Non Bombers you enjoyed watching( present or past)

Nolby

I had some favourites when I was much younger. The Bombers were like the Elks back in the late 60's with very few great players. We couldn't score touchdowns on offense & we couldn't stop teams from scoring them. We used to get our asses kicked on a weekly basis. We had one superstar in HB Dave Raimey whom we traded for Argos QB Wally Gabler. There wasn't much after Raimey left so I liked some players from other teams. My favourite was Stamps QB Peter Liske. The first CFL qb to throw for 4000 yards in 1967. 

Another was Lions Jim Young. The wingback/SB for the Lions was a phenomenal player & one of the true characters in the history of the league. He wrote a bestseller in 1973 called Dirty 30 (his nickname as a player). 

Then there was Halfback Rudy Linterman of the Stamps. He was the first player I ever saw who had long hair flowing out of the back of his helmet & he wore low top white shoes while the other players wore high top black boots. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I had some favourites when I was much younger. The Bombers were like the Elks back in the late 60's with very few great players. We couldn't score touchdowns on offense & we couldn't stop teams from scoring them. We used to get our asses kicked on a weekly basis. We had one superstar in HB Dave Raimey whom we traded for Argos QB Wally Gabler. There wasn't much after Raimey left so I liked some players from other teams. My favourite was Stamps QB Peter Liske. The first CFL qb to throw for 4000 yards in 1967. 

Another was Lions Jim Young. The wingback/SB for the Lions was a phenomenal player & one of the true characters in the history of the league. He wrote a bestseller in 1973 called Dirty 30 (his nickname as a player). 

Then there was Halfback Rudy Linterman of the Stamps. He was the first player I ever saw who had long hair flowing out of the back of his helmet & he wore low top white shoes while the other players wore high top black boots. 

Those are some remarkable names. Playing halfback as a kid in a make up game I had to be “Dave Raimey”. Everyone had to be a player I guess. My best Buddy was Ron Lancaster. When the bombers stunk in that era, I would have to like the stamps, they could beat the stinkin riders.  Liske was a treat to watch, yet the stamps defence was fantastic. Wayne Harris of course, but Granville Liggins was a fast hard working ,multi sport (wrestling) athlete, heisman candidate, and became a Canadian citizen. I didn’t like Joe Kapp til he went to Minnesota. Joe Zuger had a cool name, won three cups and played two roles, so had to cheer for him. Angelo Mosca, still the meanest player in CFL history, and John Barrow were a force. 

8 hours ago, CodyT said:

Man I remember going to a game in the new stadium where Ray lit us up so badly. Something like 27/30 passing. It was embarassing to watch

Ditto Doug Flutie - something insane like an 85% completion rate. But Jeff Reinbolde believed it was due to all the missed defensive assignments. 

41 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

He may have done it twice, once in each stadium. We had some lean years there and I have scrubbed out a lot of those memories through intensive therapy. 

Better recycle all those old whiskey bottles...it'll be lurking in their depths...

13 hours ago, Rod Black said:

Those are some remarkable names. Playing halfback as a kid in a make up game I had to be “Dave Raimey”. Everyone had to be a player I guess. My best Buddy was Ron Lancaster. When the bombers stunk in that era, I would have to like the stamps, they could beat the stinkin riders.  Liske was a treat to watch, yet the stamps defence was fantastic. Wayne Harris of course, but Granville Liggins was a fast hard working ,multi sport (wrestling) athlete, heisman candidate, and became a Canadian citizen. I didn’t like Joe Kapp til he went to Minnesota. Joe Zuger had a cool name, won three cups and played two roles, so had to cheer for him. Angelo Mosca, still the meanest player in CFL history, and John Barrow were a force. 

Bomber fans today who weren't around when Dave Raimey played for the Bombers have no idea just how good he was & the moves he put on would be tacklers. He wasn't called The Knife for nothing. Playing on brutal Bomber teams with sub par offensive lines & crappy qbs defenses could key on him & he still was a thousand yard rusher. Put him on a powerhouse team like Ottawa, Calgary & Sask at the time & he'd have been a 1600-1700 yard rusher. He was traded early season in the 1969 season to the Argos where he shared the same backfield with another thousand yard all star halfback by the name of Bill Symons.  A season ending knee injury in 1970 ended his career as an offensive halfback but in 1971 he switched to cornerback & played very well at that position until 1975 when he retired. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2021-10-31 at 1:27 AM, johnzo said:

Big SJ Green fan here. 

Way back in the deep time, I wore 59 on my jerseys because of Mike O'Shea. You can imagine how jazzed i was when he became a bomber.

You mean 50??

when Bighill first got here he was wearing 50 in TC because Gauthier has some kind of sentimental attachment to 44… I absolutely loved the idea of Bighill wearing 50 because that’s a badass MLB number and coach O’Shea…

also Bighill is a player I liked watching as a Lion but LOVE watching as a Bomber…

Edited by bearpants

23 hours ago, CodyT said:

I dont think so. I think this was year one of investors group. Probably happened several times over his career

The 1st game we played Ray (Argos) at the new stadium the Bombers destroyed them. I remember that game cause Ray was named the #1 player in the league by TSN but the Bombers **** kicked them... I was so full of optimism and hope!! lol

19 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

The 1st game we played Ray (Argos) at the new stadium the Bombers destroyed them. I remember that game cause Ray was named the #1 player in the league by TSN but the Bombers **** kicked them... I was so full of optimism and hope!! lol

I looked this up yesterday to try and find the game I was talking about. Pretty sure I was way off on my timeline