Bye Bob (Irving Retirement)

20 minutes ago, JCon said:

This leaves the city with no good play-by-play callers. How do you replace Bob? 

You can't but someone is going to come in here and do the job. Hopefully everyone gives that person room to grow into the job and don't compare them to Bob because there will never be another Bob Irving.

Just now, Jpan85 said:

You can't but someone is going to come in here and do the job. Hopefully everyone gives that person room to grow into the job and don't compare them to Bob because there will never be another Bob Irving.

I'm sure even Bob showed room for improvement in the beginning.

Won't be as bad as we think without Bob. Part of Bob's incredible legacy is the team he assembled over the years to make his broadcasts so awesome. The next guy will not be Bob, but he gets Bob's gameday machine.

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Colour is very different from PBP. 

For sure, and there is a vet in house for color already. Doug does a nice job with that.

36 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

I know it will never happen due to contractual issues, but wouldn't it be awesome as an exception to have Bob do play by play on Dec 12 nation-wide?

Well, TSN loves those in-game interviews, and has even asked a country music star to step in and do play-by-play. This would be the one time I would whole heartedly endorse that segue. Honestly, Bob would do a better job at it than any of the current  PBP guys employed by TSN (no disrespect to Rod Smith). Would be very fitting to allow Bob to step in and broadcast his first Grey Cup since 1998 (when the local broadcaster for the host city got the radio gig), especially if the Blue Bombers get there again.