CHAMPS at ALS GDT

Nolby

Folks who are writing off McGuire after one game need to chill. It's as if he's the first QB to throw multiple interceptions in a football game. It was his first CFL game in less than ideal conditions.

Bethel-Thompson throws 4 picks: https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/national-sports/toronto-argonauts-can-earn-east-division-playoff-spot-with-home-win-over-bc-lions-4703360

Darian Durant throws 4 picks: https://www.cjme.com/2016/08/21/durant-throws-4-interceptions-in-53-7-loss-to-the-tigercats/

Bo Levi Mitchel throws 4 picks: https://3downnation.com/2021/08/13/bo-levi-mitchell-throws-career-worst-four-interceptions-in-loss-to-b-c-lions/

Johnny Manziel throws 4 picks in the FIRST HALF lol: https://www.nfl.com/news/johnny-manziel-throws-four-interceptions-in-cfl-debut-0ap3000000944668

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Meh...offence was out of synch..i expected that. McGuire was poor tho.

It was interesting.  He randomly completed some long throws, then started throwing downfield more, but the Als adjusted and picked him off.

It was, at best, a steep learning curve - not aided by a subpar OL in front of him

4 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

He definitely wasn't getting the protection.  

And inexperienced QB, minus your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd offensive tackles 

His performance was disappointing, but not entirely unexpected. 

McGuire threw two passes in a row that were good and resulted in a Bomber TD, the rest of the game, he played very poorly, and it sure as spit that wasn't the result of the rain or poor pass protection. He underthrew, threw too hard or too softly or right into the arms of a defender. Very few positives for him in this game. No doubt the coaches will break the film down but there will be no public criticism, so this is a dead issue. I doubt we will see McGuire in a game again barring a catastrophic injury to Collaros. 

Just now, Tracker said:

McGuire threw two passes in a row that were good and resulted in a Bomber TD, the rest of the game, he played very poorly, and it sure as spit that wasn't the result of the rain or poor pass protection. He underthrew, threw too hard or too softly or right into the arms of a defender. Very few positives for him in this game. No doubt the coaches will break the film down but there will be no public criticism, so this is a dead issue. I doubt we will see McGuire in a game again barring a catastrophic injury to Collaros. 

He will be in on 2nd and 3rd and short situations 

You're very overly dramatic tho  like all the time 

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

Poor pass pro often leads to poor throws.  Not sure how anyone can say pass pro was okay, given what ZC has been getting all year. 

Fully expected an L today with resting so many guys and leaders really. 

Fact we lost by 14 and 8 were a direct result from Cooper 

All in all I'd say our 2nd 3rd 4th string guys had a ok showing. Montreal don't suck either. They are my pick from the East 

The monsoon like conditions made it tough... we had not much of a run game 

7 for 27 

2 for 26 

5 for 15 

Brady McG Auggy  

18 for 65. Stanback 

Should have pounded the rock more 

Edited by Goalie

I only want to see McGuire on short yardage situations....He's more than capable at that......He appears to need more seasoning at the passing game (really you say) ....I don't want to be too hard on the kid BUT we need to keep Zack healthy for the rest of the way.....period

Edited by Stickem

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Game reps for our depth. All good come December.

Exactly 

When I saw the depth chart I said... this is definitely a nothing game for us standings wise but for several guys to get game day reps vs a good Montreal team is important 

Curious

What do u do next week? We get a bye so Zach get a half? Do we play our starters half? 

Bombers D held Stanback to 65 yds - very stout run defence.

OTOH Bombers run game was even less successful. Oliviera was 7 carries for 27 yards - most of which came early in the 1st Q resulting in a TD.

Augustine (who I like alot as a tailback) was just 5 for 15 for an average of 3 yards per.

We were 2nd and long all game, which impacts play-calling.

That factors into the outcome.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

If they let McGuire run an aggressive down field passing attack that might help too. He is clearly not a nickle and dime offense guy.  

I said earlier. Until the 4th quarter on first down we were running the ball on first down. Being a rookie on 2nd and 7 isn’t the ideal position to be in 

I'm not sure why anyone's surprised or upset. All we needed to do was get out of the game without any injuries to starters and we did that.

McGuire looked like a QB getting his first start. Bad decisions. Bad throws. One set of downs where he looked like he knew what he was doing. The rest of the time he rookie'd it. Next week he should look better.

Cooper played himself off the team IMO. That performance was as bad as any rookie performance and Shaq's no rookie.

I'd like to see Collaros get enough reps next week to get comfortable, then pull him so he can't get hurt. Today's game showed once again that Collaros is the difference maker. No Collaros = No Playoff wins for us.

36 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I said earlier. Until the 4th quarter on first down we were running the ball on first down. Being a rookie on 2nd and 7 isn’t the ideal position to be in 

We should've done more. Play action boots jet sweep fast screens you name it. The offensive play call was in pre season form. All the smart set up gadgets and wrinkles were gone. 

13 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Wasn’t he just coming back from injury? I wouldn’t have played him at all. Need the hogs healthy for the playoffs 

He was. I think it was a mix of precaution and not intending to have him play the full game.  That's why we dressed the extra ol. I don't think yoshi was ever going to play more than a quarter. 

Just now, aalgernon said:

I'm not stressed or worried about the team at all. And McGuire looked like garbage today.

Then I have some flowers for you lol. 

I hate the loss. I hate the passive play call. But our back ups on d looked great in a lopsided top game. 

18 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Wasn’t he just coming back from injury? I wouldn’t have played him at all. Need the hogs healthy for the playoffs 

You also need to get him some reps at game speed. Hoping they were just giving him a few reps and then got him outta there. 

That 4th quarter was a nightmare. Credit to the defense for not giving up more points. I'm of the opinion they play Collaros in Calgary. He can't go 4 weeks without playing as that isn't a great plan. If McGuire had shown more I'd have said he should play a half or more next week. I think we have no chance with him playing instead of Collaros. I don't want to see us going into the Western Final on a 2 game losing street. However, I also don't want to see Collaros injured so it's a real balancing act. A tough decision for O'Shea. I expect the Bomber wagons with our HC leading the way to circle around McGuire to protect him from criticism. To play Zach or not will be a topic for fans & media this coming week. Shaq Cooper needs an apple & a road map outta town. That was a dreadful performance from him. He cost us 8 points.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 hours ago, Doublezero said:

Folks who are writing off McGuire after one game need to chill. It's as if he's the first QB to throw multiple interceptions in a football game. It was his first CFL game in less than ideal conditions.

Bethel-Thompson throws 4 picks: https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/national-sports/toronto-argonauts-can-earn-east-division-playoff-spot-with-home-win-over-bc-lions-4703360

Darian Durant throws 4 picks: https://www.cjme.com/2016/08/21/durant-throws-4-interceptions-in-53-7-loss-to-the-tigercats/

Bo Levi Mitchel throws 4 picks: https://3downnation.com/2021/08/13/bo-levi-mitchell-throws-career-worst-four-interceptions-in-loss-to-b-c-lions/

Johnny Manziel throws 4 picks in the FIRST HALF lol: https://www.nfl.com/news/johnny-manziel-throws-four-interceptions-in-cfl-debut-0ap3000000944668

You have pointed out that of the four aforementioned QBs, only one turned out to be good. Durant was good for one year, Bethel-Thompson is average on a good day and he has had few of those. And Manziel........

I've seen the narrative "We have no chance with McGuire / We'll never win a game with McGuire" in this thread, and I just wanna say I don't buy that. McGuire with a full complement of 1s and a proper game plan for it can get us a win....I really believe that.