Bye Bob (Irving Retirement)

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Back in the dark ages before tsn showed every game I never really felt like I was missing out because Bob was so good at calling the play. Guy is just stupidly good at his job.

professional broadcaster + passion for the team and league = Bob Irving, GOAT CFL Broadcaster

On 2021-11-12 at 9:41 AM, Noeller said:

Irving apparently let the other media members know, during TC, that this was going to be his last season. They just made it public recently. Said that all the other work, aside from calling the games, has become too much. More than fair. 

Lots of prep time to do a game. Hours of research & study. That can be wearing. 

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

professional broadcaster + passion for the team and league = Bob Irving, GOAT CFL Broadcaster

Mark Stephen in calgary is another guy in the Bob Irving mould. He's been calling Stamps games now for over 30 years & he's very good.

11 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Lots of prep time to do a game. Hours of research & study. That can be wearing. 

Mark Stephen in calgary is another guy in the Bob Irving mould. He's been calling Stamps games now for over 30 years & he's very good.

Sir, I have listened to the CHQR radio broadcasts........ please do not speak Mark Stephen's name in the same breath as Bob Irving. 

10 hours ago, Noeller said:

Sir, I have listened to the CHQR radio broadcasts........ please do not speak Mark Stephen's name in the same breath as Bob Irving. 

Really? I thought he was pretty good. Surprised you said that. I never said he was equal or better than Irving just that he does a good job calling the plays.

6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Really? I thought he was pretty good. Surprised you said that. I never said he was equal or better than Irving just that he does a good job calling the plays.

I don't know those guys, so it's nothing personal, but I have a really tough time listening to their broadcast (I have listened often). As with most things Calgary, I find them to be incredible homers and don't feel like they know that much about the game. They come across as a couple of fans who were given microphones. But just my own personal take. 

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I don't know those guys, so it's nothing personal, but I have a really tough time listening to their broadcast (I have listened often). As with most things Calgary, I find them to be incredible homers and don't feel like they know that much about the game. They come across as a couple of fans who were given microphones. But just my own personal take. 

No, that's your opinion & that's alright as I respect it. I think Mark Stephen is a good football broadcaster but that's me. They're homers absolutely. Bob is a different breed of cat. An old school broadcaster doing the same job for nearly half a century.  He does stay neutral as much as he can when he does the games.

I grew up in Calgary and went to games and listened to games on the radio. From the GameDay announcer to the radio guys there was always a level of arrogance that goes well beyond anything I've found in other markets. I get that you are broadcasting to the local audience and the focus of the broadcasts is going to be from a Stamps perspective.  But there was never a need for such arrogance.  

I know many don't like the call in portion of the post game show on CJOB, but last night had some good moments. Many people calling in just to wish Bob a happy retirement and tell him how much his work has meant to them. A few of the callers seemed like they must have been cutting onions in the background. Some fairly emotional calls.

Link below if anyone is interested:

https://globalnews.ca/pages/audio-vault-cjob/

6 hours ago, WildPath said:

I know many don't like the call in portion of the post game show on CJOB, but last night had some good moments. Many people calling in just to wish Bob a happy retirement and tell him how much his work has meant to them. A few of the callers seemed like they must have been cutting onions in the background. Some fairly emotional calls.

Link below if anyone is interested:

https://globalnews.ca/pages/audio-vault-cjob/

I was 20 years old when he started calling Bomber games. Now, I'm 66. That's amazing.

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

A classic advertisement for 680 CJOB.

CJOB print ad from the mid 70's & I remember everyone of them. 

the most hilarious thing about this is that they had that many bodies on payroll. These days, every one of these jobs would have to be covered by 2 or 3 people, MAX. 

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I remember his Moments Of Meditation. 

I recall a broadcast where he reported that residents in a given neighbourhood were up in arms about a group home for the developmentally delayed being proposed. He called it out for what it was -intolerance and invited the organizers to consider placing that group home in his neighbourhood.