Week 10 - Non-Champ Edition

JCon

Just now, M.O.A.B. said:

2013 Mulumba pick happened under Sleepy Joe. Walters took over as interim GM after Bombers' 1-5 start that year.

Goossen, Chung, Wolitarsky, Gray, Desjarlais, Kongbo - were solid picks 
Corney (3yrs - 19TD 11ST 2sacks) and Waggoner (2nyrs 1DT 21ST 1FF) - were fair picks 
Ekakite - (1yr - 5DT) a bust.

Imo, faith is the only real bust. And that wasnt a strong top end of the draft. Corney couldve been great and is the biggest physical freak to come out of the cfl draft, but he was a good rotational player and was really close. I bet he could still play football if he wanted to. Waggoner was a gem on teams, and couldve done more on D. Id take him then over most of our NI depth today. 

The hallett boys are gonna be the back bone of our teams for years to come. And rotational quality defenders at worst. If the 19 draft was done again today, Desjarlais would go no1. Brady has been very good in limited reps too. Eli is the biggest steal in draft history. Exume was the 70th pick and instantly one of the top STs guys in the league and a rotational defensive piece. Simonise and petey are still in the league with 2nd and 3rd teams. Which is more than 90% of the top 2 rounds can say. FMB still in the league, Qadr spooner was the hot commodity back up OL for a while and was on 1 or 2 other teams but ped and injuries derailed his career. Taylor loffler had a really solid career. Immediate starting NI db in the 3rd round? yes pls. Gauthier, and briggs have done a lot for us especially this year how many 14/15 picks are still around? Normand is one of the better fbs and a sts anchor in mtl, derek jones was a big rotational piece and teamer here, and lets not forget cody speller. Undrafted free agent to starting OL. 

The mafia have gotten tremendous value out of each years draft. Frequently our depth players end up being depth players for other teams after playing here. Nothing is a higher sign of good drafting than your depth picks filling out rosters across the league. 

51 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

2013 Mulumba pick happened under Sleepy Joe. Walters took over as interim GM after Bombers' 1-5 start that year.

Corney (3yrs - 19DT 11ST 2sacks) and Waggoner (2yrs 1DT 21ST 1FF) - were fair picks 

5 out of 8 - I'll take that ratio.

I say Waggoner is a bust. But sure, splitting hairs. Either way - I'm steadfast in the belief that this team is a win-now mode, and futures being sold to fix the team's glaring kicking issue is a must do. If it doesn't happen I'll be shocked, personally.

2021 Grey Cup>>>>>>2022 draft pick(s)

Edited by Dr Zaius

16 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

I say Waggoner is a bust. But sure, splitting hairs. Either way - I'm steadfast in the belief that this team is a win-now mode, and futures being sold to fix the team's glaring kicking issue is a must do. If it doesn't happen I'll be shocked, personally.

2021 Grey Cup>>>>>>2022 draft pick(s)

Sure, call Corney and Waggoner a bust. It's still 5 out of 8 solid pieces picked by the Mafia. 
I still maintain that 1st round pick is too high for 6 games of Ward or Whyte. If it's a conditional on them re-signing here then sure.

17 hours ago, Goldkobra said:

I've always hated the "the draft is nothing but a crapshoot" line. Thats just an excuse for not doing your homework.  

I think it is still a bit of a crapshoot... but all the ore reason to stockpile picks... you're far more likely to get three good players out of 8 picks than 4 picks...

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I remember a couple of Bomber coaches with classic quotes:

Joe Zaleski said when asked by a local scribe if the Bombers can make the playoffs after just 2 wins going into September. He answered, "We're optimistic". 

Bud Riley was asked why the Bombers lost their last game. He replied, "We just made a few mental errors". We heard that a lot during his tenure as HC. It was a common staple quote for him after every loss. So much so that fans would yell from thye stands on every stinker play, "Mental error, Bud???"

At least no Bomber Head Coach has ever said he cut a player because he wasn't a "cultural fit". What the hell does that even mean??

Not a cultural fit is code for he openly questioned the teams coaching or management.

17 hours ago, Dr Zaius said:

2013- mulumba
2014 -Goossen
15- Chung
16 - Corney
17 - forfeited for Wolitarsky I think?
18 - Geoff Gray
19 - no pick
20- Desjarlais
20 - Kongbo

That's every first round pick since Walters has taken over. Saying the draft is a crapshoot might be a little harsh, but it's certainly not your key to finding franchise players like it is in every other professional sport in North America.

All I'm saying is you don't sacrifice championships over future draft picks. 
If there's a deal on the table for futures for a reliable kicker at the cost of even a first round pick - it has to be done. IMO, of course. 

You forgot 1st overall Faith Ekakitie in 2017. Wolitarsky cost us a 3rd rounder. Ekakitie was easily Walters worst solo pick in the 1st round but the Wolitarsky supplemental made up for that boner.

Edited by GCn20

Just now, do or die said:

Beating up on the Riders, in the last game of the season, under Reinebold.....to finish at 4-14. 
Dr. Jeff in the post game, talks about "the team Winnipeg fans have been waiting for"
The next year, Bombers start 0-6 and Reinebold is fired.

We're gonna bring the cup back where the thang belongs. 

Had to love his optimism. Until you couldnt stand it any more any way. 

1 hour ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Sure, call Corney and Waggoner a bust. It's still 5 out of 8 solid pieces picked by the Mafia. 
I still maintain that 1st round pick is too high for 6 games of Ward or Whyte. If it's a conditional on them re-signing here then sure.

Corney and Waggoner weren't busts. Both played well in there time here. Waggoner was a good STer and valuable back up and Corney was about the equal to what we have in Kongbo now but his career was shortened due to injury. 

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

Corney and Waggoner weren't busts. Both played well in there time here. Waggoner was a good STer and valuable back up and Corney was about the equal to what we have in Kongbo now but his career was shortened due to injury. 

Yup they're not busts on my book. but for @Dr Zaius, they are. 

21 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Honestly the only OL depth in the league is in winnipeg. No one else has a healthy guy on the bench that is above replacement level. I wouldnt trade Eli for any thing. Id trade gray for a hero package that would have to start with a phenomenal kicker. (And I really like gray)

If any thing the riders should dump powell, and go NI at rb. A guy like augustine should be gettable for cheap. STE if you want to pay more.  Or try and get combs for cheap from ott, or just grab a guy like lyles to back up lafrance.  Start 3 NI wrs, and then you only have to start 2 ni on the OL. 

Then dig up some NFL cast off OL and run an air lift till you find a couple that can adjust. 

As it is they have 0 chance of winning a play off game with a couple OL who are junior level. Theyve got OL who might not start in Usports. 

A trade would be tough. However, the RIders are currently starting 9 NATs. 4 along the OL. Why they aren't airlifting a couple IMP OT and OG prospects is beyond me. They could go 3 IMP OL without breaking a sweat and get pylons like Ferland and Boyko immediately off their OL.

5 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Yup they're not busts on my book. but for @Dr Zaius, they are. 

Corney was a 2nd rounder so I wouldn't call him a bust. With Waggoner we bid our 1st rounder and paid dearly since it turned out to be the 1st overall but he was developing nicely until he decided making sports drinks was more profitable than football.

2 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Corney (3yrs - 19DT 11ST 2sacks) and Waggoner (2yrs 1DT 21ST 1FF) - were fair picks 

5 out of 8 - I'll take that ratio.

Walters was our ass't GM and director of canadian scouting under Sleepy Joe so he was definitely involved in the decision to draft Mulumba. However, at the end of the day Mack has to wear that. All in all though I don't have a problem with the Mulumba pick as he was NFL calibre talent. Not a bust. Just a guy we could never get signed in the end. We had our shot at him a couple years ago and Walters wouldn't do the deal because he was asking for too much cash. If we had signed him who knows how that pick is viewed now. A swing and a miss to be sure and a wasted pick in hindsight but really not an outrageously bad one. A gamble that didn't pay off. I still say that I think Mack drafted him because his buddy in Green Bay was going to do him a solid and release him but Mack got fired and Dom gave the Bombers a screw you instead. It can't be overlooked that Mulumba did come available in his prime and we were unable to come to terms with him though.

Edited by GCn20

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

With Waggoner we bid our 1st rounder and paid dearly since it turned out to be the 1st overall but he was developing nicely until he decided making sports drinks was more profitable than football.

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/news/2021/08/10/tampas-cirkul-water-bottle-company-closes-30m.html

A Tampa-based company innovating water bottles has closed a $30 million funding round, nearly quintupling its previous funding raise.

Cirkul, which raised $6.6 million in November 2020, has seen massive growth since its previous funding. The company has continued to go viral on social media app TikTok and hired 100 additional employees from March to June.

"As a profitable business, we didn’t have a need for outside capital, but we took advantage of a great opportunity to add some terrific investors and strategic partners to our cap table," CEO Garrett Waggoner said in an email to the Business Journal.

Unfortunate for the Bombers as they had to forfeit second overall in 2016 for him but his business has taken off recently.

13 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

A trade would be tough. However, the RIders are currently starting 9 NATs. 4 along the OL. Why they aren't airlifting a couple IMP OT and OG prospects is beyond me. They could go 3 IMP OL without breaking a sweat and get pylons like Ferland and Boyko immediately off their OL.

Corney was a 2nd rounder so I wouldn't call him a bust. With Waggoner we bid our 1st rounder and paid dearly since it turned out to be the 1st overall but he was developing nicely until he decided making sports drinks was more profitable than football.

The elk did the same thing with the extra NI starters in the last game vs us. I dont get it. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

The elk did the same thing with the extra NI starters in the last game vs us. I dont get it. 

I'm not sure why Edmonton did that either, a little more understandable though as they are kind of in rebuild mode so getting your NATs a little playing time instead of airlifting people in is a little more excusable....still strange though. I know that the covid protocols make airlifting a lot more problematic but in Saskatchewan's case if they get an OL they are a contender, and without one they are dead, seems really weird that O'Day doesn't seem to want to address this? Not only that but they have been awful from day one...it's not a recent development.

40 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

You forgot 1st overall Faith Ekakitie in 2017. Wolitarsky cost us a 3rd rounder. Ekakitie was easily Walters worst solo pick in the 1st round but the Wolitarsky supplemental made up for that boner.

That Ekakitie pick was the one we got from Toronto for Drew Willy correct? Who by that point was a pick machine and essentially done as a QB.   Unless my memory is slipping.  I'm not saying that it makes that pick any less a bust, but it does soften the blow that it was a gift pick in the first place.  Sort of I guess.

Blue Bombers ship Willy to Argos; acquire Glenn in trade with Als - CFL.ca

2 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

That Ekakitie pick was the one we got from Toronto for Drew Willy correct? Who by that point was a pick machine and essentially done as a QB.   Unless my memory is slipping.  I'm not saying that it makes that pick any less a bust, but it does soften the blow that it was a gift pick in the first place.  Sort of I guess.

Blue Bombers ship Willy to Argos; acquire Glenn in trade with Als - CFL.ca

yep it was a freebie. It was willy, for faith, petermann, and heath. Did we trade heath away or did he walk in FA? Idr. But it was the trade that kept on giving. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

yep it was a freebie. It was willy, for faith, petermann, and heath. Did we trade heath away or did he walk in FA? Idr. But it was the trade that kept on giving. 

He signed with the Argos prior to the 2018 season as a free agent. His stint as a Bomber was a fun one to watch. Solid player and person.

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

I think it is still a bit of a crapshoot... but all the ore reason to stockpile picks... you're far more likely to get three good players out of 8 picks than 4 picks...

A crapshoot would imply its a matter of chance that your picks pan out and there is no way to slant the odds in your favor.  A literal roll of the dice. It's just not true. The cfl draft presents some challenges that other leagues don't face, and bad luck can be a factor. But it's not the only factor.

6 minutes ago, Goldkobra said:

A crapshoot would imply its a matter of chance that your picks pan out and there is no way to slant the odds in your favor.  A literal roll of the dice. It's just not true. The cfl draft presents some challenges that other leagues don't face, and bad luck can be a factor. But it's not the only factor.

I agree. You can DEFINITELY lessen your odds dramatically of your picks ending up as busts. You'll still get some busts. that's the nature of any draft, but by scouting thoroughly, knowing what you are looking for, and doing a good assessment of character your draft record can be improved dramatically. Take the Riders for instance, under Jones they took futures consistently and drafted guys like Shepley who let it be known their priority was the NFL. While compiling rights to a bunch of skilled players it does nothing to put players on the field.  Drafting guys who will never show up in a CFL camp, or will look to leave first chance they get ala Judge, Demski, Shepley is not a recipe for success even if they are the most skilled guys when your draft number comes up.

Edited by GCn20

Looking back the only true bad drafts for Walters was 2017 and 2018 only two players had any significant playing time Conteh and Peterman, Other than that the 2014-2106 he drafted 2 CFL all stars, 1 Division All-Start. 5 Players that went on to full time starters or the next man up (Briggs). And the core of our SP teams Briggs and Gauthier. 2019 was good also 5 players from that draft a regular roster players on this team and also got a very good year from Exume before he signed in Montreal.