CHAMPS at Elks GDT

Nolby

12 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It would take a truly dumb person to not understand that difference.............

Suitor and black was the worst booth combination in all of pro sports. Maybe history. Between the two black is far more likeable as a person imo, but its hard to stand a bad PBP guy in football. Those two are the exact opposite of what the young demographic wants in sports coverage. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

Suitor and black was the worst booth combination in all of pro sports. Maybe history. Between the two black is far more likeable as a person imo, but its hard to stand a bad PBP guy in football. Those two are the exact opposite of what the young demographic wants in sports coverage. 

Black is a great guy and contributes a lot of charities. But, I don't want him calling any more games. 

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

btw, it does sound like he was let go. Really strange timing for Bell to do it, if true. I just assumed he was leaving to take a basketball gig, but apparently they let him go. I'm very curious about that timing. 

while Rod was gulping down turkey on Monday with Forde he did not look like a guy ready to hang em up.

Just now, wbbfan said:

All I saw all over media from all types of fans was people not liking RB.  Soo maybe just maybe they are listening. Or some one is. 

After the news broke, another media person was talking about how he liked that Black would describe the game as if he was talking to someone who never saw the game before. Which sounds like a good idea on the surface. But it just isn't. Most of the people watching know the game, add in the fact that he continued to get basic things wrong and it just made things bush league.

You don't need to talk to people like they've never seen the game (literally no other league does this, not even obscure games like the AFL). You need to be passionate and knowledgeable.

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

The rule book has no provisions for allowing a DI to replace an extra NI. Previously starting an extra NI gave you an extra DI. 

https://cfldb.ca/rulebook/scrimmage/player-restrictions/#r4s5a5

Article 6 — Designated International

If a team is using its full complement of international players, it shall, prior to the game, designate four international players as special teams players, who shall be permitted to enter the game at another position, only on the understanding that another international player on that side of the ball is required to leave the game for that play. Such player may enter the game on an unrestricted basis, only if another international player is removed for the balance of the game.

If a designated international participates in the game illegally:

PENALTY: L25 PLS DR or L25 PBD or option.

So the way to look at the rules is not in terms of # of minimum Canadian starters, the rules are laid out essentially as follows: you get x number of Americans on the roster and x number of designated imports who can only replace other Americans in the starting line up. The math works out that it means you need at least 7 Canadians to start. You start 8 though you have that extra American who can be on the roster without having to be a designated import.

23 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

After the news broke, another media person was talking about how he liked that Black would describe the game as if he was talking to someone who never saw the game before. Which sounds like a good idea on the surface. But it just isn't. Most of the people watching know the game, add in the fact that he continued to get basic things wrong and it just made things bush league.

You don't need to talk to people like they've never seen the game (literally no other league does this, not even obscure games like the AFL). You need to be passionate and knowledgeable.

I feel like its not as though hes talking to some one new, he sounds new. I indoctrinated my wife as a bomber fan almost 4 years ago (now a rabid fan) and she's always found him annoying and complained about him with out my commenting on him. I wanted her to see it all with fresh eyes, she was barking at me about him in game 1. 

Edited by wbbfan

I love the quote about Eli. Late in the elk game talking about taking knees and eli says "Screw that lets run it!" 

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

So the way to look at the rules is not in terms of # of minimum Canadian starters, the rules are laid out essentially as follows: you get x number of Americans on the roster and x number of designated imports who can only replace other Americans in the starting line up. The math works out that it means you need at least 7 Canadians to start. You start 8 though you have that extra American who can be on the roster without having to be a designated import.

It could be. But thats not at all what i read. I mean I DL'd the rulebook for 2021 this week and it was one of the worst reads of my life. I once had to go through a 600 page standard operating procedure for a company I worked for that was drafted by an out side safety company. This was 100% worse.  But by the claims on here, you could "start" 8 or 9 ni, get extra imps on the roster, then not play the starting NI, and the added imps who arent DIs would continue to play as un restricted americans. Maybe thats why ive seen ssk, and edm run 9 or even 10 starting NI at points this year. But I have a hard time believing the mafia, who havent been doing that and follow the rules of subs/ratio very closely, would be ok with other teams cheating in that fashion

Ive never seen the penalty thrown for Illegal deployment of a designated import. And I remember some 15 ish years ago a game where hamilton was down soo many NIs they were only rolling about 5 between offense and D at absolute most. I would bet, especially with how the refs have performed this year, that you could get away with murder with respect to the ratio. 

No way am I gonna track the numbers even for a game and check to see how and if teams are abusing the ratio. Nor am I ever looking at the rulebook again. I thought before this week that the ratio and roster limits badly needed some improvements. (more qbs, more roster spots etc) Now im more sure than ever that it needs a good overhaul. 

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

The real question is what is the signal for Illegal Participation by a Designated International and has it ever actually been called.

I believe it's illegal substitution, and yes it's been called a number of times.

15 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I feel like its not as though hes talking to some one new, he sounds new. I indoctrinated my wife as a bomber fan almost 4 years ago (now a rabid fan) and she's always found him annoying and complained about him with out my commenting on him. I wanted her to see it all with fresh eyes, she was barking at me about him. 

It was the need for Black to make up dumb nicknames for players that always bugged me.  The last straw for me was calling Schaffer-Baker "the play-maker Baker" or some such nonsense.  Like come on man.  Anyway, the classy thing to do would have been letting Rod bow out at the end of the CFL season, but I don't think anyone will accuse Bell Media of having a lot of class.

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

Isn't that when someone leaves the huddle late for a sub?

Could be... there is illegal participation as well, but I think that's for stepping out of bounds and then coming back into play to participate.

As I dig a bit, I see that there is in fact a penalty for Illegal Deployment of Designated Import (and it's a 25 yard penalty).  Can't say I've ever seen it called.

19 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I feel like its not as though hes talking to some one new, he sounds new. I indoctrinated my wife as a bomber fan almost 4 years ago (now a rabid fan) and she's always found him annoying and complained about him with out my commenting on him. I wanted her to see it all with fresh eyes, she was barking at me about him in game 1. 

Indoctrinated wife? Hmmm tell me more. I’m working on a few other non related sport issues that need buy-in.

Just now, kelownabomberfan said:

It was the need for Black to make up dumb nicknames for players that always bugged me.  The last straw for me was calling Schaffer-Baker "the play-maker Baker" or some such nonsense.  Like come on man.  Anyway, the classy thing to do would have been letting Rod bow out at the end of the CFL season, but I don't think anyone will accuse Bell Media of having a lot of class.

The nicknames are awful for sure. He also would just ramble on about players against the action. And the in game interviews were just brutal. 

13 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I love the quote about Eli. Late in the elk game talking about taking knees and eli says "Screw that lets run it!" 

It could be. But thats not at all what i read. I mean I DL'd the rulebook for 2021 this week and it was one of the worst reads of my life. I once had to go through a 600 page standard operating procedure for a company I worked for that was drafted by an out side safety company. This was 100% worse.  But by the claims on here, you could "start" 8 or 9 ni, get extra imps on the roster, then not play the starting NI, and the added imps who arent DIs would continue to play as un restricted americans. Maybe thats why ive seen ssk, and edm run 9 or even 10 starting NI at points this year. But I have a hard time believing the mafia, who havent been doing that and follow the rules of subs/ratio very closely, would be ok with other teams cheating in that fashion

Ive never seen the penalty thrown for Illegal deployment of a designated import. And I remember some 15 ish years ago a game where hamilton was down soo many NIs they were only rolling about 5 between offense and D at absolute most. I would bet, especially with how the refs have performed this year, that you could get away with murder with respect to the ratio. 

No way am I gonna track the numbers even for a game and check to see how and if teams are abusing the ratio. Nor am I ever looking at the rulebook again. I thought before this week that the ratio and roster limits badly needed some improvements. (more qbs, more roster spots etc) Now im more sure than ever that it needs a good overhaul. 

You can’t based on how it’s set up.  There are literally only 4 import roster spots that aren’t designated starters…they are designated imports!

Youre basically alleging they somehow dressed extra imports?

Just now, wbbfan said:

The nicknames are awful for sure. He also would just ramble on about players against the action. And the in game interviews were just brutal. 

The in game interviews need to stop. I don't care who is doing it....just stop. They're always awkward and always seem to take place during big plays or key moments in game that then get ignored. I hate them!!

10 minutes ago, Sard said:

I believe it's illegal substitution, and yes it's been called a number of times.

It's not. That's late or at times they can't sub like hurry up. The penalty is called illegal deployment of a designated import. 

7 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Indoctrinated wife? Hmmm tell me more. I’m working on a few other non related sport issues that need buy-in.

With out bomber butts in tight pants I wish you luck. It's my only successful Case so far. 

6 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

You can’t based on how it’s set up.  There are literally only 4 import roster spots that aren’t designated starters…they are designated imports!

Youre basically alleging they somehow dressed extra imports?

That's not how it works. Our current roster for this game has 7 imports that aren't starters. Also try to remember the roster rules have changed 3 times in 3 seasons. 

9 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

The in game interviews need to stop. I don't care who is doing it....just stop. They're always awkward and always seem to take place during big plays or key moments in game that then get ignored. I hate them!!

Let's talk to the Reklaws about how their album just sold 12 copies, while Andrew Harris rambles for a 90 yard TD....always a fave (that actually didn't happen, but any time spent talking to the Reklaws while a game is going on is time wasted).

But the classic gold standard for awkward in game interviews was the Keith Urban interview in the 2019 GC with Glen Suitor slobbering all over him.  The part where they ask Keith to do some color analysis, and he just stares at the camera not knowing what the hell is going on.  It's just so cringe and the only part of the GC that I fast-forward through now on re-watch.  

Edited by kelownabomberfan