Mid-season CFL player awards - MOP

TrueBlue4ever

MOP team nominees (all full season projections are for an imagined 18 game season)

BC - Lucky Whitehead edges out Michael Reilly. QBs usually get more attention here, and Reilly has some very good numbers (pro-rated over a full season, 4,782 yards, 74% completion percentage, 26-3 TD-INT ratio, and an almost video game-like 117.8 passer rating), but Lucky on pace for 92 catches, 1,710 yards, 10 TDs.

Cal - Kamer Jordan takes it with the QB injury and minimal running game. On pace for a 100 catch season.

Edm - James Wilder Jr. on pace for just shy of 1,500 yards on the ground. 

Sask - Cody Fajardo is still the straw that stirs the Riser drink, despite decent years from William Powell and Kyran Moore carrying the load with Shaq Evans out. Fajardo on pace for over 4,200 yards and a 72.3% completion rate, as well as 738 yards rushing. The 18-18 TD-INT ratio is not good though. 

Wpg - Quite a case could be made for any one of 3 Bomber defenders to be up for this award, given how much defence has propelled this team to the top of the standings, especially in the first 4 games while the offence found its footing. But this is almost exclusively an offensive prize, so Zach Collaros is the easy choice. Projects to 4,452 yards, 70% completion rate, 26-10 TD-INT ratio, and 105.3 passer rating. 

Tor - With the QBs splitting duties and no real receivers jumping off the page, give it to John White IV 

Ham - With all the offensive injuries, the biggest offensive threat has been returner Frankie Williams Jr. 

Ott - Good luck finding an MOP in this motley crew on offence, so unless a defensive player gets picked, return threat Devonte Dedman has been a lone standout for them. 

Mtl - William Stanback is head and shoulders above all others on the team, on pace for a league-beat 1,854 yards rushing. 

West nominee - Wins and losses are a factor when considering award winners, so Zach Collaros would be my nominee (funny that if Lucky Whitehead gets selected for BC, Collaros is the favourite, but if Reilly gets chosen, he might beat out Collaros since the writers look hard at stats and Reilly has better numbers across the board). 

East nominee - William Stanback takes this running away (pun intended). 

Winner - Collaros becomes the 5th Bomber QB and 8th Bomber overall to be named the league’s best.

And if the league did what I wish they did and made it a top 3 nominees, multiple selections for one team allowed, then it would be Collaros, Reilly, and Whitehead as the finalists. 

Thoughts?

22 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

How many mid season threads do we need? 

Sorry, did not see your one from last week, thought I would take a league-wide look. Was going to process the defensive players today at some point, unless someone wants to take a crack at it. Main question - who of Jefferson, Jeffcoat, or Bighill would be the Bomber nominee, and if they chose top 3 league-wide instead of east and west division winners, would the Bombers have all 3 contenders as the finalists?

10 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Thoughts?

Give all the awarda to Saskatchewan and BC. They truly are the class of the West. Let them be fat and happy.

Hope O'Shea keeps our group focused on the only hardware that matters which is given out at the end of the final game of the season.

Anyone else remember the MOP for the 2016 season? Yeah, me neither.

7 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Give all the awarda to Saskatchewan and BC. They truly are the class of the West. Let them be fat and happy.

Hope O'Shea keeps our group focused on the only hardware that matters which is given out at the end of the final game of the season.

Anyone else remember the MOP for the 2016 season? Yeah, me neither.

I don't think Osh even has to...the way this team is built, and the players on the roster and in the clubhouse do a damn good job on the self policing...hence the FIFO mantra

14 minutes ago, Booch said:

I don't think Osh even has to...the way this team is built, and the players on the roster and in the clubhouse do a damn good job on the self policing...hence the FIFO mantra

One would hope. As epic as last year would have been if they went undefeated or something similar...i think in the long run the losses to Toronto and Montreal were very humbling.

58 minutes ago, Noeller said:

meh......no mention of Demski in the MOC category, when he's the clear choice. Also Bryant and Hardrick over any other OL......

Yeah the last couple years its been like "we keep giving this award to Bryant, we need to change it up". Van Zeyl winning it over Stanley in 2019 was a ****ing joke, and him getting turnstilled in the Grey Cup was proof positive.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

1 hour ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Yeah the last couple years its been like "we keep giving this award to Bryant, we need to change it up". Van Zeyl winning it over Stanley in 2019 was a ****ing joke, and him getting turnstilled in the Grey Cup was proof positive.

People here (myself included) widely credit Matt Nichols for bringing us back to respectability. Bryant was just as big (if not a bigger) factor in rebuilding the team..

7 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Id take a long hard look at an OL as the MOC. Like desjarlais. 

Now there’s an interesting point. An OL hasn’t won the award since 1961… which is just bizarre. This league has some fantastic Canadian OLineman. Maybe because they have their own award?

I would personally go MOP being Reilly. Reilly is under duress constantly and is still having a great year, plus that elbow isn’t at 100%, but remains to be seen, Collaros will be in the mix for sure, as will Fajardo.

The East just has no one overwhelming at anything  right now. Could be a western sweep of the awards if this continues.

5 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

Now there’s an interesting point. An OL hasn’t won the award since 1961… which is just bizarre. This league has some fantastic Canadian OLineman. Maybe because they have their own award?

To be honest - it's just a thankless job. Most linemen don't get credit where it is due. They're also usually the first ones thrown under the bus when the offense is in a rut.

36 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

I would personally go MOP being Reilly. Reilly is under duress constantly and is still having a great year, plus that elbow isn’t at 100%, but remains to be seen, Collaros will be in the mix for sure, as will Fajardo.

The East just has no one overwhelming at anything  right now. Could be a western sweep of the awards if this continues.

In order for Reilly to be MOP, he has to survive behind that O-line and I am not sure he will last the season. For my money, when healthy, he was the best QB in the league, but now.........

18 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

People here (myself included) widely credit Matt Nichols for bringing us back to respectability. Bryant was just as big (if not a bigger) factor in rebuilding the team..

I think Matty was the right guy at the right time but it was the rebuild of the OL that year that made the difference and let's be clear our offence was not great until Andrew Harris made his way over from BC. Bryant was our first big FA signing of the new regime and he was essential as he returned credibility to us. Randle Island can never be forgotten for it's impact on our secondary. Matty Ice being available for peanuts and outplaying his expectations was huge, Travis Bond, Jemarcus Hardrick, and Goosen were a revelation along our OL....but Harris....Harris was a key point in recent Bomber history. We were a below average team before him.

14 hours ago, greenrider55 said:

Thats what I assume yes. But MOOL is mostly for import tackles. Id love to see some interior canadian OL get some shine. Underwhelming thy name is east division. 

14 hours ago, Tracker said:

In order for Reilly to be MOP, he has to survive behind that O-line and I am not sure he will last the season. For my money, when healthy, he was the best QB in the league, but now.........

I dont think hes well situated to keep it going. And hes had a couple stinkers this year, plus played ott twice. Ive long thought reilly was the best qb in the league. Basically every year hes played. But this year looks like hes heading for catastrophe more than award trophy. Hes the most valuable player to his team im sure though. With out him they may not have won a game. 

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I think Matty was the right guy at the right time but it was the rebuild of the OL that year that made the difference and let's be clear our offence was not great until Andrew Harris made his way over from BC. Bryant was our first big FA signing of the new regime and he was essential as he returned credibility to us. Randle Island can never be forgotten for it's impact on our secondary. Matty Ice being available for peanuts and outplaying his expectations was huge, Travis Bond, Jemarcus Hardrick, and Goosen were a revelation along our OL....but Harris....Harris was a key point in recent Bomber history. We were a below average team before him.

Ive said it many times, but the shift of hardrick from guard (where he struggled) to tackle, and bond coming in at tackle turned our OL from a turnstyle into monsters. With out question, a lot of things happened to provoke our turn around. BC cut hardrick, bond comes in, bryant harris and randle came over, Mo is MODP quality as a rookie, etc. Luck is the residue of hard work. The mafia worked long and hard to get those breaks. 

2 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

People were really down on Stanley after his first year but that was more of an issue of the talent that was surrounding him.

Remember bob wylie dressing down a media type for implying that all the sacks where a sign the OL wasnt good. And then with in the same year they were hailed as the best unit.  

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Ive said it many times, but the shift of hardrick from guard (where he struggled) to tackle, and bond coming in at tackle turned our OL from a turnstyle into monsters. With out question, a lot of things happened to provoke our turn around. BC cut hardrick, bond comes in, bryant harris and randle came over, Mo is MODP quality as a rookie, etc. 

BC had him in 2014 but he spent 2015 with the Riders before coming to us.