Mid season Report Card

Nolby

Since we're now at the halfway point,we can look back and give grades in all areas of our boys. Feel free to add info beside each grade.

Quarterbacks A+

Oline B+

Running backs C+

Receivers B+ (could be an A)

Punters A

PK D- (could be an F )

-------------------------------------------------------

D Line A++++(just picture Ralph's teacher in christmas story)

Linebackers A+

Defensive backs A+

Special Teams coverage B

Special Teams Return D (no fumbles at least)

-----------------------------------------------------

Defensive coaching A+

Offensive coaching A (Buck has been a nice treat)

Coach O'Shea A

Feel free to add anything I may have missed

Edited by Nolby

7 minutes ago, Nolby said:

Since we're now at the halfway point,we can look back and give grades in all areas of our boys. Feel free to add info beside each grade.

Quarterbacks A+

Oline B+

Running backs C+

Receivers B+ (could be an A)

Punters A

PK D- (could be an F )

D Line A++++(just picture Ralph's teacher in christmas story)

Linebackers A+

Defensive backs A+

Special Teams B+

Defensive coaching A+

Offensive coaching A (Buck has been a nice treat)

Coach O'Shea A

Feel free to add anything I may have missed

Place kicking could be an F?? More like grounds for expulsion.

QB- A+, can’t ask anything more of ZC…McGuire is automatic in short yardage:

I’d say Receivers C+, just due to the rough first few weeks. 

RB- Harris A, B- overall

OL- A-. Not as dominant as last year thus far, but still head and shoulders the best in the league.

DL- Ralphies teacher is right…Could be one of the all-time greatest. 

LB- A- Biggie amazing… Career ST guys playing WIL for most of the year and not looking too out of place.

DBs- A+. 2 CFL rookies shining, on the toughest side to play… All-star level play at S…Mike Jones is quietly making a case for himself as a Top 5 corner in the league. 

ST-Kicking game. D-. Only because it hasn’t cost a win. If the D hadn’t complimented so well, I’d go F. 

Coverage- D+ Gave up a lot of return yards, but haven’t allowed a TD. 

Returning- F. snl_charles_nelson_reilly.png

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

QB- A+, can’t ask anything more of ZC…McGuire is automatic in short yardage:

I’d say Receivers C+, just due to the rough first few weeks. 

RB- Harris A, B- overall

OL- A-. Not as dominant as last year thus far, but still head and shoulders the best in the league.

DL- Ralphies teacher is right…Could be one of the all-time greatest. 

LB- A- Biggie amazing… Career ST guys playing WIL for most of the year and not looking too out of place.

DBs- A+. 2 CFL rookies shining, on the toughest side to play… All-star level play at S…Mike Jones is quietly making a case for himself as a Top 5 corner in the league. 

ST-Kicking game. D-. Only because it hasn’t cost a win. If the D hadn’t complimented so well, I’d go F. 

Coverage- D+ Gave up a lot of return yards, but haven’t allowed a TD. 

Returning- F. snl_charles_nelson_reilly.png

I'd give the returning a D-, maybe D because there haven't been any turnovers.  If there had been any turnovers, then it's a definite F.

2 hours ago, Sard said:

I'd give the returning a D-, maybe D because there haven't been any turnovers.  If there had been any turnovers, then it's a definite F.

Not giving up the ball is the most basic rule of any position that touches the ball. Not doing the worst thing possible isnt grounds for an upgrade imo. 

QB A+

RB A- (we dont need harris to be A++ like previously, its been alot harder running this year)

WRs B+ (been an A the last few weeks)

OL A-

DL B+ (Jeffcoat has been dominant the rest have been up and down) 

Lbers B- (bigg has been a major A+ but the wil play has been D)

DBs A+ (Rookies? I dont see rookies. I see beasts.)

Kicking F

KR F

Punting C-

Kick cover C

Mos, Walters and Wade A+

Hall A

Buck B+(with some A trends in the last couple weeks) 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Not giving up the ball is the most basic rule of any position that touches the ball. Not doing the worst thing possible isnt grounds for an upgrade imo. 

QB A+

RB A- (we dont need harris to be A++ like previously, its been alot harder running this year)

WRs B+ (been an A the last few weeks)

OL A-

DL B+ (Jeffcoat has been dominant the rest have been up and down) 

Lbers B- (bigg has been a major A+ but the wil play has been D)

DBs A+ (Rookies? I dont see rookies. I see beasts.)

Kicking F

KR F

Punting C-

Kick cover C

Mos, Walters and Wade A+

Hall A

Buck B+(with some A trends in the last couple weeks) 

Not giving up the ball may not warrant an upgrade in your mind, but fumbling (or dropping passes or throwing interceptions) would certainly warrant a downgrade. And protecting the ball should negate a rating of absolute failure. 

Having said that, here are my ratings: 

Letter grades are as compared to the rest of the league (A league best, B above average, C average, D below average, F league worst), number rankings are overall proficiency (eg. 10 superlative, 5 ordinary, O abysmal) 

QBs  A/A+: If Collaros is not the #1 QB in the CFL, then he is 1A right along side Michael Reilly. After a slow start the offence has definitely stated clicking in the last 2.5 games. McGuire is solid on the sneaks and as holder on kicks (as far as can be seen) and his one pass was a beauty. Overall proficiency number around a 7.5.  Scoring down league-wide, and Collaros has yet to crack 300 yards on any game, and only over 252 twice. Not explosive, but mostly controlling and protecting the ball, and above all, winning. The offensive recipe that won us the 2019 Cup. 

Running backs  A-: Harris pro-rated over 7 games would be leading the league in rushing again, and he is a good bet to sit atop the mountain again by season’s end. Oliveira had a coming out party but stalled since. The backfield pass game is down, except when Demski slots in. Overall top tier in the league and solid production (playing with the lead so much has boosted numbers with more touches late to kill the clock). 7.5 proficiency (better than it appears since we don’t need to rely on it as much as in the past, so it looks more invisible) 

O-line  A+: not a coaching expert, so can’t dissect it completely, but good rushing totals, low sacks, rarely stuffed on 2nd or 3rd and short, and still the same personnel that has been the league’s best for the past 3 seasons. Best in the league, 9.5 proficiency. 

Receivers  B-: definitely trending up since the second half of the LDC, a fully healthy roster now looks more dangerous. But early on lots of drops cannot be ignored in creating the grade. Compared to other teams in the league, in the top half but not tops overall. Lawler the best early but faded as others stepped up. Adams still good for the home run shot, but still only seems to get 3-4 targets a game instead of 8 or 9. Demski has been the receiving MVP to my mind and makes the biggest impact plays, needs to get involved early in a game or sort of disappears. Bailey took a lot of (too much) heat early but has been better since game 3. Wolitarsky dependable when he gets the ball but largely forgotten so far, would classify as a disappointment so far. Proficiency 6 (but a bit higher in last 2.5 games - still no WOW! performances by any of them in any game except maybe game 1 Lawler). 

D-line  A+: if Stove was healthy all year, cue the Ralphie A+++++etc ranking. Game wreckers indeed. Willie J can seem like he’s not there at times, but then always make the big impact play to run the game on its head. Jeffcoat has been more consistently stellar and also makes the big plays too, he is pushing for team and league defensive MOP in an absolutely stacked line-up. Run defence the only blemish at times, but for every big run of 9 or more yards there is a tackle for a loss. Proficiency 9. 

Linebackers B+: Bighill alone is A++ here, brought down by the others. Almost hard to grade his teammates since Adam is such a dominating visible presence. Proficiency Bighill 10, the rest 7. 

DBs  B: That we replaced Rose and Sayles and have not dropped off significantly something. To have not really dropped off much at all is a whole other level of impressive. Still, lots of tackling issues keep this grade down if we look at the whole body of work and not just the last few games. They benefit a lot from the pressure in front of them, when QBs have time to throw they can get picked apart at times. Proficiency 7. 

Return game  D+: Words like “brutal” and “cut him now” as unfair in my mind, but stays don’t lie, he is near the bottom of the league in average return. No breakaway speed and cannot make the quick acceleration when he hesitates to find a hole. But he does not fumble and gets positive yards, so he has been serviceable while Grant was out. And I do not see our blocking schemes doing him any favours. Aside from Dedman and Williams Jr. though, have not really seen returnees lighting up the league anywhere. Proficiency 4. 

Kick coverage  C : we certainly hit hard, and Mike Miller is a heat seeking missle, but we have given up some big returns too. Again wondering g how much blocking schemes are affecting both sides of our return game? Proficiency 6.5. 

Punting. C-: Liegghio has looked good is spots, but his average is near the bottom of the league, and he still kicks some between the hash marks or out of bounds when he shouldn’t. Proficiency 6.5

Kickoffs D- with Crapigna, D with Liegghio, C+ with Mourtada, overall D : not deep enough, not enough hang time, we have given up some big returns. Mourtada in limited viewing provided a solid upgrade  Proficiency 6  

FGs F: Enough already said here in other posts. Proficiency 3 (take away the Calgary win and it dips to a 1, the last 2 weeks it has been a 0). 

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

Fans B+ I think we all agree there is more to give yet

Our usual sellout, but our banner raising home opener (and first league game in 2 years) could not draw over 30,000, and our other 2 home games were the 2 lowest attendances in IG Field history (save for one ice bowl game). Compared to the rest of the league, we are an A (us and Riders are miles ahead of any other fan base) but compared to our own past standard of excellence, this year I’d rate us a C-.

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Just saying.. 5 of the top 9 special teams tackles leaders are bombers 

Specials ain't that bad minus kicking and returning 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

When you lead the league in both total punts and total kickoffs which we do), you would expect to see higher tackle numbers. The league average punt return is 9.2 yards, our punt cover team gives up a 10.6 yard average. Our kick coverage is 19.7 against, the league average return is 20.4. So I’d say our coverage is average (hence my C grade). 

11 hours ago, Goalie said:

Despite the globals and the goat shinning our kick cover team has been a step back from previous years. We seem to give up a big return each game now. Luckily its not the year of the returner any more and we arent giving up TDs. 

Just now, Mark F said:

I have no stats, but it seems like Collaros throws to everyone. no favourite target. which of course is good.

Lawler 7 games 48 targets. 6.9 per game. 

Demski, 5 games 30 targets. 5 per game.

Bailey 7 games 37 targets. 5.28 per game

Adams 5 games 26 targets. 5.2 per game.

Woli, 7 games 21 targets. 3 per game.

Mcknight, 5 games 15 targets. 3 per game.

Collaros put up 199 attempts in 7 games. For an average of 28.4 per game. Lawler has a considerable variance, early when we had WRs banged up he got highs of 12, 9, 8 and tied for his 4th highest game of 7. Vs 3 7 and 2 in the last 3 games with the starters all dressed. Darvin has been pretty high focus since he got healthy with 7 3 6 and 7 passes. 

TLDR, collaros will lock in on a guy only situationally. The wr core is depleted, a guy comes back into the line up, a guy is hot etc. But he mainly spreads the ball around very well. Collaros is about as cerebral as it gets for an aggressive down field passer who protects the ball well. 

Quarterbacks B+: Zach plays a safe game that plays perfectly with our D and our 2019 ST (if only we had that now). But if he's an A, what would we grade a QB who's throwing for 300/3 TDs? There's room for improvement.

Oline B: Generally, no complaints. Running game was very stagnant without Harris back there. Pre-season, I completely misjudged how much we would miss Harris. Thought JA and BO would be as, or more, effective. Completely wrong.

Running backs B-: Andrew, is a B+(he is slow but so effective). BO had one good game then got stuffed vs. Toronto. JA has not been used.

Receivers C+: Hard for me to judge the receiver too well. Lots of drops across the board. Demski has lifted the group, but wasn't available for most games.

Punters D - Bottom third in yards and net yards, lots of shanks and just crappy kicks mixed in. I do think Legs will get better as the season progresses though.

F - Just a fail.

D Line A

Linebackers B+

Defensive backs A

----> Don't have much to say about the D except, keep it going.

Special Teams coverage B

Special Teams Return D 

Defensive coaching A - Richie, where have you been all my life?

Offensive coaching B - You can tell he's settling in. 

Coach O'Shea B+ - I miss the Toronto special teams coach that had us on the edge of our seats with his bag of tricks. Could use it this year.