GDT - Week 12 - Lions @ Champs

JCon

23 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I'm living proof of the cockiness. Almost the entire 80's and early 90's I thought the Bombers would win every game.  It wasn't until Reinebold that I realized that it was possible for a Bomber team to suck, and suck hard. What a rude awakening that was.

Oh that season was painful. In on a motorcycle, out on a donkey.  I found an abandoned coffee cup at work 7 years ago that had the season schedule on it. Don't blame the person for leaving it in the break room. I couldn't remember any of the games that year but I remembered the Grey cup game in Vancouver. I used the coffee cup to remind myself everyday that success is not guaranteed. 

16 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

So he's apparently saying that the Bombers were going to suck, and to "blame the schedule".  But yet here I thought that the only reason the Bombers are winning is because of the schedule.  So confused...

It’s because bombers opponents only play poorly when playing the Blue. It’s weird how that happens. 

On 2021-10-24 at 12:22 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

The only game I actually long for “revenge” for is the 1996 playoff game where we lost 68-7 to the “don’t call them that”’s. Because they blatantly cheated and got away with it, and ran up the score in the process. Losing big happens and teams will have lopsided results on either side of the ledger against another opponent, but the fraudulent way that result transpired makes me long for revenge in this one instance. 

I'm sure some here can remember the specific details of what exactly happened... as I recall, the schmoes were wearing illegal cleats and they had significantly better traction in the snow because of it... is that all or was there more to it than that?

9 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I'm sure some here can remember the specific details of what exactly happened... as I recall, the schmoes were wearing illegal cleats and they had significantly better traction in the snow because of it... is that all or was there more to it than that?

1996 CFL West Semi Final Winnipeg Blue Bombers at Edmonton Eskimos - YouTube

Here's the full game.  You be the judge!

59 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Edmonton put metal screws in their cleats. Rumour has it they either watered down the field as well or chose not to cover it and let it get frosted up and slippery, although that last bit is speculation and not proven. But the field was very icy either way. Bomber defenders were getting bloodied up from tackling and getting jabbed with the screws. A couple needed tetanus shots after the game because of it. The rule was if a player is caught with illegal footwear they were disqualified and kicked out. The Bombers repeatedly complained but the refs did nothing until the 4th quarter and the score already 60-1 or thereabouts. And then all they did was check the footwear at that point and usher the Edmonton players off the field to change shoes and then let them back in. Ron Lancaster after the game grinning like a Cheshire Cat saying “we would never do something so underhanded” to the press. Shalon Baker got picked up by the Bombers from Edmonton the next year and said absolutely we cheated in that game and were laughing in the locker room at the half for getting away with it. Cal Murphy was especially pissed because in 1994 against Baltimore Don Matthews got two Blue Bombers kicked out of the East Final on the third play of the game for illegal footwear. Apparently at half time the Bombers sent their equipment manager to Foot Locker in Edmonton to buy a bunch of baseball cleats for the team, so they would have hard plastic to punch through the permafrost. He arrived in the third quarter with the score 46-1, much too little much too late. Murphy refused to shake hands with Lancaster after the game. Edmonton put up 22 points in the 4th quarter just to rub it in.