CFL awards

Nolby

As of today,and I know all would say the main hardware is given out on December 12th but we could seriously have The MVP,DPOTY,ROTY and etched in stone is Mike O'Shea for coach or the year. Can't recall the last time something like this has happened.

Edited by Nolby

I genuinely can’t see MOC or MOR going to us, nor should they really.

I think it’s pretty much a foregone conclusion that one of Jeffcoat or Jefferson will win MODP, Collaros will win MOP and O’Shea will be Coach of the Year but I don’t see an argument for any other awards unless Stanley Bryant takes home the lineman award.

Alford has been a stud, but Sankey/Woodard/J. Williams all get the nod as rookie ahead of him and I think Williams has a great shot at taking home MOC as well.

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

I can't wait until they make the all star roster and leave out obvious Bombers that should be on the team. 

So who should be there? Remember that writers will often look at stats when deciding and not necessarily overall impact in a system. And they typically have no clue when it comes to o-line so there they ask coaches. So who would be projected for the Bombers? Note the caveat that with 3 games left stats can change and drastically alter opinions. 

I’ll start with defence and Jefferson, Jeffcoat, Bighill as the obvious ones, Alexander has a very strong case and I can’t think of another candidate who would overtake him, but he doesn’t have the monster stats. Richardson has a decent shot given the talking up of him on TSN, and Alford and Nichols each have 3 picks and could squeeze in with 2 Riders (Gainey and Marshall) and Trumaine Washington in Edmonton if the voters don’t get hung up on being position specific. I love Mike Jones’ work, especially the sure tackling, but I think he might find it hard to squeeze in.

Offensively, Collaros has the best numbers and is on the best team of any QB, so he is a given even if those numbers are not as grandiose as in other years. Harris’ injuries will keep him off the team and everyone get ready to flex and complain because Wilder Jr. may get a spot, especially if they have a two-back set instead of five receivers in the all-star configuration (Carey in Calgary has the inside track but Powell still in play). At receiver Lawler is in, and that is quite possibly it. Even though Demski has had a solid year and Bailey has responded exceptionally well to the early struggles and silenced the haters, there are too many “name” receivers on other teams with similar numbers who will likely surpass them. On the o-line, Bryant almost certainly gets another nod based on reputation alone, although his play absolutely warrants it. Hardrick is dependent on how long he is out. Who can say if the interior gets any notice - the o-line is a “throw darts blindfolded at names on a board and put them in” exercise for writers at the best of times.

Special teams is always punter, kicker, return guy so although Mike Miller is due for a lifetime achievement award if nothing else, he won’t get picked. Grant will be hurt by the lack of kickoff returns since teams don’t score on us, so he won’t get it. Punters are chosen by average, so Liegghio is an afterthought there, and although Mourtada has the best kickoff average in the West by a good bit, kickers are chosen of field goal percentages and total points, so nah. 

O’Shea wins coach of the year in a walk, and Walters gets GM of the year no question, even Marcel Desjardins concedes that one, with Pinball in Toronto getting some votes. 

You could make the case for a Bombers sweep...

MOP - Collaros
MODP - Jefferson, Bighill, or Jeffcoat
MOR - Alford
MOC - Demski
MOOL - Bryant
Coach - Osh

But that won't happened for two reason... other players around the league have been good (or better in some cases) too... and they would never let one team sweep... I'm thinking Collaros, one of those defensive players and O'Shea are basically a lock...

On the all star nods

DE: Jefferson+Jeffcoat

LB: Bighill

Secondary: Alexander, Alford, Nichols

OL: Bryant, Hardrick, Desjarlais, Couture

WR: Demski +Lawler

QB: Collaros

RB: Harris

I see Harris not getting it due to time missed, Demski due to reporter stupidity, One or two on the OL due to reporters thinking guys like Clark are competent and the secondary, well they take 1 or 2 Rider idiots because voters think that those guys can play.

I’ll be very honest, I’m not entirely sure I see Bighill as a divisional all-star this year. It’s certainly possible and he’s playing incredibly well but he also is wildly overrated by Bomber fans. He’s playing a great leadership role and is an anchor on our D, but if you go by sheer numbers (which the voters usually do) then he’s not an all-star. Which is fine. 

As of today, I’d say our sure thing divisional all-stars are Collaros, Bryant, Desjarlais, Lawler, Jefferson, Jeffcoat, Alexander and Alford.

Depending on how things finish off this year, I could also see/argue for Bighill, Nichols, Demski and potentially even Couture getting a nod as well.

4 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

For fun name a tackle playing better than Hardrick.

I can’t, I just don’t know if our OL has or deserves the reputation to get 3-4 nominations out of 5 and Bryant/Desjarlais are the two names I hear talked about in the media most often.

I feel like Calgary’s OL is going to get a few nods there too, they’re playing very well. Honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see a clean sweep of the divisional OL between us and Calgary because Edmonton, Sask and BC have absolute dog **** lines.

39 minutes ago, Mike said:

I’ll be very honest, I’m not entirely sure I see Bighill as a divisional all-star this year. It’s certainly possible and he’s playing incredibly well but he also is wildly overrated by Bomber fans. He’s playing a great leadership role and is an anchor on our D, but if you go by sheer numbers (which the voters usually do) then he’s not an all-star. Which is fine. 

As of today, I’d say our sure thing divisional all-stars are Collaros, Bryant, Desjarlais, Lawler, Jefferson, Jeffcoat, Alexander and Alford.

Depending on how things finish off this year, I could also see/argue for Bighill, Nichols, Demski and potentially even Couture getting a nod as well.

Wow....I don't think you are watching the same Bighill as I am....perhaps his brother Norman? Bighill is definitely the best MIKE in the West this year. It's not just tackles with Biggie he is picking off balls 25 yards downfield, and is blitzing then chasing down guys in the flats. He is a beast this year. 2019 I would have definitely agreed with you but there is nothing over rated about Biggie this year. 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

speaking of awards, anyone see that the Bombers didn't warrant a single Player Of The Week this week, following a 45-0 demolition of the Lions.......?

Even when ripping the league a new ******* the team still doesn't get enough respect and what they do get is given grudgingly. It's fine, I am sure the team is anxious to prove it again.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

But what if the argos wind up first in the east and the voters decide that Dinwiddie is coach of the year for resurrecting the argos? After all, oshea simply kept a good team good.

I won’t try and get in the writer’s heads, and yeah they could come up with that weak excuse, but O’Shea took a good team and didn’t merely keep it good, he turned it into a monster so far ahead of the other 8 you need a telescope to see them. A team this dominant cannot logically be ignored (the key word being “logically”).