First week of fall GDT: non-Bomber bye week games

TrueBlue4ever

12 hours ago, JCon said:

Lightning shall strike twice! 

I was thinking if they go to hodges this year they probably win 1 more game. Rookies usually manage to pull out 1. 

If I was the RBs I would spend the rest of the season focusing on developing a couple young guys. Id dress 3 qbs with Davis as the sacrificial lamb, Hodges and Christion as the projects. I would give those 2 situational drives. First drive of the game, first drive of the half, some garbage time etc. Send em in with max protect schemes and limited options. Like 3 wide and 1 rb. Ease them in and prep them for next year. Try and get them maybe 10 passing reps each or some thing. Then let davis take the brunt of the load out side of that. Treat some games like pre season so you can figure out what you have.

Id work on developing dedmon as a rb too. He looked pretty good in those limited reps, and he has the kind of skill set to excel in that role for plop. Put guys like behar and peterman in situations to excel. Auclair too. 

3 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Why is it a Wednesday game? Seems odd.

I thought the same thing. I hate mid week games. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

I was thinking if they go to hodges this year they probably win 1 more game. Rookies usually manage to pull out 1. 

If I was the RBs I would spend the rest of the season focusing on developing a couple young guys. Id dress 3 qbs with Davis as the sacrificial lamb, Hodges and Christion as the projects. I would give those 2 situational drives. First drive of the game, first drive of the half, some garbage time etc. Send em in with max protect schemes and limited options. Like 3 wide and 1 rb. Ease them in and prep them for next year. Try and get them maybe 10 passing reps each or some thing. Then let davis take the brunt of the load out side of that. Treat some games like pre season so you can figure out what you have.

Id work on developing dedmon as a rb too. He looked pretty good in those limited reps, and he has the kind of skill set to excel in that role for plop. Put guys like behar and peterman in situations to excel. Auclair too. 

good idea.. but unfortunately someone coaching to keep their job probably doesn't have that luxury...

1 minute ago, bearpants said:

good idea.. but unfortunately someone coaching to keep their job probably doesn't have that luxury...

Almost certianly right. If I was ott I would either fire plop now, and take this action or sit him down and say this is the direction we wanna go, if you do it, you 100% will be back next year as HC. 

Its well known that the difference between a bad team thats turning it around and going to be good, and a bad team is losing close games. But another big difference is a bad team knows when its sunk, and instead of sulking through a season or clinging to an inane hope of a magical turn around, focuses on developing young guys. 

We saw it in 15 a bit here. Lots of guys got great chances to show what they could do and develop. The worst teams keep running it out there hoping to suddenly become good over night. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Almost certianly right. If I was ott I would either fire plop now, and take this action or sit him down and say this is the direction we wanna go, if you do it, you 100% will be back next year as HC. 

Its well known that the difference between a bad team thats turning it around and going to be good, and a bad team is losing close games. But another big difference is a bad team knows when its sunk, and instead of sulking through a season or clinging to an inane hope of a magical turn around, focuses on developing young guys. 

We saw it in 15 a bit here. Lots of guys got great chances to show what they could do and develop. The worst teams keep running it out there hoping to suddenly become good over night. 

It's true... the patience shown from Miller, Walters and O'Shea was certainly not matched by the fan base.... but it paid off... and you need all levels on board to pull this stuff off...

6 minutes ago, bearpants said:

It's true... the patience shown from Miller, Walters and O'Shea was certainly not matched by the fan base.... but it paid off... and you need all levels on board to pull this stuff off...

100%. If they think plop is their guy still, they should commit to him. If not they should send him packing now and focus on next year. 

Good lord, no one is firing LaPolice 6 games into his tenure. That would be Joe Mack levels of dickishness. He clearly was the choice of management, axing him one third of the way into a season with a team everyone reasonably predicted going in was extremely weak would be a sign of ownership failure, not his. And who knows exactly who pulled the strings on the Nichols-Arbuckle swap and why. If you take Desjardins at face value, it was a commitment and contract issue, but who knows. If LaPo had that much power that he could make GM moves, then he has the power to be around for at least this year. Not sure anyone truly believed Nichols would have not recovered from a hit two years ago and was playing with what sure looks like a dead arm. Toronto certainly didn’t or they would not be have signed him. And again, taken at face value, the scuttlebutt is that he was released rather than receiving an off-season bonus that was due as a pandemic cost-cutting move. But again, the only ones who know for sure are the management of the Argos and RedBlacks. 

53 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Good lord, no one is firing LaPolice 6 games into his tenure. That would be Joe Mack levels of dickishness. He clearly was the choice of management, axing him one third of the way into a season with a team everyone reasonably predicted going in was extremely weak would be a sign of ownership failure, not his. And who knows exactly who pulled the strings on the Nichols-Arbuckle swap and why. If you take Desjardins at face value, it was a commitment and contract issue, but who knows. If LaPo had that much power that he could make GM moves, then he has the power to be around for at least this year. Not sure anyone truly believed Nichols would have not recovered from a hit two years ago and was playing with what sure looks like a dead arm. Toronto certainly didn’t or they would not be have signed him. And again, taken at face value, the scuttlebutt is that he was released rather than receiving an off-season bonus that was due as a pandemic cost-cutting move. But again, the only ones who know for sure are the management of the Argos and RedBlacks. 

You're right that this management won't fire LaPo right away... but if ownership decides to move on from Desjardins after the season... a new GM could easily (and likely) want his own coach... 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I don't think Desjardins will last this season. That team is terrible both on paper and on the field. If Desjardins goes, I bet the replacement (Jones, I'm guessing), will do away with Plop. They're fates are tied. 

I agree. Big heads are gonna roll. Not just plop. Maybe not plop at all, but I do tend to think a new guy will bring in his own people. 

59 minutes ago, JCon said:

Remind me again please what's the deal with the coaches salary cap? If they're still paying Lapo/Desjardins, don't those salaries continue to count? 

I believe it still counts for the year if they are fired. Im guessing not if they are suspended like in TOR, but I dont know for sure. 

8 minutes ago, bearpants said:

You're right that this management won't fire LaPo right away... but if ownership decides to move on from Desjardins after the season... a new GM could easily (and likely) want his own coach... 

I honestly dont know what to expect next from ott. Its such a dumpster fire any thing is possible. Has any one won 2 games or less and not been fired mid season or even in the off season?

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I honestly dont know what to expect next from ott. Its such a dumpster fire any thing is possible. Has any one won 2 games or less and not been fired mid season or even in the off season?

Actually it has happened a few times. In a 14 game-or-more season, there have been 13 seasons where a team has won 2 or less games (as far as I have researched it; there were seasons of minimum 10 games where a team won 1 or 0 games). 6 times a coach has survived not only that full season but coached the following year in part at least. Here is the list, some very notable names:

Winnipeg has done it twice. In 1964 they went 1-14-1. They retained their head coach. You may have heard of him. Yes, it was Bud Grant, and he followed it up with a Grey Cup appearance in 1965. In 1970 Jim Spavital was in his first year and went 2-14. But they kept him around until 1973 and he got them to the West Final at home in 1972 (incidentally, that was the last time the Bombers finished first in the West and hosted the West Final). 

Saskatchewan went 2-14 in back-to-back years in 1979 and 1980. Ron Lancaster was coach for both full seasons, so he both survived and was purged after a 2 win year. He also shows up again after he was let go following Hamilton’s all-time worst 1-17 season in 2003 (but he made it through the entire season). 

Rick Campbell, as the Ottawa RedBlacks inaugural coach in 2014, was retained when they went 2-16 in his first year. Rather than tying the can to him, they stuck with him and were rewarded with a Grey Cup appearance the following year and won it all two years later in 2016. His GM was also Marcel Desjardins, so he knows something about patience and loyalty. 

The Alouettes also have 2 entries on the list. In 1967 Kay Dalton went 2-12. Undeterred, the Als stick with him and watched him “improve” to 3-9-2. They still held on to him and he went 2-10-2 in 1969 before they finally had enough at season’s end. 

Finally, in 1982 Montreal went 2-16 with their new head coach Joe Galat, but he hung around for another 4 years after that. Other than Bud Grant, interesting to note that all the coaches who survived the 2 win or less season were in their first season as head coach when it happened. 

Of the 8 times a coach was fired during or directly after a 2 win or less season, none of them were in their first year with the club as head coach. 

All this to say if LaPolice is let go any time before the start of next season (assuming the club wins at most once more this year)  it would be unprecedented in CFL coaching history. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Actually it has happened a few times. In a 14 game-or-more season, there have been 13 seasons where a team has won 2 or less games (as far as I have researched it; there were seasons of minimum 10 games where a team won 1 or 0 games). 6 times a coach has survived not only that full season but coached the following year in part at least. Here is the list, some very notable names:

Winnipeg has done it twice. In 1964 they went 1-14-1. They retained their head coach. You may have heard of him. Yes, it was Bud Grant, and he followed it up with a Grey Cup appearance in 1965. In 1970 Jim Spavital was in his first year and went 2-14. But they kept him around until 1973 and he got them to the West Final at home in 1972 (incidentally, that was the last time the Bombers finished first in the West and hosted the West Final). 

Saskatchewan went 2-14 in back-to-back years in 1979 and 1980. Ron Lancaster was coach for both full seasons, so he both survived and was purged after a 2 win year. He also shows up again after he was let go following Hamilton’s all-time worst 1-17 season in 2003 (but he made it through the entire season). 

Rick Campbell, as the Ottawa RedBlacks inaugural coach in 2014, was retained when they went 2-16 in his first year. Rather than tying the can to him, they stuck with him and were rewarded with a Grey Cup appearance the following year and won it all two years later in 2016. His GM was also Marcel Desjardins, so he knows something about patience and loyalty. 

The Alouettes also have 2 entries on the list. In 1967 Kay Dalton went 2-12. Undeterred, the Als stick with him and watched him “improve” to 3-9-2. They still held on to him and he went 2-10-2 in 1969 before they finally had enough at season’s end. 

Finally, in 1982 Montreal went 2-16 with their new head coach Joe Galat, but he hung around for another 4 years after that. Other than Bud Grant, interesting to note that all the coaches who survived the 2 win or less season were in their first season as head coach when it happened. 

Of the 8 times a coach was fired during or directly after a 2 win or less season, none of them were in their first year with the club as head coach. 

All this to say if LaPolice is let go any time before the start of next season (assuming the club wins at most once more this year)  it would be unprecedented in CFL coaching history. 

Soo twice ish in 40 years. Not odds Id want to bet on.

I have a feeling no matter what ott does or doesnt do it's going to be a dumpster fire next year too.

4 hours ago, Mark F said:

Not sure, but I think "plop" is nate's legacy here.

whoever coined that, its up there with incompleterson. 

We've had some good ones over the years. Hands of stone cloman is one of my favorites too. At this rate our kicking game this year is going to merit such a moniker.