Bye Bob (Irving Retirement)

12 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Some people in my section at THF were booing an in game recognition of Bob.

Unreal

Bomber fans in my section gave it a standing ovation. Cats fans who were not aware of him applauded in recognition when I explained why it was a big deal. Nice gesture by the Tiger-Cats organization to put up the video tribute to him, and to Brian Williams. 

6 hours ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Listening to the last coaches show. Bob said he wasn’t hanging up the mic entirely and that we would be hearing from him still. I wonder if he will just be doing the coaches show or if he will have a new segment on CJOB or something. 

He did say right away that he wouldn't be doing the coaches show.  I'm guessing that it will be guest spots here and there throughout the season.

1 hour ago, Sard said:

He did say right away that he wouldn't be doing the coaches show.  I'm guessing that it will be guest spots here and there throughout the season.

Yeah, I bet he sticks around to help ease in the new PBP person but that we don't hear him but for a few spots on Bomber news. I don't know if OB has settled on his replacement, unless they've already decided on Moore. 

On 2021-12-13 at 7:47 AM, wbbfan said:

I had hoped we'd honor Bob first game next year when we raise the banner. Drown him in cheers. 

I'm happy that he got into the ring of honour and really got a lot of great send offs. I love his work and know that Bomber broadcasts won't be the same going forward but I'm glad of the way he went out. 

Time to turn the page. He will never be forgotten and will never be out of the Bomber family. 

2022 will be a new era in Bomber broadcasting. 

7 hours ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Listening to the last coaches show. Bob said he wasn’t hanging up the mic entirely and that we would be hearing from him still. I wonder if he will just be doing the coaches show or if he will have a new segment on CJOB or something. 

I think he might do the 3 keys to the game with Ed Tait their video they do each week before game.

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Yeah, I bet he sticks around to help ease in the new PBP person but that we don't hear him but for a few spots on Bomber news. I don't know if OB has settled on his replacement, unless they've already decided on Moore. 

I'm happy that he got into the ring of honour and really got a lot of great send offs. I love his work and know that Bomber broadcasts won't be the same going forward but I'm glad of the way he went out. 

Time to turn the page. He will never be forgotten and will never be out of the Bomber family. 

2022 will be a new era in Bomber broadcasting. 

Yeah, we can't keep honouring him forever. At some point, you turn the page and it's a new era, which is what he'd want. He went out with a storybook ending, and now it's time for the next gen. I have my thoughts on who will be calling Bombers games next year, but I'm interested to see how it all ends up going. It'll never be the same, but best of luck to the next one for sure. 

41 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Yeah, we can't keep honouring him forever. At some point, you turn the page and it's a new era, which is what he'd want. He went out with a storybook ending, and now it's time for the next gen. I have my thoughts on who will be calling Bombers games next year, but I'm interested to see how it all ends up going. It'll never be the same, but best of luck to the next one for sure. 

Yup. He is happy with his decision, he went out as good as possible.

You know, if Bob had retired before Covid there would have been a huge retirement banquet for the guy. he'd have been roasted by some of the best Canadian sports & local media writers & broadcasters. It would have been a night of a lotta laughs. Too bad things have changed with Covid because if anyone deserves a sendoff like that, it's Bob Irving. 

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You know, if Bob had retired before Covid there would have been a huge retirement banquet for the guy. he'd have been roasted by some of the best Canadian sports & local media writers & broadcasters. It would have been a night of a lotta laughs. Too bad things have changed with Covid because if anyone deserves a sendoff like that, it's Bob Irving. 

I don't think he has any regrets about his sendoff.........

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I know but more would have been done. I mean, they had a huge gala for Don Jonas after he was traded to Hamilton the following off season. 

sure, but honestly, who cares? I mean, talk about first world problems. We're in the middle of the deadliest pandemic ever....

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

sure, but honestly, who cares? I mean, talk about first world problems. We're in the middle of the deadliest pandemic ever....

His name is all over the stadium including the ring of honour. I think if you asked him - he is uncomfortable with it already.

Some people don't like huge deals being made over stuff like doing your job (myself included) and don't love the attention. 

9 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Ehhh not sure I like this phrasing... are you talking raw numbers? Cause there are literally billions more people around than during previous pandemics. 

I've seen estimates of the Black Plague having killed off between 5 - 10% of the entire world's population by the time it was done killing.  Pretty insane.