GDT - Week 12 - Lions @ Champs

JCon

Guys like lyin' guy hate us but really they want to be us.....Leo's were taken apart....disected and their qb. was beaten and demoralized....I don't have one ounce of sympathy....well maybe one ounce...the same amount they showed us back in the day when we were struggling....That's football....we happen to be in a very nice position right now....Envy and dislike for us follows....Just remember that guys handle....he doesn't tell the truth.....In any event we're a very well put together team and they have A LOT of work to do....right now I'm really enjoying our club....

They're talkin over on RF about equality in the league and that a 45-0 win is bad for the CFL. I understand that we generate smaller crowds and the market isn't like the NFL but it's still football and that's how it goes. I don't know what they're wanting the CFL to do about these blow out losses,they're making it sound like they want each game scripted so that they're more fair and I don't recall them crying for equality when the Riders pounded us 52-0.

Edited by Nolby

9 minutes ago, Nolby said:

They're talkin over on RF about equality in the league and that a 45-0 win is bad for the CFL. I understand that we generate smaller crowds and the market isn't like the NFL but it's still football and that's how it goes. I don't know what they're wanting the CFL to do about these blow out losses,they're making it sound like they want each game scripted so that they're more fair and I don't recall them crying for equality when the Riders pounded us 52-0.

They are idiots. 

10 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Collaros ability to break the pocket beat the rush then hit an open man is a game changer. He beats a good 3 or 4 pressures every game and picks up a first down oh most and atleast one big gain every single game. He's the complete package just soo damned good. 

I have been incredibly impressed with Collaros. Zach has made a believer out of me. There was a play in the 4th quarter that I can’t get out of my mind. He gets pressure and escapes the pocket rolling to his left, his eyes lock on the receiver near the sidelines, I don’t know who that was but I swear Zach was looking at me, that’s how focused his eyes were. Next thing I know Dempski has the ball in the slot for a first down. I’m like WTF, how did that happen. 

if that’s how I read the play from above when I can see the whole field it must be impossible for the defenders to have a clue. 

18 hours ago, johnzo said:

man that crowd looks sparse, what's up with that?

18 hours ago, Tracker said:

Boy- attendance looks to be well under 20,000 bodies 

Was at the game last night in person (as I have for the past 40 years) so doing the day after catch-up of the GDT page. Random thoughts from the multiple posts. Sorry if it is long, just figured I would compile things in one comment (and the site would merge things anyway). 

Attendance was 23,750. Crowd probably looked smaller because 1. Folks with both Bomber and Jets tickets may have opted for the latter since those ducats are much more expensive 2. Some folks will opt for watching something indoors in October so may have chosen TV or the Jets game in person over this, but it was a nice October night, slight chill but nothing If you know how to dress 3. The stadium always looks emptier thanks it is because of the design allowing fans to watch from the concourse, especially the north end Rum Hut rather than sitting in their seats. Sask did it better in new Mosaic after studying our stadium build by making sure the concessions were hidden from view forcing fans to their seats to watch, and creating the Pilsner zone standing area rather than concourse congregation. Bombers have tried to retrofit the north end zone with the standing room only party zone with limited success. 

17 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I’ve always wondered what watching home games in the 80s would have been like, I think I know now. 

17 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I know. I lived it... First gunslinger Brock then the crafty Tom Clements. 

This is what 1984 was like. Going to the park to see a guaranteed win with surgical precision. The question was not “will we win?” but rather “will we win by 20 or by 30?” Tonight’s game may rank as the all-time most completely dominant win I have ever seen a Bomber team present in my time attending. There were higher scoring offensive games like 68-14 against Hamilton in 1991, the 58-2 demolition of the star-studded Als in 1981, and a 56-0 beat down of Saskatchewan in 1986 that is the all-time biggest shutout in CFL history which is the closest comparable. In that game the Riders got down to our 10 yard line or so once but threw a pick, and never crossed centre field any other time. BC last night I think got down to our 31 yard line at best and only crossed centre field twice maybe?

We've never honoured Clements which to me, is puzzling. 

We was honoured along with John Hufnagel at a game in the 1990’s and named to the Blue Bomber hall of fame in 1992. I think he was coaching in the NFL during the hall of fame induction game and could not attend (my brain is hazy on that detail) but at the other ceremony I remember him being gifted a framed jersey and saying “I appreciate this gift, now I can return the jersey I stole from the locker room back in 1987 when I left”. 

I'm an old dinosauir & have seen the Bombers win a few Grey Cups but I was weeping. 

Lucky enough myself to see 4 Grey Cups now. My experience in 2019 was not weeping but just sheer relief that the drought was over. Watching with friends that day and it was remarked how quiet I was when they figured I would be bouncing off the roof. I realized what a mental toll all the losing had on me and was more numb than joyful. Repeated watchings of the win brought more exuberance later. 

16 hours ago, White Out said:

I told my friend that I think this is the best Bombers defense that I've seen in my lifetime and I was part of the 80s with Battle and Hill. They're dominant 

Pure and simple 

I cannot think think of an argument where the 1984 team (touted by Bob Irving as the best team he ever saw), the 1987 squad (regards by mode than a few media types as maybe the best team ever to not play on a Grey Cup) or the 1990 defence (seen as the best Bomber defence ever by most historians) surpass this team and certainly the defence. This is history unfolding in front of us. Soak it in, these seasons are once in a generation things to witness. 

16 hours ago, Mike said:

I’m sure some Rider fan dummy is going to use this as some kind of bulletin board nonsense tomorrow but I’m just going to say it anyways

This team, when they win the Grey Cup, is going to be among the short list of teams in the discussion for greatest team in CFL history 

I am really torn with this statement. On one hand, I agree this team is on pace for something extraordinary, but nothing should be set in stone until the end of the year. Winning and losing championships has a massive effect on how a team is regarded in the annual of history, and to paraphrase Dennis Green, I am not ready to “crown their ass” just yet. Bill Simmons did a whole piece in ESPN on the then 18-0 Patriots debating if they were the best team of all-time, and had a book ready to go out, with the quiet caveat “if they win it all” but most assured that they would. And we all remember 2001 and 14-4 and those useless 8-10 Stamps. In fact, 11 Bomber teams before this have had a winning percentage of .722 or higher, only 3 times have they won the Cup. And of the top 10 all-time teams by regular season winning percentage, only 3 won the Cup that year. All I know is Mike O’Shea would say publicly “we are 0-0 trying to go 1-0 this week” and would tell his squad to tune out the reviews. 

15 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Lyin guy exposing himself talking **** about our team again on the rider board. Talk about a bunch of sour losers on that forum. 

So I could have chosen from a bunch of quotes to dig into this pet peeve. Maybe I am reading the mood wrong, but I continually wonder why people here waste their time going to a rival fan site in the first place, why they go looking for praise for our team when that is never going to happen, and why they seemingly get offended when they don’t get that validation from another source? It is amusing to see that we live rent-free in other fan bases’ heads with their jealous comments, but to me at least it comes across line they are equally loving rent free in our heads when we mention their comments and how we don’t get out due credit. Who gives a rat’s ass what they think? If one enjoys their suffering, OK, but it seems like it gets noses out of joint here when they don’t throw that internet validation our way,  and I don’t know why anyone would get bothered by it, or seek it out if they knew it would irk them? But that’s just me, I guess. Life is too hard and sad enough already to need to go out of one’s way and find things to get upset about, IMO. Enjoy the ride, and don’t worry if people you care nothing about don’t like you either. 

15 hours ago, Rod Black said:

Kongbo had to take a nap…ouch

Kongbo was on the sidelines in a bit of a snit with Hansen I’m the 4th quarter and then Jeffcoat came to calm him down, just before he got hurt. Wasn’t sure what it was about (playing time, missed assignment?) but he stuck out in a sea of happiness on that bench when they were up 37-0. Anyone notice that or hear anything about that?

15 hours ago, Starman115 said:

Home playoff date in December! Don't think that's ever happened before!

From my review of the history books, has never happened. and they have only ever played 5.5 games in December (all Grey Cups, the 0.5 being the two-day fog bowl game in 1962). 

15 hours ago, Goalie said:

That's history kids. First CFL shutout in 51 years 

As noted by others, refers to a BC shoutout. 

15 hours ago, BaconNBigBlue said:

Mortada was 100% tonight. 

Money. 

And a good kickoff game including a single and a special teams tackle. Admirable effort from a dead man walking. 

15 hours ago, Mike said:

Our secondary is a weakness

LOL

Rider fans 

my god

See my comments above about being upset about what Rider fans think of us. 

15 hours ago, Brandon said:

No odds and sods?

Patience. 

13 hours ago, GCJenks said:

I must say I’ve never had that much fun at that stadium before. What a fun night. 

This is what the mid-80’s and 2001 were all about. Great to see it back. Been a long time coming. 

13 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

almost exactly 16 years ago the Lions hung a 41-1 beat down on us.  I've waited since that cold October day in 2005 for the Bombers to repay the favour, and it was worth the wait!

Fish Called Wanda Revenge GIF - Fish Called Wanda Revenge Michael Palin GIFs

The only game I actually long for “revenge” for is the 1996 playoff game where we lost 68-7 to the “don’t call them that”’s. Because they blatantly cheated and got away with it, and ran up the score in the process. Losing big happens and teams will have lopsided results on either side of the ledger against another opponent, but the fraudulent way that result transpired makes me long for revenge in this one instance. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

38 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Was at the game last night in person (as I have for the past 40 years) so doing the day after catch-up of the GDT page. Random thoughts from the multiple posts. Sorry if it is long, just figured I would compile things in one comment (and the site would merge things anyway). 

Attendance was 23,750. Crowd probably looked smaller because 1. Folks with both Bomber and Jets tickets may have opted for the latter since those ducats are much more expensive 2. Some folks will opt for watching something indoors in October so may have chosen TV or the Jets game in person over this, but it was a nice October night, slight chill but nothing If you know how to dress 3. The stadium always looks emptier thanks it is because of the design allowing fans to watch from the concourse, especially the north end Rum Hut rather than sitting in their seats. Sask did it better in new Mosaic after studying our stadium build by making sure the concessions were hidden from view forcing fans to their seats to watch, and creating the Pilsner zone standing area rather than concourse congregation. Bombers have tried to retrofit the north end zone with the standing room only party zone with limited success. 

This is what 1984 was like. Going to the park to see a guaranteed win with surgical precision. The question was not “will we win?” but rather “will we win by 20 or by 30?” Tonight’s game may rank as the all-time most completely dominant win I have ever seen a Bomber team present in my time attending. There were higher scoring offensive games like 68-14 against Hamilton in 1991, the 58-2 demolition of the star-studded Als in 1981, and a 56-0 beat down of Saskatchewan in 1986 that is the all-time biggest shutout in CFL history which is the closest comparable. In that game the Riders got down to our 10 yard line or so once but threw a pick, and never crossed centre field any other time. BC last night I think got down to our 31 yard line at best and only crossed centre field twice maybe?

We was honoured along with John Hufnagel at a game in the 1990’s and named to the Blue Bomber hall of fame in 1992. I think he was coaching in the NFL during the hall of fame induction game and could not attend (my brain is hazy on that detail) but at the other ceremony I remember him being gifted a framed jersey and saying “I appreciate this gift, now I can return the jersey I stole from the locker room back in 1987 when I left”. 

Lucky enough myself to see 4 Grey Cups now. My experience in 2019 was not weeping but just sheer relief that the drought was over. Watching with friends that day and it was remarked how quiet I was when they figured I would be bouncing off the roof. I realized what a mental toll all the losing had on me and was more numb than joyful. Repeated watchings of the win brought more exuberance later. 

I cannot think think of an argument where the 1984 team (touted by Bob Irving as the best team he ever saw), the 1987 squad (regards by mode than a few media types as maybe the best team ever to not play on a Grey Cup) or the 1990 defence (seen as the best Bomber defence ever by most historians) surpass this team and certainly the defence. This is history unfolding in front of us. Soak it in, these seasons are once in a generation things to witness. 

I am really torn with this statement. On one hand, I agree this team is on pace for something extraordinary, but nothing should be set in stone until the end of the year. Winning and losing championships has a massive effect on how a team is regarded in the annual of history, and to paraphrase Dennis Green, I am not ready to “crown their ass” just yet. Bill Simmons did a whole piece in ESPN on the then 18-0 Patriots debating if they were the best team of all-time, and had a book ready to go out, with the quiet caveat “if they win it all” but most assured that they would. And we all remember 2001 and 14-4 and those useless 8-10 Stamps. In fact, 11 Bomber teams before this have had a winning percentage of .722 or higher, only 3 times have they won the Cup. And of the top 10 all-time teams by regular season winning percentage, only 3 won the Cup that year. All I know is Mike O’Shea would say publicly “we are 0-0 trying to go 1-0 this week” and would tell his squad to tune out the reviews. 

So I could have chosen from a bunch of quotes to dig into this pet peeve. Maybe I am reading the mood wrong, but I continually wonder why people here waste their time going to a rival fan site in the first place, why they go looking for praise for our team when that is never going to happen, and why they seemingly get offended when they don’t get that validation from another source? It is amusing to see that we live rent-free in other fan bases’ heads with their jealous comments, but to me at least it comes across line they are equally loving rent free in our heads when we mention their comments and how we don’t get out due credit. Who gives a rat’s ass what they think? If one enjoys their suffering, OK, but it seems like it gets noses out of joint here when they don’t throw that internet validation our way,  and I don’t know why anyone would get bothered by it, or seek it out if they knew it would irk them? But that’s just me, I guess. Life is too hard and sad enough already to need to go out of one’s way and find things to get upset about, IMO. Enjoy the ride, and don’t worry if people you care nothing about don’t like you either. 

Kongbo was on the sidelines in a bit of a snit with Hansen I’m the 4th quarter and then Jeffcoat came to calm him down, just before he got hurt. Wasn’t sure what it was about (playing time, missed assignment?) but he stuck out in a sea of happiness on that bench when they were up 37-0. Anyone notice that or hear anything about that?

From my review of the history books, has never happened. and they have only ever played 5.5 games in December (all Grey Cups, the 0.5 being the two-day fog bowl game in 1962). 

As noted by others, refers to a BC shoutout. 

And a good kickoff game including a single and a special teams tackle. Admirable effort from a dead man walking. 

See my comments above about being upset about what Rider fans think of us. 

Patience. 

This is what the mid-80’s and 2001 were all about. Great to see it back. Been a long time coming. 

The only game I actually long for “revenge” for is the 1996 playoff game where we lost 68-7 to the “don’t call them that”’s. Because they blatantly cheated and got away with it, and ran up the score in the process. Losing big happens and teams will have lopsided results on either side of the ledger against another opponent, but the fraudulent way that result transpired makes me long for revenge in this one instance. 

Bottom line is we've been on both sides of major beatdowns. I'd rather be the hammer than the nail.

To all the folks who argued about how dominant we were last year... This is what it really looks like.

Going to the stadium expecting a win every time is what it feels like. Getting a home playoff game. Getting the West final. These are the steps to the Grey Cup that we've already accomplished in a dominant manner. This is the type of team I've been waiting for for decades.

My only advice to those who are going through this for the first time... Don't get cocky! Enjoy every minute of it while it while it lasts.

10 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

To all the folks who argued about how dominant we were last year... This is what it really looks like.

Going to the stadium expecting a win every time is what it feels like. Getting a home playoff game. Getting the West final. These are the steps to the Grey Cup that we've already accomplished in a dominant manner. This is the type of team I've been waiting for for decades.

My only advice to those who are going through this for the first time... Don't get cocky! Enjoy every minute of it while it while it lasts.

I'm living proof of the cockiness. Almost the entire 80's and early 90's I thought the Bombers would win every game.  It wasn't until Reinebold that I realized that it was possible for a Bomber team to suck, and suck hard. What a rude awakening that was.

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Uh huh.

This game also played a part in Cal Murphy's firing and subsequent hiring of Jeff FuckingReinbold.  It was also our last playoff game after a 17 yr. run

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost