce should have spoon-fed him a better game plan but that would not have improved his accuracy, or the poor Bomber running game, for that matter. The changes in the O-line were probably responsible for that.

Edited by Tracker

4 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

The running game: any DC worth his salt would scheme to stop the run & force the inexperienced QB to beat the D with his arm. 

Kept running on first down, didn't even try taking a deep shot until McGuire was already rattled. It was not a great game plan, and part of that I think was fear of the weather with a young qb. 

While team needed to be better to put a young qb in a better position. 

Not excusing the poor throws, but just saying it was more than just McGuire wasn't good enough.

42 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I think that is too simple an explanation. Adams looked disinterested at times, Cooper was an unmitigated disaster, McGuire was ineffectual. The patchwork O-line did not help, but I would bet that when McGuire threw those interceptions, he had ample time almost every time. I do recall one occasion when he was under pressure and ought to have chucked the ball into the stands.  That said, he did nothing to promote his case for being a good backup. Yes he threw two good passes in a row ending in a TD, but that does not change his sub-par performance. Maybe Pierce should have spoon-fed him a better game plan but that would not have improved his accuracy, or the poor Bomber running game, for that matter. The changes in the O-line were probably responsible for that.

Cooper can't return punts. And isn't effective as a ko returner. He was good as a back in edm but I don't see use for a back up imp rb with out versatility. 

Adams has been a mess more often then he's been good for 2 seasons now. He blocks great and is a leader. At some point he's gotta take a pay cut and switch out of his premium position or the Bombers have to move on. He isn't too old but he's had a lot of injuries. Seems like that combination has caught up with him. 

McGuire was pressured on atleast 3 of the picks. You have to understand that pressure isn't just a guy about to sack you off the edge it's also the ol being pushed back into your lap. You can't step up or follow through on the pass. 

The play call was every bit as bad as Cooper and McGuires performances. Often we had 3 targets out no combo routes no set up no any thing. You see better run offenses in pop Warner. Buck and Mos pulled back the reigns too hard. 

The running game was good for the first half. After that mtl put 8 and 9 men in the box because they knew what was coming. Which goes on the play call in part too. 

16 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I just have a hard time really getting on mcguires case when at the start of the game he bounced a pass off his receivers face. If that's where the veteran receivers head was is it any wonder the offense looked like complete ass?

I'm an Adams fan, he's been good for a long time for us, but he's got to got to make that catch.  Hate seeing a veteran crap up a raw teammate's first shot like that.

Edited by johnzo

This thread should be renamed the " trying to find the silver lining" thread.

1. Loved Kongbo's game .

2. Sales was also very good.

3. Special teams were good.

Scape goat has to go to McGuire playing behind a very makeshift o'line and questionable play-calling.

HH goes to Darvin Adams. Horrible play when he gets hit by the ball, clearly he didn't think he was the intended receiver on that play. The guy does all kinds of blocking, and I was glad for him to get a TD pass.

1 hour ago, ddanger said:

This thread should be renamed the " trying to find the silver lining" thread.

1. Loved Kongbo's game .

2. Sales was also very good.

3. Special teams were good.

Scape goat has to go to McGuire playing behind a very makeshift o'line and questionable play-calling.

HH goes to Darvin Adams. Horrible play when he gets hit by the ball, clearly he didn't think he was the intended receiver on that play. The guy does all kinds of blocking, and I was glad for him to get a TD pass.

I do like that title. 

Sayles and Kongbo were great. The whole dl played a tremendous game. And the refs didn't call jack on either ol all night.  

16 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah kongbo looked like a starter out there  was in the backfield all night.

that was a huge positive from Saturday... he's been fairly quiet this year but he looked great getting a feature role...

in 2022 maybe Thomas retires and Jeffcoat gets a big payday from the "no-cap" Argos... I think we'd be comfortable maintaining the ratio on the DL and starting Kongbo opposite Jefferson...

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

that was a huge positive from Saturday... he's been fairly quiet this year but he looked great getting a feature role...

in 2022 maybe Thomas retires and Jeffcoat gets a big payday from the "no-cap" Argos... I think we'd be comfortable maintaining the ratio on the DL and starting Kongbo opposite Jefferson...

The only issue in that scenario is we would need a decent back up ni dl. 

I feel like Thomas will play till the wheels fall off too. Idk he's better every year too. 

On 2021-11-14 at 9:21 AM, TBURGESS said:

Patched up or not, the OL gave McGuire enough time and opened holes for the RB. Montreal didn't even get a sack.

Hardly stellar run blocking TBH. In fact you could argue Bombers inability to run the ball contributed mightily to the loss on a bad weather day. Oliveira 7 carries for 27 yds = 3.9yds average. And Augustine 5 carries for 15 yds = 3 yds average

McGuire on the QB draw was our best rusher 2 for 26 yards or 13 yds average. He ran for first downs both times on those. Saw daylight and went for it - head first, no sliding. None of that Matt Nichols diving for the turf 4 yards short of the first down.

52 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I didn't care for the preseason in November approach but I am ok getting guys some reps. The biggest mistake though in my opinion was leaving McGuire in when he was clearly struggling. Give him a break for even a few series to calm down. 

Idk why we didn't get brown in. Even just to run some old stevy package stuff.