3 stars + HH Defense goes elk hunting

wbbfan

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Tough call I mean we use him a decent amount as the 6th ol in the heavy set. But right now there isn't a better run blocking guard in the league. Or interior linemen. 

Adding block of the game was a great idea. When you mentioned it in the gdt I knew it was gold. 

I still can't believe we landed Eli where we did in draft..or even at all to be honest...I figured if he was making a football comeback it would have been down south...he was a top ranked center in the entire NCAA...when I saw that name on draft day I had to double check it was same dude...guys is NFL talent level and is our 6th guy

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

I still can't believe we landed Eli where we did in draft..or even at all to be honest...I figured if he was making a football comeback it would have been down south...he was a top ranked center in the entire NCAA...when I saw that name on draft day I had to double check it was same dude...guys is NFL talent level and is our 6th guy

Yep. Danny Macs connections made for maybe the greatest cfl draft steal ever. If we started Eli all this year he'd be in the NFL next available window. 

16 minutes ago, Booch said:

From what I recall the others teams didn't even know he still wanted to play.

Love Couture but I see him heading back home to BC next year and Ali jumping in there.

54 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

From what I recall the others teams didn't even know he still wanted to play.

Love Couture but I see him heading back home to BC next year and Ali jumping in there.

That's right. He retired and was out of football for a year after he tore up his knee. Macs family is close to his and I think modestly related. Mac talked to him and he wanted to play again. No one else kicked the tires they didn't know he was interested. 

Idk what will happen but some thing will give. Bryant turns 36 next year. Neufeld will turn 33 in December but has 10 seasons on his body. You never know with either guy. They've both seen soo much action for an ol a 2nd ring might leave them wanting to ride off into the sunset. We've also had to replace young ol pretty consistently. Suhk goosen and speller. Pretty much 1 a year. 

Harris: especially with Lawler out, I thought the Elks would key on him and force the Bombers to throw more 

OL: Outstanding game - can't say enough about the talent and depth of this group...truly incredible

Bighill: Mr. Everydown

HH: the Jeffs

Block of the game: in this case it was beating a wannabee block.  Stove manhandling the centre on the Esks' goal line  

Crunch: the secondary as a unit 

22 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Dee Alford's work on Derel Walker has been crazy.

I know The kid in Saskatchewan is getting a lot of ROTY love (shocking) but walking into the CFL and playing at an all-star caliber at  boundary corner is pretty ridiculous.

And playing a new game to boot..

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Bailey just obliterated the end too on one of Harris' runs in first quarter..around the 11:20 mark I think

Bailey looked great on the two runs too. He's turning into an imp demski. 

2 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Man, Eli pushed the pile on that Harris TD where he dragged the whole team into the endzone.

He's a damn human wall. 

1 hour ago, do or die said:

Everyone blocks.....everyone tackles

This team.

This. Harris runs down the pick. Every one gives it all every play whistle to whistle. It's beautiful to watch. 

Usually teams are lucky to have 1 wr who is an excellent blocker. It's a prerequisite here. 

58 minutes ago, Booch said:

And playing a new game to boot..

Winnipeg is a serious hot spot for dbs. For the rest of the league and the NFL. Cus alford is gonna get an NFL deal as soon as he's able. Nichols too. 

Edited by wbbfan

I'm a little late....

1. Biggie. That hit set the tone for the entire game.

2. Harris. Is he really 34 years old??

3. The rest of the defence. 3 points given up is just amazing.

HH. Hardrick. After leaving the game he was out for the 2nd half in sweats, encouraging the guys, congratulating them, and marching arouind the field. His enthusiasm is infectious, and is just amazing to watch. 

7 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

In the past five games 2 TD given up. I have never seen that in the CFL. How crappy were they  in the first 5 they gave up 6.

Also Elks longest drive was 6 plays two others were 5 the rest under that.

It's better than once in a generation level defense. 

We've had 1 or 2 pick 6s and only given up 2 passing td. Qbs have as good a chance of giving us a td as throwing for one against us. 

On 2021-10-08 at 10:24 PM, Arnold_Palmer said:

It’s looking like this is going to be an all time great defense. I wonder if someone makes a run at Ritchie Hall as head coach again in the off season. 

I'm not quite as old as some (born in 84) but I ask those who were able to witness our great defense in the late 80s where our current defense ranks against the old late great defense or where this one ranks all time for this franchise.

3 minutes ago, Nolby said:

I'm not quite as old as some (born in 84) but I ask those who were able to witness our great defense in the late 80s where our current defense ranks against the old late great defense or where this one ranks all time for this franchise.

I have an uncle in his early 70s who was out visiting this weekend... Rabid Bombers fan.... And I asked him this very question. He says this is the best Bombers D of all time. That is a HELL of a statement.