Bye Bob (Irving Retirement)

8 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I would love soo much for the first home game next year to feature Bob Irving's name going up on the ring of excellence. And another great cup banner would be nice too. 

I would almost say statue.  Bob truly a bomber legend 

The announcers center at igf is called Bob Irving something isn't it? Only thing left is statue 

Edited by Goalie

Grew up cementing myself as a HardCore Blue Bomber and Jet fan with the help of Bob Irving and Curt Kielback.

Turning off the sound of the tv and tuning in Irving and Kielback was a joy even if there was a delay didn't matter.

Bob Irving is a true Blue Bomber legend who should have a statue of himself as you enter into IG field no question.

Thanks for the decades of entertainment Mr. Bob Irving.   

6 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Kelly Moore did the PBP from Vancouver when Bob was sick a few years ago. I suspect he would have the inside track. 

For rhe love of Zeus

He’s just the absolute best - the person and the broadcaster! The organization will hold a pre game ceremony in recognition of Bob prior to the Western Final on December 5th at IG Field.

This is absolutely brutal for me on a few levels. 

As a fan.....there are few things in life that I enjoy more than Irving/Tait/Brown on the radio. I've said it before, but I could listen to those guys BS about the CFL all day. They will never be able to re-create that, no matter what they do. 

As a broadcaster/program director, you'll never find a better role model. He is the very definition of professional. Every single aspiring sports broadcaster should model themselves after Bob. No stupid bullshit or gimmicks....just the straight facts all the time. And little to no patience for anything else. 

I have absolutely no clue how they'll go about replacing him. There are options "in house", there are options within the city, not currently within Corus, and there are external options (seriously, the Rod Black thing isn't the worst idea I ever heard...). 

I'm sad because it's ending, but I'm happy I got to experience it while it happened. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

As a broadcaster/program director, you'll never find a better role model. He is the very definition of professional. Every single aspiring sports broadcaster should model themselves after Bob. No stupid bullshit or gimmicks....just the straight facts all the time. And little to no patience for anything else.

Couldn't agree more. Irving is a broadcaster for those who actually like the sport and don't feel there needs to be any gimmicks. Doesn't feel the need to be cheap or artificial because he genuinely loves the game.

My introduction to the Bombers as a kid was through listening to Bob call the games. We didn't have cable/satellite for the longest time, but I would be able to see a few games on CBC and maybe a game at the stadium in the cheapest seats every year or two. Mostly I relied on Bob to paint the picture of what Canadian football is. Was I ever lucky to be introduced to football by that man. I don't know if I would have the same love for the Canadian game without him.

If you've never seen/heard it, it's worth your time to track down some old Bombers games on YouTube that were only broadcast on the "Canadian Football Network" (because the CFL didn't have a TSN/CBC deal at the time). Irving was the PBP for it. It's a lot of fun to watch those...