Who are we likely to lose after this season??

Nolby

5 minutes ago, CodyT said:

First thing, Darvins on a pretty good contract. Letting him go would be a mistake.  On maybe a bit of a down year but still a hell of a player.

Secondly, for the sake of discussion. Any chance oshea gets an nfl look?

that actually crossed my mind recently, but I think he's more like Buono than Trestman....

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

that actually crossed my mind recently, but I think he's more like Buono than Trestman....

Trestman had a long history as a positional coach and coordinator in the NFL before coming to the CFL after always being overlooked for a head coaching gig.   

O'Shea has none of that.  With all the coaches coming up from the NCAA, slim to no chance O'Shea gets a sniff in the NFL.   If he really wanted to go to the NFL, he'd likely have to cut his teeth in a positional or Special Teams role first.

44 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Idr that, I do remember his wife being reeeealllly peeved off with his being fired here previously. Buck married a pegger. 

No wait I got my stories mixed up... it was Zach Collaros coming back to Winnipeg because his wife had some cushy teaching job in Ontario and that he would never sign back with the team.  

Edited by Brandon

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Trestman had a long history as a positional coach and coordinator in the NFL before coming to the CFL after always being overlooked for a head coaching gig.   

O'Shea has none of that.  With all the coaches coming up from the NCAA, slim to no chance O'Shea gets a sniff in the NFL.   If he really wanted to go to the NFL, he'd likely have to cut his teeth in a positional or Special Teams role first.

What's the path like in the NFL from being a special teams coach to head coach?  I feel like if you're a special teams coach the best opportunity you might get after 20 years is to be an interim coach until the end of a season. 

1 minute ago, Colin Unger said:

What's the path like in the NFL from being a special teams coach to head coach?  I feel like if you're a special teams coach the best opportunity you might get after 20 years is to be an interim coach until the end of a season. 

Qft. Though in general in the us I think offensive gurus have a gigantic edge in getting hc jobs. Guys like Sean mcvay on defense would take another 10 years to get the shot. Mcvay is pretty exceptional though. 

45 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Well funny enough, I believe the Raiders new HC, taking over from Gruden, was their STC..... 

12 hours ago, Noeller said:

Well funny enough, I believe the Raiders new HC, taking over from Gruden, was their STC..... 

off the top of my head, I think there’s three current HCs who went from STC to HC… John Harbaugh is the most well known and accomplished… joe judge for the giants… And I’m pretty sure the Texans current HC was a STC…

17 hours ago, Booch said:

Oshea wont leave hee until he is pushed out....bank on it.

Bryant will be back...unless he suffers a season ending surgery requiring injury...bank on that

Biggie, he aint going anywhere unless we don't want him...don't see that happening

Jefferson won't chase Jones...people need to forget that narrative....he's found a football home...has matured into a respected vet...if we give him fair value..he will be back

Harris won't retire next year either, and I see us morphing him into a dual role player and share reps with Brady

Bailey will be here as well with fair value...he will be loyal to this organization to a fault...Lawler too...

Highly doubt Neuf retires, and only reason he will be gone is if we cant afford him...we need to get Eli and Gray playing as it's their time, or we lose them

Alexander NFL window is done...I think

Only guys I see maybe getting an NFL look see is Stove and Alford....possibly one of ELI or Desjarlais....maaaaybeee Kongbo, but I almost think his ship has sailed 

Adams and Taylor wont be back due to age and money, but would like to see Adams as a receiver coach here, likely a few canuck foot soldiers with tenure...basically economic moves

I think Eli is our most likely candidate to get a legit NFL chance. He has the huge advantage of actually being on the NFL radar before. Desjarlais, Stove, Alford all have UDA pedigree and would need to go the workout to futures route. The NFL is not coming for them they have to have good agents working them hard for opportunities. Eli likely has some eyes looking at him already though. Whether he has done enough for a team to bring him in remains to be seen though. Name recognition is huge in the NFL though, and NFL scouts have actually heard of Eli.

44 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Bill Belichick really got his start in Special Teams. Was Special Team coordinator for the Giants before he moved to defence full time.

Thats an over simplification imo. He was a general assistant, then 1 year as a sts assistant, then wr coach, then sts and d assistant and lber coach, then DC. He was basically a positional defensive coach as much as a teams coach. The 5 years as a DC are what got him his HC shot too. 

25 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I think Eli is our most likely candidate to get a legit NFL chance. He has the huge advantage of actually being on the NFL radar before. Desjarlais, Stove, Alford all have UDA pedigree and would need to go the workout to futures route. The NFL is not coming for them they have to have good agents working them hard for opportunities. Eli likely has some eyes looking at him already though. Whether he has done enough for a team to bring him in remains to be seen though. Name recognition is huge in the NFL though, and NFL scouts have actually heard of Eli.

If he starts the rest of the year I think he will get a look. Short of that or lots of play off play time, I dont think he will just yet. But he is the type of guy who could jump early on limited film.