The state of our kicking game

TrueBlue4ever

So we have 3 options in camp right now. Pros and cons of each:

1. Liegghio - the anointed one coming into camp. Did not survive that coronation out of camp, thrust into the FG role out of injury.
Pros - he can punt, so not going anywhere yet (still think he is going to get one blocked and doesn’t follow through on his kicks), has a decent leg for FGs and came through with a 4/4 game and a game winner in the last minute in the one game our kicking truly mattered.  
Cons - misses the makeable ones, especially converts from the middle of the field. Seems to get under the ball too much and sky them at times. For a supposed strong leg, his kickoffs don’t get that deep.

Crapigna - brought in to camp to save the day. Then hurt with people calling for a replacement anyway

Pros - a veteran with a super high career average of 88%, so no worries about long term yips with him.

Cons - for all his success, all I remember of him is the times he choked in the clutch or rang one off the post. Coach doesn’t seem to trust him outside of 40 yards, and watching him kick there may be credence to that line of thinking. Dead leg?

Mourtada - the saviour as judged from his workout videos. Then we saw him live.

Pros - strongest leg of the bunch. Save for the 3rd miss, every kick was totally straight, so a mechanical alignment issue as opposed to a banana hook problem.

Cons - if the issue was simple mis-reading  of the right hash mark, why did it not get corrected in practice or after the first miss? 

So who stays, or do we blow it up and bring in another? For now, I keep Liegghio as punter and let him work on his kicking in practice. Give Mourtada one chance to correct his alignment, but you know the boo birds will eat him up at home with even one more miss, and his face and body language last night make me wonder if he can handle the rejection. Crapigna does not have the distance to compete I fear. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

Just go for it on every 3rd down instead of kicking from 35+ lol

In all seriousness though, I think Legghio may be good if he can get out of this slump. I would keep Crapigna too out of necessity despite his suckage, he is the best of a bad bunch, assuming his abilities remain the same post-injury.

I get having nerves, but last night Mourtada missed from areas that should be automatic... In a ghost town of a stadium. I can't imagine him kicking better on the road in a packed stadium, or dealing well with the weight of our own fanbase burdening him at home.

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I think you have to include Benson in this discussion... he is the common factor in all three kickers absolutely stinking up the joint...

So is McGuire if that's the route you want to go.

Haven't really noticed any issues with the snaps.  The hold is a little harder to see.

I have no interest in trying to teach an American who is obviously pretty deficient in Mourtada how to kick in a Canadian fall.  Yesterday was ideal conditions and he couldn't figure out how to get the ball 5 yards to the left.  What's he going to do in a 50 km/h wind?

If we're going to roll the dice, do it with Liegghio.

1 minute ago, Nolby said:

Is Lirum beyond out of the question? Our kicking is at the point where it's going to become critical with already half the season gone. Ill etransfer some funds to this GoFundMe for Medlock.

Lirim re-signed with Dallas less than a week ago so yes, at this time, he is out of the question.

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Sergio Castillo is supposedly available. We should bring him in. 

He's not on any roster. I wonder if he's an anti vaccine guy or if he's just fallen between the cracks. Seems unlikely as many teams have struggled with kicking and he's a beast. And he can punt too. But crazier things have happened. Better players have fallen between the cracks. 

He could also want top dollar. In that case I'd go over the cap and lose a first to get some one top tier in if that's what it requires. 

54 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He's not on any roster. I wonder if he's an anti vaccine guy or if he's just fallen between the cracks. Seems unlikely as many teams have struggled with kicking and he's a beast. And he can punt too. But crazier things have happened. Better players have fallen between the cracks. 

He could also want top dollar. In that case I'd go over the cap and lose a first to get some one top tier in if that's what it requires. 

From what I've heard,  in the FIFO era, Castillo is regarded as someone who can FO.

7 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Just go for it on every 3rd down instead of kicking from 35+ lol

In all seriousness though, I think Legghio may be good if he can get out of this slump. I would keep Crapigna too out of necessity despite his suckage, he is the best of a bad bunch, assuming his abilities remain the same post-injury.

I get having nerves, but last night Mourtada missed from areas that should be automatic... In a ghost town of a stadium. I can't imagine him kicking better on the road in a packed stadium, or dealing well with the weight of our own fanbase burdening him at home.

There is some truth to the bolded statement above. 

I think O'Shea has unintentionally made our kicking situation worse, mostly by treating our kickers as if they are Justin Medlock. I'd like to see us be more aggressive and go for it on third down rather than attempt long field goals (unless in obvious situations).  Pick the kicker that is going to hit the most frequently from 40 yards and in. Accept the lower percentage on the >40 yard kicks, but in other situations go for it. Working off memory here, but I think we had Mourtada attempt a 50 yarder on 3rd and 2. I'd rather leave the offense out. There is plenty of NFL data showing that teams should be more aggressive and fourth and short distance downs when on fringe opponent territory. I'd feel comfortable assuming it would apply to third and short distance downs in the CFL where offenses are even more favoured.

24 minutes ago, Captain Blue said:

There is some truth to the bolded statement above. 

I think O'Shea has unintentionally made our kicking situation worse, mostly by treating our kickers as if they are Justin Medlock. I'd like to see us be more aggressive and go for it on third down rather than attempt long field goals (unless in obvious situations).  Pick the kicker that is going to hit the most frequently from 40 yards and in. Accept the lower percentage on the >40 yard kicks, but in other situations go for it. Working off memory here, but I think we had Mourtada attempt a 50 yarder on 3rd and 2. I'd rather leave the offense out. There is plenty of NFL data showing that teams should be more aggressive and fourth and short distance downs when on fringe opponent territory. I'd feel comfortable assuming it would apply to third and short distance downs in the CFL where offenses are even more favoured.

The problem with this approach is what people were complaining about in weeks 1 and 2. If we are on the 35 yard line and it’s 3rd and 5, 6, or 7 etc. as opposed to 3rd and 2, going for it is not really an option. And punting rather than banking points is a recipe for failure. Kickers today need to be able to go out and make 50+ yarders from time to time rather than conceding that they can’t reach this distance. The 3rd and 2 scenario from makeable range has not been as common as the 3rd and long from makeable distance this year. O’Shea has agreed that trotting out his kicker to try a 50 yarder is not always best, but conceding the 40-45 yard try is my worry. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

20 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The 3rd and 2 scenario from makeable range has not been as common as the 3rd and long from makeable distance this year.

Honestly, this year I have found it much more palatable to consider our 45+ field goal attempts as just really long punts that might be worth three points.

We haven't been burnt on a missed FG return yet, but honestly it is only a matter of time till that happens. It just makes it that much harder on the coverage team.