Rookie starters in secondary....

do or die

Have to admit, had some trepidation about the left side of the secondary, going with two rooks, there.    
But good grief....... turns out that Alford and Nichols are as good as anyone in the league. 
I know Rose is back, but whatever change is made back there - those two should be left alone....

1 minute ago, do or die said:

Have to admit, had some trepidation about the left side of the secondary, going with two rooks, there.    
But good grief....... turns out that Alford and Nichols are as good as anyone in the league. 
I know Rose is back, but whatever change is made back there - those two should be left alone....

100% agree,the loss of Sayles and Rose(but regained) had us a little iffy but man, those two have been lights out against the best of the best. Like speculated,Rose will likely take Taylor's position but I believe Richie will still try and rotate Taylor in for certain plays,there's just too much ammo to not use.

Just now, BBlink said:

Honestly I'd take Nichols over Sayles. He's been that good for us. Nichols only mistake last night was being in too good of coverage and stepping on Burnhams foot

Sayles is a tremendous player and athlete. But at this point, nichols is as good a player at worst, (not as good an athlete) and dramatically cheaper. That type of change is how great teams become dynasties. Knowing you are letting go a good player but that you have the ability to replace them with a good player who is cheaper. 

I mean they have been nothing short of amazing. 

Alford is an all star. Guy is always in position and brings the wood. 

Idk how you take them off the field. 

And Jones on the other side...his knock down on the back of the endzone.  Wow. 

Now throw in Rose. Stay healthy n hungry. 

Shaping up to be a year for the books. 

I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I would prefer they just left Rose ready to back up anyone in the secondary who gets hurt and otherwise leave the current roster alone. We've given up what, three passing touchdowns all year? At least one of those was to Josh Miller who looked out of his depth to say the least. 

As great as I know Rose is I can't help but ask: why change anything if it is working so well?

2 hours ago, Blue_Dragoon said:

I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I would prefer they just left Rose ready to back up anyone in the secondary who gets hurt and otherwise leave the current roster alone. We've given up what, three passing touchdowns all year? At least one of those was to Josh Miller who looked out of his depth to say the least. 

As great as I know Rose is I can't help but ask: why change anything if it is working so well?

Rose is a CFL all star who had the league lead in interceptions. How don't you plug n play. It's not like he's some bum off the street. He was part of the 2019 team. 

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, Blue_Dragoon said:

I don't know if I agree with you, but if nothing else, he is back in the fold and ready to take a spot next season when one of our current starters inevitably move on.

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

Rose being one such player if all things are equal. What's ridiculous is there's nothing "sloppy seconds" about Sayles - at all. Has was a CFL All-Star in 2019.

No one was disrespecting him, lol.

Universal love for Sayles.

18 minutes ago, Nolby said:

Richie Hall will work Rose in and find a way to rotate Taylor(likely the odd man out) in and out for plays or as depth behind anyone.

I think Taylor probably retires after this year, way on the  wrong side of 30, but he has earned every right to stay on the roster and at worst rotate out a bit. That's more than likely the move unless someone gets hurt the next three games. Rose will be on the roster for sure also.

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

Rose is a CFL all star who had the league lead in interceptions. How don't you plug n play. It's not like he's some bum off the street. He was part of the 2019 team. 

But how long since he's seen "live bullets", as they say? Hasn't played an actual game since the Grey Cup, likely.... vs guys that have been there for 11 weeks now. Trust me, I'm a Winston Rose fan, and fully trust the coaching staff to have a plan, but it's not as simple as "Rose plays immediately and will instantly make them better"...