Week 10 - Non-Champ Edition

JCon

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Ottawa has improved greatly with Caleb Evans as their new, young qb. They play hard & are giving teams a run for their money now. It looks like the Elks have become the worst team in the CFL so the Bombers playing them is now the free space on the bingo card. 

Remember when people thought the schedule was so unfair to the Bombers because we did not get to face Ottawa like every other team and were stuck with Edmonton 3 times? 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

6 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Remember when people thought the schedule was so unfair to the Bombers because we did not get to face Ottawa like every other team and we’re stuck with Edmonton 3 times? 

Per other fanbase, we... 

Just Got Lucky GIFs | Tenor

😅

Edited by M.O.A.B.

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

Watching the Monday games confirmed for me two things:

1. LaPolice has a lot of chicken feathers on that team.

2. Non of these teams have a quarterback

My CFL Rankings:

1. Bombers

8. Riders, Stamps, Lions, TiCats

9. Elks, Alouettes, RedBlacks, Argos

why argos in the basement? 

This weekend’s game scores seemed to show how close the teams are other than Winnipeg. Those other 3 games could have gone either way. So the rankings could be flipped from 2-7 and really hard to argue it. But taking recent trends into account:

1. Winnipeg

then the Grand Canyon, then

2. Toronto - at some point you are what your record says you are. Two wins this week, beat Calgary in Calgary and hung the only L on the Bombers this year. 

3. BC - should not be this high, but with the other teams’ movement they get it by default. 

4. Hamilton - they should not be this high having lost two straight, but those were razor thin losses and they still have the talent and coaching to make noise down the stretch. 

5. Calgary - rising but I am still not convinced they are anywhere near their past selves. 

6. Saskatchewan - in a tailspin ever since their set against the Bombers, may be some infighting now that the cracks are showing so definitely trending down. 

3 to 6 you could pick names out of a hat and whatever order they came out in would be acceptable. 

7. Montreal - so they have won 2 in a row and get Ottawa twice more, so they will end up with a decent record, but they look really bad doing it. Three of their 4 wins have been against the Elks and RedBlacks  and their 4th was a game Hamilton gave away. Probably should have lost yesterday. And here’s an interesting debate. Which phenom QB from last year looks more like a pretender this year, Fajardo or Adams Jr. ? This may be too low, but I have given up trying to figure them out.

8. Ottawa - very little talent, but they are scrappy and that defence actually looks pretty good. 

9. Edmonton - Hard to believe that with some of the supposed star power on paper they have, especially on offence, that they are so inept. Blow it up. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

Watching the Monday games confirmed for me two things:

1. LaPolice has a lot of chicken feathers on that team.

2. Non of these teams have a quarterback

My CFL Rankings:

1. Bombers

8. Riders, Stamps, Lions, TiCats

9. Elks, Alouettes, RedBlacks, Argos

But the Argos are 1st in the east and just beat hamilton.....?

12 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

If I read the rule book correctly, the ball must be BETWEEN the goal posts, and the goal post is imagined to reach up to infinity. So a ball over the top of the goal post is imagined to hit that goal post, so the field goal attempt would fail. 

yes, but what if I "imagined" the ball bouncing in after hitting the goal post??

22 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

But the Argos are 1st in the east and just beat hamilton.....?

The argos are kind of like the bombers pre collaros, with out nichols at the helm. Nichols was able to do enough passing for us to consistently win games. If they could figure things out and focus on the run they could be a real threat. I fully believe they have the horses in the back field to do it. They dont have the great line we've had though. But they do have a tremendous wealth of talent at WR. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

The argos are kind of like the bombers pre collaros, with out nichols at the helm. Nichols was able to do enough passing for us to consistently win games. If they could figure things out and focus on the run they could be a real threat. I fully believe they have the horses in the back field to do it. They dont have the great line we've had though. But they do have a tremendous wealth of talent at WR. 

I hear ya......and our only loss is to who????They look like they have turned a corner .....they've replaced Ham. as a threat as far as I'm concerned

10 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Which phenom QB from last year looks more like a pretender this year, Fajardo or Adams Jr. ?

Fajardo and it ain't close.  Adams hasn't blown anyone away this year but he's at least capable of putting a 30+ yard pass somewhere in his receiver's catch radius.

You could give Fajardo a corps of Burnham, S.J. Green, Arsenaux and Milt all in their primes and the Riders would still have no deep game. Give that same crew to Adams and the result would be at least fun to watch.

Yup...that offences deep and intermediate pass woes is soley on Faj...he just can't make em consistently.

Even look at the ones between 10 and 20 yards that he makes...9 out of 10 are high and receiver had to leap to get them...exposing them to big hits and allowing DB's to close for minimal yac yards.

And many shorter ones are in their feet...or behind...but u get Suitor pumping his tires saying the receiver ran thru the window...the odd time it happened but most times he can't hit or lead a target.

Last year...at first he hit some deep shots but that was more DB's not expecting him to take those shots and were in chase to get back to receiver..and even then majority were guys having to come back to ball..stop...and battle as they hung up there just waiting to be picked off or swatted away...look at how his success changed from mis season 2019 until now...he's a backup/Change of pace guy and nothing more...and at 400k+ per year..yikes

Edited by Booch

6 hours ago, Brandon said:

I think Vernon Adams looks worse this year then Cody Fajardo.   The guy is way to erractic and makes terrible decisions.

Fajardo is decent at making 10 yard passes.... get him in Ottawa ASAP and Lapo will be thrilled.  

Fajardo would do well in a Lapo offence. Fajardo is a game manager like Nichols and needs that type of offence and personnel around him.  Asking Fajardo to win the game with his arm is a recipe for a losing record, just like it would have been if we asked Nichols to do it. Saskatchewan loves their shiny baubles and spends on skill players instead of their trenches and it can be exciting football at times but is not how you build a champion. The Riders don't even try to fix their trenches right. Garbage DEs because an over rated Micah makes all the cheddar, and an OL that, despite being a problem for years, has never really been addressed (JSJ bust, Shepley never wanted to be there, Mattland Riley a reach at his pick that needs a ton of development). Look at their high draft picks they've used on OL, any of them playing? Even there non OL draft picks either mediocre or left first chance they got. The RIders badly need a new person in charge of NAT scouting and a GM who will commit to building from the lines out instead of overpaying head cases like Marshall, Gainey or throwing big bucks at pedigree like Duke Williams or Micah Johnson.

Edited by GCn20

6 hours ago, Brandon said:

I think Vernon Adams looks worse this year then Cody Fajardo.   The guy is way to erractic and makes terrible decisions.

Fajardo is decent at making 10 yard passes.... get him in Ottawa ASAP and Lapo will be thrilled.  

Vaj has been awful this year. The first game vs ott inflated his stats. And the to game after they fired their coaches but before jones took over too. But even then against that brutal stubbler defense he threw 2 picks with 2 tds. 

Vaj doesnt have a throwing blind spot, but he has piss poor decision making. I dont think khari's offense is well tailored to vaj, but I dont know how you would tailor it to fit him better. Run 22 formation from under center with just 2 wrs and hand hold his reads?

Fajardo has a much better offense designed around what he can do. The problem is, what he can do is really limited. 

At this point I wouldnt want either as more than a back up qb. If I had to pick one for a back up Id prefer fajardos skill set and ability to run an offense. But hes been toxic AF this year. Vaj isnt nearly as toxic. Id honestly stick to mcguire over either guy, even at the same money. I think both guys are getting dangerously close to the jennings-printers wash out line. Both guys could be in the XFL next year. Or one of the other fledgling spring leagues. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Vaj has been awful this year. The first game vs ott inflated his stats. And the to game after they fired their coaches but before jones took over too. But even then against that brutal stubbler defense he threw 2 picks with 2 tds. 

Vaj doesnt have a throwing blind spot, but he has piss poor decision making. I dont think khari's offense is well tailored to vaj, but I dont know how you would tailor it to fit him better. Run 22 formation from under center with just 2 wrs and hand hold his reads?

Fajardo has a much better offense designed around what he can do. The problem is, what he can do is really limited. 

At this point I wouldnt want either as more than a back up qb. If I had to pick one for a back up Id prefer fajardos skill set and ability to run an offense. But hes been toxic AF this year. Vaj isnt nearly as toxic. Id honestly stick to mcguire over either guy, even at the same money. I think both guys are getting dangerously close to the jennings-printers wash out line. Both guys could be in the XFL next year. Or one of the other fledgling spring leagues. 

I was expecting Vernon Adams to have a breakout year, but he looks to have regressed. He does not seem to be able to read an offence or go through his progressions.  His injury might actually help the Larks.

10 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I was expecting Vernon Adams to have a breakout year, but he looks to have regressed. He does not seem to be able to read an offence or go through his progressions.  His injury might actually help the Larks.

I wouldve bet that he'd out improve fajardo for sure. He has soo many tremendous weapons around him. I thought if any thing we might see the young guns take over the qb elite ranks. But at this point we arent any closer to that happening. 

I think this year is a prime example of the under rated value of the trenches. The bombers are built around the lines, and we're the most dominant team through 9 games in maybe 70 years. The teams with shaky OLs have had serious issues this year. Ham, ssk, to, bc, mtl all have pretty bad Ols. Imo no other team has a great OL. Its an assortment of mediocre and out right bad ols. 

We might see a serious jump in pay rate for OL this off season. For years pundits and teams have looked at QBs, and play makers on O and D to build around. Then they fit the cost of the OL around what they had left and needed for ratio. Our secondary is pretty cheap, and we dont have any WRs that are one and done prospects. League wide NI wrs are closing the gap, ratio breakers are available at every position pretty much, and NI lber is more regular now. I think we could see more NI rbs too. Especially if teams focus more on building their OL. 

What absolutely astonishes me is how a CFL GM can allow 5 OL to walk away, or retire in a single offseason and not do a damn thing about it. I get that O'Day was caught off guard by Vaughn's injury and Labatte's retirement but he absolutely failed miserably in signing Bladek, Blake, or Shepley to extensions or to properly guage that Cofield's knees were so wonky he had to retire. But even if all of that was excusable how on god's green earth does he justify continuing to roll out that abomination of an OL 10 games into a 14 game season.  Lauderdale, Ferland, and Boyko are PR level OL at best...maybe not even that and there are no other options even. O'Day has had 3 months to bring in adequate OL...he has done nothing but supply his coaches with absolutely sub par OL. Why on god's green earth is this guy not bringing in or trading for OL? Poor old Craig Dicky is going to get terminated for some god awful GMing by O'Day and Fajardo will likely have his career ruined due to shellshock the same way Drew Willy did.

Edited by GCn20