Anyone know the biggest season point spread for a season?

tacklewasher

The all-time record is Calgary (15-3) in 1994 with a +343 when they scored a record 698 points for and 355 against. Just behind are the 1989 Edmonton “slurs” (16-2) with a +342 and hold the 18 game season record for fewest points allowed at 302 and scored 644 points. Joining the 1997 Argos (15-3) in 3rd spot at +333 is the 1957 Edmonton team (14-2) who outscored their opponents 475-148 in a 16 game season for a record +20.8 points per game differential. For context, this Bomber team is averaging a +16.2 point differential and pro-rated over 18 games would be on pace for a +291. 

The Bombers are out scoring opponents at a ratio of 2.41:1 right now. Notable teams from before 1958 (which is the starting point of the “modern” era when offences changed) are the 1948 Stampeders (12-0) who outscored their opponents 218-61 for a 3.57:1 ratio, the ‘49 Stamps (13-1) who outscored opponents 270-77 for a 3.51:1 ratio, and the aforementioned 1957 now-Elks with a 3:21:1 ratio. In the modern era, the only other teams I can find that outscored their opponents by a 2:1 ratio or better are the Edmonton dynasty teams of 1979 (12-2-2)  who hold the modern day record at 2.26:1 (495-219 points for and against) and 1981 (14-1-1) at 2.08:1 (576-277 for and against), the 1989 Edmonton team noted earlier at 2.13:1, and the 1997 Argos who outscored opponents 660-327 for a 2.02:1 ratio. 

All of which to say, rare air indeed. We are witnessing a special team right now. Soak it in, these seasons come along once in a generation. 

30 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Something I read - Our points for are more than double our points against.

The last team to do that was the 1997 Argos led by none other than Mike O'Shea.

The experience of being on those dominate Argo teams probably a good thing for O'Shea on how to handle the next few weeks.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Super curious to find out how the team handles the next month.....probably the most interesting thing between now and Dec 5.

The beauty of this team is how, especially on defence, we have played a rotational system, so going forward a platoon-style approach would (a) give everyone consistent reps so as not to get stale by sitting and not playing (b) get some extra rest and less chances to get dinged up to the usual starters, and (c) help our back-ups be ready to assimilate more seamlessly if (knock wood) a starter goes down. This is the luxury of clinching in week 11 that few teams ever get. I just remember Dave Ritchie always saying that the sitting of starters in 2001 was the worst thing he could have done and never again would he allow rust to set in. Even after losing Milt in 2002 in week 18 he stuck by that principle. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

19 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The beauty of this team is how, especially on defence, we have played a rotational system, so going forward a platoon-style approach would (a) give everyone consistent reps so as not to get stale by sitting g and not playing (b) get some extra rest and less chances to get dinged up to the usual starters, and (c) helps our back-ups be ready to assimilate more seamlessly if (knock wood) a starter goes down. This is the luxury of clinching in week 11 that few teams ever get. I just remember Dave Ritchie always saying that the sitting of starters in 2001 was the worst thing he could have done and never again would he allow rust to set in. Even after losing Milt in 2002 in week 18 he stuck by that principle. 

Love this.

Completely agree with Ritchie too. Rust always plays a factor.

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

Super curious to find out how the team handles the next month.....probably the most interesting thing between now and Dec 5.

Honestly I dont think any thing changes at all. I 100% believe they will go out and play the same aggressive tough smart football that they've played to this point of the year. I think these guys are trap proof. 

A few more fun defensive stats to chew on.

The pass defence has given up 3 passing TDs all year. 4 Blue Bomber receivers have at least that many. Meanwhile the Bomber defence has itself scored 4 TDs on passing plays (2 interception returns for TDs, and 2 fumble recoveries on QB sacks returned for TDs). 

The run defence has given up 6 TDs all year. Bomber back-up QB Sean McGuire has 7 rushing TDs on 24 touches. 

Of the 9 TDs the defence has given up all year, the 3 passing TDs were 11, 30, and 37 yards and of the 6 rushing TDs, only 1 was less than 9 yards. So arguably only 2 TDs against were not on “busted” coverage by the pass or run defence. Teams do not grind out touchdown drives against this defence. 

Of the 11 games played, the defence has given up 1 TD or less in 9 of them, including 5 with no TDs allowed. Of the 44 quarters the team has played, the defence has shut out the opposing offence in 23 of them. 

And finally, much has been made of the dominance of the Bombers in the 4th quarter this year, out scoring their opponents 106-6. In fact, in 4th quarters alone, Blue Bomber opponents have been outscored by the Bomber special teams returners (7-6 including converts), Nic Demski, Sean McGuire, Andrew Harris, Kenny Lawler, and Rasheed Bailey (12 points each), and even Marc Liegghio (14 points), Ali Mourtada (12 points), and Tyler Crapigna (8 points), 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

5 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

The 1991 Saskatchewan Roughriders hold the record for most points surrendered (710)

They also did not qualify for the playoffs that year, finishing 6-12.

Tldr; Not relevant to your question, just stating 'Riders suck. Even when MC Hammer was all the rage.

Any chance to rag on the Riders makes me happy, so glad my question helped :)