Week 10 - Non-Champ Edition

JCon

22 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

What absolutely astonishes me is how a CFL GM can allow 5 OL to walk away, or retire in a single offseason and not do a damn thing about it. I get that O'Day was caught off guard by Vaughn's injury and Labatte's retirement but he absolutely failed miserably in signing Bladek, Blake, or Shepley to extensions or to properly guage that Cofield's knees were so wonky he had to retire. But even if all of that was excusable how on god's green earth does he justify continuing to roll out that abomination of an OL 10 games into a 14 game season.  Lauderdale, Ferland, and Boyko are PR level OL at best...maybe not even that and there are no other options even. O'Day has had 3 months to bring in adequate OL...he has done nothing but supply his coaches with absolutely sub par OL. Why on god's green earth is this guy not bringing in or trading for OL? Poor old Craig Dicky is going to get terminated for some god awful GMing by O'Day and Fajardo will likely have his career ruined due to shellshock the same way Drew Willy did.

Honestly the only OL depth in the league is in winnipeg. No one else has a healthy guy on the bench that is above replacement level. I wouldnt trade Eli for any thing. Id trade gray for a hero package that would have to start with a phenomenal kicker. (And I really like gray)

If any thing the riders should dump powell, and go NI at rb. A guy like augustine should be gettable for cheap. STE if you want to pay more.  Or try and get combs for cheap from ott, or just grab a guy like lyles to back up lafrance.  Start 3 NI wrs, and then you only have to start 2 ni on the OL. 

Then dig up some NFL cast off OL and run an air lift till you find a couple that can adjust. 

As it is they have 0 chance of winning a play off game with a couple OL who are junior level. Theyve got OL who might not start in Usports. 

9 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Bottom line is I don't think there is a gm in thr league who does their homework on the draft as much as walters does. Same with the global draft. He is the most proactive gm in the league if you ask me.

His philosophy of always drafting guys for the lines has paid off bigtime. 

All one has to do is look at drafting before Walters got here......and what it has been since.

11 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Bottom line is I don't think there is a gm in thr league who does their homework on the draft as much as walters does. Same with the global draft. He is the most proactive gm in the league if you ask me.

His philosophy of always drafting guys for the lines has paid off bigtime. 

I think the great key to our success is knowing our team as much as it is knowing the players. Lots of teams can look and see talent. Some teams can predict how talent will project in the CFL. But no team is doing a fraction of the job the mafia is at projecting players fitment into their cfl roster. 

When the bombers draft a guy, they know what role that guy will fill if they succeed. They know how to deploy them and it fits with what we do. Many times, my self and others have gone oh I wish we drafted that guy! And some times that guy is indeed a good cfler. But not soo much a good bomber. Some times of course other teams pick guys we'd love before we can, but over all we do an exceptional job picking guys who will fit what we do as a pro. 

And just like the players fit the team, the mafia fit each other. Wade, walters, mos, and all the rest. They are all in sync. 

In his book "the score takes care of it self", bill walsh talks about his first changes when he took over the 49ers job. He instituted standard operating procedure for every single job. It didnt matter if it was janitorial, receptionist, or QB. Every job was held to the same standard of excellence, and every member of the franchise was expected to fit the mold. The whole book is basically about winning culture. Id strongly recommend it for any bomber fan, the style of culture building is exactly like what the bombers have done. 

Miller, Walters, and MOS.....are simply total CFL lifers - they really understand how this league works, and what is required to succeed, and the will to just do it.  
We used to have way too much passing of the buck, a million entries in the ole Bomber book of excuses, and an never-ending assortment of different levels of incompetence........for so many years, on OB and here..... I screamed for, begged and demanded a culture re-boot for this team. 
These guys have done just that, and I couldn't be prouder.......

32 minutes ago, do or die said:

Miller, Walters, and MOS.....are simply total CFL lifers - they really understand how this league works, and what is required to succeed, and the will to just do it.  
We used to have way too much passing of the buck, a million entries in the ole Bomber book of excuses, and an never-ending assortment of different levels of incompetence........for so many years, on OB and here..... I screamed for, begged and demanded a culture re-boot for this team. 
These guys have done just that, and I couldn't be prouder.......

damn right. And my favorite all time excuse is "We just need time to gel!"

Just now, Goldkobra said:

I've always hated the "the draft is nothing but a crapshoot" line. Thats just an excuse for not doing your homework.  

Isnt it remarkable how much more of a crapshoot it is for some one like Mack than for Walters? Must have a good set of loaded dice... 🤣

Edited by wbbfan

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

CIS draft is still very much a crapshoot, but it is slightly less so when you do as much research as Walters and his team...

Also if you know what you are drafting for. Canadian players are supplemental pieces. I don’t want this to sound like a slight, but your starting QB, best receiver, best linebacker, top defensive back, dominant end rusher, even best o-lineman are now going to be American. Even with the current fad of Canadian running backs, it was not always this way. And the league is now shifting to American kickers. So trying to land a Canadian star at a glamour position is unlikely, and viewing the draft as a means to turn your organization around in one fell swoop with a franchise player is not reality. The draft is for long term depth building for the most part. It requires patience from upper management and tolerance from fans. Let’s not forget that it took Miller, Walters, O’Shea and co. 6 years and more than a few failures before they climbed the mountain, and on more than one occasion fans screamed for their heads, right up until we beat Calgary in the West semi. That patience has allowed us to (for now) be a team with long term success and not just a flash in the pan. Their draft strategy is a sign of that long term thinking and patience. Not every club approaches it that way or has that luxury. 

2013- mulumba
2014 -Goossen
15- Chung
16 - Corney
17 - forfeited for Wolitarsky I think?
18 - Geoff Gray
19 - no pick
20- Desjarlais
20 - Kongbo

That's every first round pick since Walters has taken over. Saying the draft is a crapshoot might be a little harsh, but it's certainly not your key to finding franchise players like it is in every other professional sport in North America.

All I'm saying is you don't sacrifice championships over future draft picks. 
If there's a deal on the table for futures for a reliable kicker at the cost of even a first round pick - it has to be done. IMO, of course. 

Edited by Dr Zaius

The two about posts stress a) the value of succession planning in the quarterback position (including game experience for backups) and b) the degree of dumbness in the Rider management. Every player has a "best before" date stamp and good NI linemen are valuable and rare.  There will be much wailing, gnashing of teeth and rending of garments in Riderland soon.

some really great stuff from Our Man Tait, in the always-a-good-read Quick Hits feature today ( https://www.bluebombers.com/2021/10/13/quick-hits-week-11-day-2/)

“I just found a picture the other day of what Tui looked like to start training camp in 2019 and at that point he didn’t have much time to prepare for training camp,” said Bombers offensive line coach Marty Costello on a media Zoom call Wednesday. “Just the way Tui looks right now, his whole body type has changed. He really took advantage of the 2020 year and dedicated himself and came back really a completely different player, completely different body type and his knowledge has grown tremendously since he’s been here. I’m really thankful that he’s been around and he used his time wisely, so I’m very grateful that he did that and was excited to see him play on the inside the other day.”

53 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Also if you know what you are drafting for. Canadian players are supplemental pieces. I don’t want this to sound like a slight, but your starting QB, best receiver, best linebacker, top defensive back, dominant end rusher, even best o-lineman are now going to be American. Even with the current fad of Canadian running backs, it was not always this way. And the league is now shifting to American kickers. So trying to land a Canadian star at a glamour position is unlikely, and viewing the draft as a means to turn your organization around in one fell swoop with a franchise player is not reality. The draft is for long term depth building for the most part. It requires patience from upper management and tolerance from fans. Let’s not forget that it took Miller, Walters, O’Shea and co. 6 years and more than a few failures before they climbed the mountain, and on more than one occasion fans screamed for their heads, right up until we beat Calgary in the West semi. That patience has allowed us to (for now) be a team with long term success and not just a flash in the pan. Their draft strategy is a sign of that long term thinking and patience. Not every club approaches it that way or has that luxury. 

Absolutely this.  If you look at it on a league wide basis, the most valuable Canadians are on the DL and OL interior.

The teams that don't take care of those positions - suffer for it immensely.

Those guys are the heart of the Bombers and Coach O'Shea knows that better than anyone.

You don't have to look much further than Jake Thomas getting the Grey Cup first.

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

damn right. And my favorite all time excuse is "We just need time to gel!"

I remember a couple of Bomber coaches with classic quotes:

Joe Zaleski said when asked by a local scribe if the Bombers can make the playoffs after just 2 wins going into September. He answered, "We're optimistic". 

Bud Riley was asked why the Bombers lost their last game. He replied, "We just made a few mental errors". We heard that a lot during his tenure as HC. It was a common staple quote for him after every loss. So much so that fans would yell from thye stands on every stinker play, "Mental error, Bud???"

At least no Bomber Head Coach has ever said he cut a player because he wasn't a "cultural fit". What the hell does that even mean??

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I remember a couple of Bomber coaches with classic quotes:

Joe Zaleski said when asked by a local scribe if the Bombers can make the playoffs after just 2 wins going into September. He answered, "We're optimistic". 

Bud Riley was asked why the Bombers lost their last game. He replied, "We just made a few mental errors". We heard that a lot during his tenure as HC. It was a common staple quote for him after every loss. So much so that fans would yell from thye stands on every stinker play, "Mental error, Bud???"

At least no Bomber Head Coach has ever said he cut a player because he wasn't a "cultural fit". What the hell does that even mean??

Or Tim Burke - "we're on the cusp"...

40 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

You guys remember so much lame crap - it's unbelievable.  Now for a few Reinbolde lines...

🤣

Woah there Mark. This sounds like a non-issue. Let's handle it internally....

Edited by kelownabomberfan

8 hours ago, Dr Zaius said:

2013- mulumba
2014 -Goossen
15- Chung
16 - Corney
18 - Geoff Gray
19 - no pick
20- Desjarlais
20 - Kongbo

That's every first round pick since Walters has taken over. Saying the draft is a crapshoot might be a little harsh, but it's certainly not your key to finding franchise players like it is in every other professional sport in North America.

If there's a deal on the table for futures for a reliable kicker at the cost of even a first round pick - it has to be done. IMO, of course. 

CORRECTIONS

2016   Winnipeg forfeits their first-round selection after selecting Garrett Waggoner in the 2015 Supplemental Draft.  Trent Corney picked in 2nd round.

2017  #1 Faith Ekakitie   Say no more.

2018  Winnipeg forfeits their third-round selection after selecting Drew Wolitarsky in the 2017 Supplemental Draft.

2019  Desjarlais + Kongbo

2020  Winnipeg traded a conditional first-round pick and a third-round selection in this year's draft to Toronto in exchange for Zach Collaros and a fifth-round pick in this year's draft. 

15 hours ago, Dr Zaius said:

2013- mulumba
2014 -Goossen
15- Chung
16 - Corney
18 - Geoff Gray
19 - no pick
20- Desjarlais
20 - Kongbo

2013 Mulumba pick happened under Sleepy Joe. Walters took over as interim GM after Bombers' 1-5 start that year.

Goossen, Chung, Wolitarsky, Gray, Desjarlais, Kongbo - were solid picks 
Corney (3yrs - 19DT 11ST 2sacks) and Waggoner (2yrs 1DT 21ST 1FF) - were fair picks 
Ekakite - (1yr - 5DT) a bust.

5 out of 8 - I'll take that ratio.

Edited by M.O.A.B.