Bye Bob (Irving Retirement)

1 minute ago, JCon said:

My issue with DT is that he totally leaned into the "Riderville" bit. Lost objectivity, in my opinion, and I would be concerned if he came here and did the same. 

I want another Bob. Someone who remains objective and will call things for what they are. Bob obviously loved the Bombers because he knew them but was never beholden to anyone in the organization. No one can be perfectly impartial but I think they should always strive for that in their coverage. 

I agree with what you're saying.....but I think the difference would be what's expected from the CKRM vs what's expected from CJOB. There are different expectations from the fans of each team...I really believe that. 

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I agree with what you're saying.....but I think the difference would be what's expected from the CKRM vs what's expected from CJOB. There are different expectations from the fans of each team...I really believe that. 

I would hope so. 

12 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

I feel that both Mackling and Taylor (especially Mackling) don't have the capacity for restraint. I'm all for enthusiasm, but when Bob called a game, you knew it was a great play when he got excited. These guys are excited all the time. 

this is an interesting and accurate statement. With PBP, you want to build toward the big moments, so fans know when it's REALLY important. Not even just within a game, but within a season. You're not AS excited during a call early in the season as you would/should be toward the end of the season...you're building, in theory, toward playoffs. 

A couple things, in relation to all this.... I expect Michael Ball ("Ballsy" from CKRM's sister station The Wolf morning show) to be the lead candidate for the gig. He wanted it worse than bad the last go 'round, but they didn't want to take him off his current gig. He'll make a big push, I expect, to take over this time.    And with DT....his wife/girlfriend/partner works in media as well. Was with Global Regina.....so her job is a consideration for wherever their landing spot is. As has been speculated, it's either Toronto or Winnipeg for them, I suspect. 

Edited by Noeller

13 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I agree. When you sign on as CKRM's pbp guy there is a Rider bootlicker behavioral clause built in. Taylor would have much more freedom to present non-biased coverage with CJOB and I suspect, if he comes here, that was a big factor.

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

I agree. When you sign on as CKRM's pbp guy there is a Rider bootlicker behavioral clause built in. Taylor would have much more freedom to present non-biased coverage with CJOB and I suspect, if he comes here, that was a big factor.

100% this. 

12 minutes ago, Booch said:

Even the announcers want out of Regina haha

Rod Pederson has said numerous times on his podcast that there were a tons of opinions and criticisms he had that had to remain behind closed doors, because CKRM was pro-Riders in all and every comment.

Edited by GCn20

36 minutes ago, JCon said:

My issue with DT is that he totally leaned into the "Riderville" bit. Lost objectivity, in my opinion, and I would be concerned if he came here and did the same. 

I want another Bob. Someone who remains objective and will call things for what they are. Bob obviously loved the Bombers because he knew them but was never beholden to anyone in the organization. No one can be perfectly impartial but I think they should always strive for that in their coverage. 

The difference is this organization aren't run like a bunch of small town hacks. Wade Miller isn't going to tell Taylor to blow smoke up the teams asses all day. That was definitely the mandate in Saskatchewan, though.

Edited by Dr Zaius

34 minutes ago, Noeller said:

this is an interesting and accurate statement. With PBP, you want to build toward the big moments, so fans know when it's REALLY important. Not even just within a game, but within a season. You're not AS excited during a call early in the season as you would/should be toward the end of the season...you're building, in theory, toward playoffs. 

A couple things, in relation to all this.... I expect Michael Ball ("Ballsy" from CKRM's sister station The Wolf morning show) to be the lead candidate for the gig. He wanted it worse than bad the last go 'round, but they didn't want to take him off his current gig. He'll make a big push, I expect, to take over this time.    And with DT....his wife/girlfriend/partner works in media as well. Was with Global Regina.....so her job is a consideration for wherever their landing spot is. As has been speculated, it's either Toronto or Winnipeg for them, I suspect. 

I usually stay away from Riderfans but I was curious if they had some background on his departure. Not so much but they all assume he's coming here. DT also confirmed that he was departing. 

But, almost to a poster, they were strongly against Ballsy becoming the next PBP guy. Too over-the-top for them. Just interesting. 

26 minutes ago, JCon said:

I usually stay away from Riderfans but I was curious if they had some background on his departure. Not so much but they all assume he's coming here. DT also confirmed that he was departing. 

But, almost to a poster, they were strongly against Ballsy becoming the next PBP guy. Too over-the-top for them. Just interesting. 

I’ve heard Ball’s show. I’ll defer to Noeller here, but I’m guessing there are two distinctly different skill sets to show host vs. PBP. 

Having said that, he is podunk horrible.  

to clarify, I am not saying I think he's a great PBP (I have no insight on that) but that he wanted it very very badly the last time around. I was told that he nearly walked out on them when he didn't get it last time. Now, maybe the in-broadcast hosting they have him do (similar to what GMack does during Bombers radiocasts) is enough for him.... we shall see. 

I have never heard his PBP to be honest, and I doubt many here have (why would you?).

I actually like his radio show despite it being super homer charged. That show is 90% CFL which is actually refreshing. 

Maybe DT doesn't love the constant message from the Riders that he cannot criticize them or pump up other teams?  

It will be interesting to see where he ends up I wonder if he is venturing out on his own to do a show. 

2 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I have never heard his PBP to be honest, and I doubt many here have (why would you?).

I actually like his radio show despite it being super homer charged. That show is 90% CFL which is actually refreshing. 

Maybe DT doesn't love the constant message from the Riders that he cannot criticize them or pump up other teams?  

It will be interesting to see where he ends up I wonder if he is venturing out on his own to do a show. 

I was driving last summer, toward the beginning of the season, and decided to listen to their broadcast on Sirius and I didn't hate it. It was a bit "loose" for my taste (he and Mullinder were goofing around a lot on air....way more than Bob/Doug would) but it was solid. In terms of polish, he's around the same place Dustin Neilsen is, so it's not bad. I'd be willing to give him a shot, if that's what the folks at Corus Wpg are deciding. I still think there's a good chance he's headed back to T.O. to work for TSN again. I'm not sure Marshall Ferguson really worked out for them last year, and also not sure how long Rod Smith wants to keep doing PBP. There's a fit there, for DT to step into a TV PBP role. 

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I was driving last summer, toward the beginning of the season, and decided to listen to their broadcast on Sirius and I didn't hate it. It was a bit "loose" for my taste (he and Mullinder were goofing around a lot on air....way more than Bob/Doug would) but it was solid. In terms of polish, he's around the same place Dustin Neilsen is, so it's not bad. I'd be willing to give him a shot, if that's what the folks at Corus Wpg are deciding. I still think there's a good chance he's headed back to T.O. to work for TSN again. I'm not sure Marshall Ferguson really worked out for them last year, and also not sure how long Rod Smith wants to keep doing PBP. There's a fit there, for DT to step into a TV PBP role. 

I definitely will defer to you on his abilities you know what you are talking about better than anyone here.

I am with you on the going back to TSN thing. I do wish/hope he has the ability to do his own podcast where he can do the show he wants and say what he wants.

Edited by Geebrr

Just now, Geebrr said:

I definitely will defer to you on his abilities you know what you are talking about better than anyone here.

I am with you on the going back to TSN thing. I do wish/hope he has the ability to do his own podcast where he can do the show he wants and say whst he wants.

Ferguson still has his side stuff, so I assume DT will too. 

I'm not super familiar with how it all works, but most of the PBP guys at TSN are freelance, to a degree. They have a contract with TSN, but they also have side hustles in the States, for example. So I think there's precedent for a little leeway for podcasts and the like. 

12 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I am with you on the going back to TSN thing. I do wish/hope he has the ability to do his own podcast where he can do the show he wants and say what he wants.

Dustin Neilson still does a bunch of podcast too 

53 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Probably the most likely (and lucrative).

3 hours ago, JCon said:

based on what some other previous/current Rider media is like... Taylor was extremely impartial... 

The bolded statement is impossible... there will never be another Bob and we should not ever expect there to be... he is a legend that will forever be unmatched... we're lucky and thankful that we got him for so long. 

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

One of the things Dustin Nielsen has to learn is being more assertive with Glenn Suitor. To reign him in so he doesn't set the pace of the broadcast saying stupid things or talks too much. Suitor thinks he's the star in the booth when he shouldn't be. I sometimes got the feeling he pushed Nielsen around in a verbal way at times because he's the "veteran" in the booth.

I didn't get a sense of chemistry between them like we see with a duo like Jim Nantz & Tony Romo on CBS, for example. Romo may have been the star qb in Dallas but in the booth you can see he respects Nantz & isn't pushy like Suitor is. Suitor comes across as having very little respect for Nielsen. More like, "Hey kid, don't worry. I got this. You just do pbp & I'll do the rest". Nielsen just lets him get away with it. 

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

He would definitely need a guy like Brown to partner with.

I'd say Brown will have a big say in who he works with.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

One of the things Dustin Nielsen has to learn is being more assertive with Glenn Suitor. To reign him in so he doesn't set the pace of the broadcast saying stupid things or talks too much. Suitor thinks he's the star in the booth when he shouldn't be. I sometimes got the feeling he pushed Nielsen around in a verbal way at times because he's the "veteran" in the booth.

I didn't get a sense of chemistry between them like we see with a duo like Jim Nantz & Tony Romo on CBS, for example. Romo may have been the star qb in Dallas but in the booth you can see he respects Nantz & isn't pushy like Suitor is. Suitor comes across as having very little respect for Nielsen. More like, "Hey kid, don't worry. I got this. You just do pbp & I'll do the rest". Nielsen just lets him get away with it. 

I'd say Brown will have a big say in who he works with.

Definitely not.