First week of fall GDT: non-Bomber bye week games

TrueBlue4ever

I’m surprised there wasn’t a little more reaction to the final TD… the ref was right there so we’ll have to trust his call… but nothing I saw live or on replays showed Fajarso anywhere near the goal line… and when the pile got up he was a good half yard away from the line… didn’t see him reach the ball out or anything… seemed questionable but the ref made the call and it’s impossible to overturn based on the replays…

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, you're saying we should fear them?? I think it's the other way around. I doubt if other teams want to play us. 

No, I am saying we should respect our opponent. BC is 4-3 but easily could also be 5-2 if they dont collapse...even 6-1 if Reilly starts the year healthy. 

Even though their D and Special Teams leave something to be desired, the game is in BC. Further, as we only play BC twice this year, a win there would really set us up nicely... We would then be leading (or have won) every season series against Western opponents.

Riders caught all the breaks and had the refs in their favor last night. 

That's the way it goes though, we were a gust of wind away from losing the Calgary game.

If I were a Riders fan I would be starting to worry about Fajardos ability to hit the long ball. He's awful. I think when playoffs roll around he's going to cost them. 

Edited by Dr Zaius

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Offensive line. 

wouldnt their o line improve if they ran more?

not like theres any big mystery about the game plan when mike(al) reiley is the qb.

pretty dumb..... two things you can do run, and pass.  do only one of them.

q.   does reiley just do what he wants?

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

I’m surprised there wasn’t a little more reaction to the final TD… the ref was right there so we’ll have to trust his call… but nothing I saw live or on replays showed Fajarso anywhere near the goal line… and when the pile got up he was a good half yard away from the line… didn’t see him reach the ball out or anything… seemed questionable but the ref made the call and it’s impossible to overturn based on the replays…

Surprised TSN even showed a replay 

you know, this week, I don't really care who won -- after the dull & dreary first half of the season, I'm just stoked to see a doubleheader of entertaining and competitive football. Hopefully this bodes well for the second half of the season.

So it looks like the Riders are the clear #2 team in the west, but BC is dangerous ... next week's game vs. the Bombers is gonna be a slobberknocker.  Wish I could go see it but alas next weekend is for other things.

50 minutes ago, johnzo said:

west, but BC is dangerous ..

cant see this. they looked no better than average on d, and are a pass first, second, and last, on O.

and  reiley still wants to be the hero.  lol that guy, and his mother. who honestly cares. 

Edited by Mark F

3 hours ago, Dr Zaius said:

Riders caught all the breaks and had the refs in their favor last night. 

That's the way it goes though, we were a gust of wind away from losing the Calgary game.

If I were a Riders fan I would be starting to worry about Fajardos ability to hit the long ball. He's awful. I think when playoffs roll around he's going to cost them. 

The Riders will be perfectly fine... as long as opposing defenses give the old Richie Hall underneath cushions for Fajardo to hit those 8 yard passes.   

Those long balls were very iffy.  

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The Riders will be perfectly fine... as long as opposing defenses give the old Richie Hall underneath cushions for Fajardo to hit those 8 yard passes.   

Those long balls were very iffy.  

Yeah its becoming clear that you need to force the riders to go deep. And BC is the opposite. Force them work the ball down the field.

9 hours ago, greenrider55 said:

I will! As you know, first place guarantees nothing… 2019 ring a bell?

I love this league.

If you aren't first your last. In 2019 the Bombers were the best team and injuries derailed things. Then we got healthy just in time. The riders at their best are handily behind the current banged up Bombers. 

57 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

If you aren't first your last. In 2019 the Bombers were the best team and injuries derailed things. Then we got healthy just in time. The riders at their best are handily behind the current banged up Bombers. 

It still means nothing. The 2016 Stamps went 15-2-1 and didn’t win it all. 

The attitude, at least from some on this board, is that the Bombers might as well be guaranteed the Grey Cup because every team just isn’t even close to their level, but that’s why you play the games. 

yeah, the 1989 16-2 Eskies were another team that owned the league and pooped out in the playoffs ... opening the door for the 9-9 Riders to win their second stripe.  I think 16-2 makes that team the best regular season team ever.

The 87 Bombers -- according to Cal Murphy, the best team he ever coached -- were cruising fat and happy at 12-6 until they inconceivably shat the bed in the eastern final. 

Of course, everyone remembers the agony of the 2001 Bombers.

More recently the Bombers have turned 7-1 (2011) and 5-1 (2014) starts into playoff heartbreak (no-playoff heartbreak in 2014's case)  I remember Swaggerville, and how Drew Willy was playing like Drew Brees for us and how quickly that bubble popped when he started getting hurt.

Regular season record means nothing when the temp gets low and the stakes get high.  I agree with folks here that the 2021 Bombers just seem way more fundamentally sound than those gimmicky / lucky 2011 and 2014 teams and that O'Shea is right to keep them focused on not being too proud to compete .... but they still gotta deliver the goods in the wintertime to get the trophy.

Edited by johnzo

57 minutes ago, johnzo said:

yeah, the 1989 16-2 Eskies were another team that owned the league and pooped out in the playoffs ... opening the door for the 9-9 Riders to win their second stripe.  I think 16-2 makes that team the best regular season team ever.

The 87 Bombers -- according to Cal Murphy, the best team he ever coached -- were cruising fat and happy at 12-6 until they inconceivably shat the bed in the eastern final. 

More recently the Bombers have turned 7-1 (2011) and 5-1 (2014) starts into playoff heartbreak (no-playoff heartbreak in 2014's case.)  I remember when Drew Willy was playing like Drew Brees for us and how quickly that bubble popped when he started getting hurt.

Regular season record means nothing when the temp gets low and the stakes get high.  I agree with folks here that the 2021 Bombers just seem way more fundamentally sound than those gimmicky / lucky 2011 and 2014 teams and that O'Shea is right to keep them focused on not being too proud to compete .... but they still gotta deliver the goods in the wintertime to get the trophy.

I'm definitely not counting any chickens before they hatch, I think we're all far too scarred for that