Bye Bob (Irving Retirement)

Just now, Noeller said:

I wonder if Corus could buy some kinda rights.... The issue is that nothing is local anymore. With online streaming, CJOB can, in theory, take a chunk out of Bell's radiocast. I just have such a hard time seeing two big corporates get along that much. 

Won't Bell just play the game on one of their local stations? They'll have to do that in other markets too. Unless, Corus would buy (sublet?) the rights to play the broadcast locally? 

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Well that's just it.  It would involve corus paying to broadcast the game. The other option would be for bell to hire Irving to call the game, but that would be bad optics for a national broadcast to have a home announcer. Though if anyone can be professional about it it'd be Irving.

Bob used to pair on the road with Neil Lumsden as a colour guy for Ticats broadcasts, and with an ex-Montreal player (name escapes me, almost want to say Pat Woodcock) for Alouette broadcasts, and they were excellent. Especially Lumsden. I would heartily endorse that kind of “balanced” broadcast. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

19 minutes ago, JCon said:

Won't Bell just play the game on one of their local stations? They'll have to do that in other markets too. Unless, Corus would buy (sublet?) the rights to play the broadcast locally? 

No they won't air it on the radio in Winnipeg I don't think.... Can't see them going away from a current format just for the game, but who knows. I could absolutely see Bell doing something petty just to **** Corus in the ass. It would be par for the course for big corporates. 

51 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Actually not only did he come to my McDonald's and complain about the lack of salt on his fries, he followed me home to my Mom's basement.

My mom gave him milk and cookies when he showed up at our house.  He felt kind of sheepish after that.

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Actually not only did he come to my McDonald's and complain about the lack of salt on his fries, he followed me home to my Mom's basement.

You're clearly a fraud. Any self-respecting mother of a basement dweller would never expect her adult son to work.

9 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Doug was still a player.

Kelly had that legendary post game interview with Bob & Mitch Zalnasky where he was downright nasty to them both after a loss in Montreal. That was the beginning of the end for Mike Kelly. If a coach is angry at Bob Irving then it's time to go as Bob will find positives even in a Bomber loss. Then the rudeness to callers Kelly would show on The Coach's Show to the point they stopped having callers talking to him. Yeah, most questions from fans are stupid but as the face of the team Kelly never showed any decorum & spit venom whenever he could. He sure wore out his welcome in just one season.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

29 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Kelly had that legendary post game interview with Bob & Mitch Zalnasky where he was downright nasty to them both after a loss in Montreal. That was the beginning of the end for Mike Kelly. If a coach is angry at Bob Irving then it's time to go as Bob will find positives even in a Bomber loss. Then the rudeness to callers Kelly would show on The Coach's Show to the point they stopped having callers talking to him. Yeah, most questions from fans are stupid but as the face of the team Kelly never showed any decorum & spit venom whenever he could. He sure wore out his welcome in just one season.

Kelly had some serious anger management issues.  He would go from zero to 100 very quickly.  That was a problem.  And I agree, when he called Bob Irving's questions "bullshit" on live radio that was pretty much the end.  You don't talk to Bob like that.  Even Putin wouldn't have done that lol...

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

17 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think he was going thru a rough period in his life. Under lots of pressure as the Bomber HC made it worse & he snapped. I think we need to walk in another man's shoes before we judge others & show a little compassion. 

Yes, he was going through a rough spot.   No excuse for treating people how you illustrated in your first quoted post.   People show their true colours in tough times.  Never really an excuse for being an *******.  

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think he was going thru a rough period in his life. Under lots of pressure as the Bomber HC made it worse & he snapped. I think we need to walk in another man's shoes before we judge others & show a little compassion. 

Nope no compassion from me,  everyone has stress in life and it doesn't give anyone a free card to be a ****.   Maybe if he checked his ego at the door he would of had an easier go of it both in his personal and professional life.    Also a real man doesn't assault a woman.  

Edited by Brandon

21 minutes ago, brett_c_b said:

So we all knew Bob had to go eventually. Curious if he planned for this to be his last year, or an undefeated season at home made it feel like the right time to ride into the sunset

Bob quoted health & family reasons. He says he no longer has fun doing the games nor the energy & he knew it was time to retire. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Bob quoted health & family reasons. He says he no longer has fun doing the games nor the energy & he knew it was time to retire. 

There was a story in December 2020 in the Sun saying he planned to call one more season after the Grey Cup win and then go. The pandemic pushed his time frame back one year. This has been something planned for quite a while now. 

7 hours ago, Brandon said:

Nope no compassion from me,  everyone has stress in life and it doesn't give anyone a free card to be a ****.   Maybe if he checked his ego at the door he would of had an easier go of it both in his personal and professional life.    Also a real man doesn't assault a woman.  

Violent guys like Kelly need a lot of help but their egos and general toxicity often prevent them from getting it til they hurt someone badly or end up in jail or worse. It gets worse and worse the longer they get away with it. Kelly did eventually take counseling, but it took being arrested to do it.