3 stars + HH Defense goes elk hunting

wbbfan

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I have an uncle in his early 70s who was out visiting this weekend... Rabid Bombers fan.... And I asked him this very question. He says this is the best Bombers D of all time. That is a HELL of a statement. 

From the defenses I've seen through my time and videos and stories I've heard about our past,this defense sounds like and seems to be the most complete defense right across the board. The scariest d line we've seen in ages,linebackers including bighill are an absolute force and our DBs are scary ball hawks.

Bighill and Jefferson are generational talents. Jefferson is the Mike Sellers of DL. He shouldn't even be here. If not for his troubles in his early 20s, he'd be in the NFL. If Bighill was an inch or two taller, he'd be in the NFL. And then you've got Jeffcoat, who would be a shining star on any other team. Stove would be an NFLer if an inch or two taller. It's a ridiculous D that they've built. 

52 minutes ago, Nolby said:

I'm not quite as old as some (born in 84) but I ask those who were able to witness our great defense in the late 80s where our current defense ranks against the old late great defense or where this one ranks all time for this franchise.

The 1990 defence is regarded by many as the best defence the Bombers ever had (the 1994 offence was considered the best ever, and the 1984 team the greatest all around team - all this according to Bob Irving). Irving himself said on the post game show that this defence is the best he has ever seen. The 1990 defence was solid on creating turnovers. That squad set CFL records with a staggering 48 interceptions, 89 total turnovers, and 13 forced turnovers in one game. In my mind this defence is much more impressive overall, and it’s not really a tight race.

Right now we are at 12.2 points per game against. The all-time record for fewest points per game is Edmonton in 1955 when they gave up 117 in 16 games, for a 7.5 average per game. Offence was very different then, so the recognized modern record (post-1958) is BC in 1964, who gave up 168 points in 16 games for a 10.5 per game average. The last time a team gave up less than 200 points in a season was Hamilton in 1967. Since the introduction of the 18 game schedule, the lowest points allowed in a year was 302 by Edmonton in 1989. Over 18 games we are on pace to give up 220. 

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Bighill and Jefferson are generational talents. Jefferson is the Mike Sellers of DL. He shouldn't even be here. If not for his troubles in his early 20s, he'd be in the NFL. If Bighill was an inch or two taller, he'd be in the NFL. And then you've got Jeffcoat, who would be a shining star on any other team. Stove would be an NFLer if an inch or two taller. It's a ridiculous D that they've built. 

Ahh that would be we built as I’m sure the WBB management regularly takes our sage advice and insights on MBB. 

11 hours ago, Nolby said:

From the defenses I've seen through my time and videos and stories I've heard about our past,this defense sounds like and seems to be the most complete defense right across the board. The scariest d line we've seen in ages,linebackers including bighill are an absolute force and our DBs are scary ball hawks.

The 88 & 90 defenses were very, very good. However, I'd take this year's team defensive line over the other 2 teams. They're better. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27