Mourtada

Brandon

4 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Former Bombers kicker Justin Palardy is a bit salty, but he's not wrong. Plus, he says he knows some available Canadian kickers. Like Brian Hope from Saint Mary's USports. Bring Hope in, try him out. Can't hurt. 

Funny thing is the pre-season of 2013 is, I believe, the year we had Rene Peredes in camp... and he was justifiably cut b/c Palardy looked like he was the future...

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Is this a case of crapigna will be back soon so they are content to let this loser kick til he is back and not force legs into that situation yet? Cause really I see no other reason at all to give this much leash to a prospect American kicker. 

I saw something on Twitter last night saying Crapinga was no longer with the team but it was from fan, not a legit source. 

Crapigna did go home when he was put on the 6 game so even if he did rejoin the team,  he'd be subject to quarantine I would assume.

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Is this a case of crapigna will be back soon so they are content to let this loser kick til he is back and not force legs into that situation yet? Cause really I see no other reason at all to give this much leash to a prospect American kicker. 

Id bet on him not being back this year. He hasnt kicked a ball in 6+ weeks and injured his leg. By the time he is healthy, shakes the rust off and is 100% itll be the next tc. 

Just now, Goldkobra said:

This is what bothers me the most. It's completely illogical that he's even here, in a year that we're chasing another cup. How is this better than taking a guy off the cfl practice roster, or another teams pr?

We've done this kind of thing frequently. From Qbs like dom davis, MBT, and bennett, to wrs like agudosi. If we find a physical tool set with raw development and advanced age we dont hesitate to try them out. Have we taken any one off another teams PR in the mafia era? I feel like not. I would do it no doubt. But perhaps it isnt their way. 

Just now, JCon said:

It's like the CFL has imposed some sort of shadow ban on us. No, sorry, Bombers, you've had your rookie and your vet kickers. From here on out, you only get random kickers from the arena or spring league. Deal with it. 

I hope its that they love mourtada's make up and leg potential but have a guy down south like lirim who will come back with a month to go. No reason to believe that, but Its my hope. 

Just now, M.O.A.B. said:

The only reason can think off, maybe the CFL put restrictions on plucking payers off other team's PR, this year? 

Mmm the 3dn around the league rumor mill had teams trying to ****** other teams PR guys a few times in the last month, ott hid christion on the 1 game IR, duck on the suspended list and a few others. I believe bc and ssk tried to ****** some players. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Mmm the 3dn around the league rumor mill had teams trying to ****** other teams PR guys a few times in the last month, ott hid christion on the 1 game IR, duck on the suspended list and a few others. I believe bc and ssk tried to ****** some players. 

Oh yeah.

Just now, 17to85 said:

We don't need to bring in a kicker from u sports or take a prospect off another team's pr, we have a guy with a good university resume on the roster already who has a better success rate kicking field goals than mourtada.

Why we stick with a 31 year old american who can't make kicks from the hash marks I have no idea.

I dont get why legs got a much shorter leash than mourtada either. He basically got 2 bad games after going 4/4 with a game winner. And one of those bad games was a windy mess where both teams struggled bad with kicking. 

I think part of the concern though is that legs is not able to be an all 3 phases kicker. His kick offs are horrible. We were basically spotting teams 15 yards of advantage every time we exchanged kick offs not counting any return. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

I dont get why legs got a much shorter leash than mourtada either. He basically got 2 bad games after going 4/4 with a game winner. And one of those bad games was a windy mess where both teams struggled bad with kicking. 

I think part of the concern though is that legs is not able to be an all 3 phases kicker. His kick offs are horrible. We were basically spotting teams 15 yards of advantage every time we exchanged kick offs not counting any return. 

Which is fine, I have no problem if they don't want him doing it all at this point, but christ, a 3q year old 40% kicker who only hit short field goals.... you can't keep letting that guy keep trying field goals. He is too flawed at that aspect. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

I think they just wanted to take a bit off his plate.  His punting (which he has had some struggles with) was regressing when he took over from Crapinga.  Having another kicker just lets him focus on one thing for now.

Just now, 17to85 said:

Which is fine, I have no problem if they don't want him doing it all at this point, but christ, a 3q year old 40% kicker who only hit short field goals.... you can't keep letting that guy keep trying field goals. He is too flawed at that aspect. 

Just now, bigg jay said:

I think they just wanted to take a bit off his plate.  His punting (which he has had some struggles with) was regressing when he took over from Crapinga.  Having another kicker just lets him focus on one thing for now.

I agree x2. Honestly It seems like it wouldve been easier to find a punter who could kick off and then let legs focus on kicking field goals. 

Legs will make or break his career with FGs. A NI punter with an average leg who cant kick off doesnt have much value. An NI kicker who can replicate his near 90% rate in college is worth a lot. Seems like poor asset management, but who knows. Prior to the last game he was struggling bad with his punting, but it does seem to be finally coming around. 

42 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

We don't need to bring in a kicker from u sports or take a prospect off another team's pr, we have a guy with a good university resume on the roster already who has a better success rate kicking field goals than mourtada.

Why we stick with a 31 year old american who can't make kicks from the hash marks I have no idea.

Mike O'Shea having a hardcore special teamer mentality and having a soft spot (i.e., loyalty to a fault) for any member going thru a rough patch on or off the field? I dunno.

Easy solution. Open the gates an hour earlier. First fan to make a successful FG from the 45 wins a custom jersey, $100 bomber store credit as a signing bonus and gets the opportunity to kick in game if the opportunity arises. The only caveat being they must sign a waiver stating they will not sue the club if they get completely destroyed by the opposing team. 

31 minutes ago, Noeller said:

You know, i'd been thinking about "why don't they just have the Bisons kicker come in on game days?" but they probably lose their CIS eligibility if they kick in a pro game, right? 

Probably would.
On a related note, they might as well go right to the source and take a look at Oak Park’s kicker. 

35 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Unless Hajrulahu or Medlock becomes available I really don't see the Bombers signing any more kickers.

They will see if Mourtada can get out of this rut and if not Crapinga may come back to do the job

Brett Maher was waived from a conditional contract and is a free agent, health is his primary concern. Lirim is a FA and has bounced between two teams and PR a few times, but its getting well into the season now. Also Sergio Castillo has been trying to get an NFL deal to no avail. All 3 are available, its a question of if they decide to risk sitting for a year vs playing the end of the CFL season and getting back on the radar in the NFL. 

I dont think we see crapinga dress again. Hes not even in winnipeg from the sounds of things. 

27 minutes ago, Noeller said:

You know, i'd been thinking about "why don't they just have the Bisons kicker come in on game days?" but they probably lose their CIS eligibility if they kick in a pro game, right? 

Im sure it would. Idk what happened to him but a former bison kicker was drafted into the LFA and played atleast a bit. It gobsmacks me to think that we couldnt have every thing we get in mourtada but with an NI. 

5 hours ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Easy solution. Open the gates an hour earlier. First fan to make a successful FG from the 45 wins a custom jersey, $100 bomber store credit as a signing bonus and gets the opportunity to kick in game if the opportunity arises. The only caveat being they must sign a waiver stating they will not sue the club if they get completely destroyed by the opposing team. 

I love this idea. Want to see how the average armchair kicker handles the boos when they miss one, or gets 12 pages of hate speech on MBB describing how useless they are. 

O’Shea is keeping him for now, has identified the issue as an alignment one that is being worked on. Like it or not, he is the coach, and to quote the movie Moneyball, he is the man, he answers to no one but management and God. And given where he pulled this club from and where they are in the league at this moment, he’ll get my patience and acceptance if not my thunderous applause and unwavering approval at this time. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

3 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

O’Shea is keeping him for now, has identified the issue as an alignment one that is being worked on

They said it was an alignment thing after game one.... how many games are we supposed to wait for this guy to get it right? Season is winding down and we got a 40% kicker who can't figure out angles yet... Sorry for not having patience. 

8 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I love this idea. Want to see how the average armchair kicker handles the boos when they miss one, or gets 12 pages of hate speech on MBB describing how useless they are. 

O’Shea is keeping him for now, has identified the issue as an alignment one that is being worked on. Like it or not, he is the coach, and to quite the movie Moneyball, he is the man, he answers to no one but management and God. And given where he pulled this club from and where they are in the league at this moment, he’ll get my patience and acceptance if not my thunderous applause and unwavering approval at this time. 

Bomber kicking game being worked on:

May be an image of football and text that says 'W 2'

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

They said it was an alignment thing after game one.... how many games are we supposed to wait for this guy to get it right? Season is winding down and we got a 40% kicker who can't figure out angles yet... Sorry for not having patience. 

Well, we could run him out of town. Like we did with another kicker who set a club record for accuracy in his rookie year, and then got turfed the following season when the average dipped. Went elsewhere and re-found his game with a new team, became an all-star and then went on to the NFL. Went by the name of Hajrullahu or something. 

Remind me again who everyone is now begging management to bring back? Be careful what you wish for. 

4 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Well, we could run him out of town. Like we did with another kicker who set a club record for accuracy in his rookie year,

One was a 20ish year old rookie Canadian, and one is a 30something American........huuuuuuuuuge difference.