"Week Of" Thread - Bombers @ Elks (Week 7)

Noeller

Lirim came at a time when all we had was field goals. The crowd got on him hard. I heard a bit of it last week but not as bad as Lirim.

I still have the picture I took of Lirim standing there, all alone on the sidelines. He was so isolated. No one came near him. Same for Liegghio on Saturday  The only difference, was that Nelson was half way between him and the rest of the team. He too was out in the dog house, watching as the Bombers elected to take it on 35 after the Riders got a FG. 

zpG1O9GtuFBV051VLdrpkaI2r41R13Aa9evX7kN8

Just now, JCon said:

Lirim came at a time when all we had was field goals. The crowd got on him hard. I heard a bit of it last week but not as bad as Lirim.

I still have the picture I took of Lirim standing there, all alone on the sidelines. He was so isolated. No one came near him. Same for Liegghio on Saturday  The only difference, was that Nelson was half way between him and the rest of the team. He too was out in the dog house, watching as the Bombers elected to take it on 35 after the Riders got a FG. 

zpG1O9GtuFBV051VLdrpkaI2r41R13Aa9evX7kN8

Kickers are almost always like that. Especially if they kick and punt. They are a strange breed. 

You just cant keep a kicker at sub westwood levels of accuracy in modern football. Sure, they might bounce back. And a QB who plays the whole year and complete 40% of his passes with 2-3 picks a game might improve. But you cant keep starting them. Thats how you end up with a westwood kicker. Just because a guy can improve doesnt mean he will and some times, getting cut and a change of scenery is what guys need. 

We never really saw enough of Brian Bennett to see all he could do. Should we bench zach and bring him back? People around here are quick to say our WRs arent good enough. But this kicker whose doin real bad lets stick that out. If youre an out of the run team it doesnt hurt to keep a struggling young player out there. If youre a contender it does. And legs isnt getting cut. 

21 hours ago, GCJenks said:

Heard an interview with the new kicker this afternoon. According to him he can hit 60yard field goals on a calm day and 75 yard kick offs but knows those need to be more directional so likely just under 70. Not sure if I found his self assessment assuring or brashly cocky. 

I could hit from 60, but only once.

On 2021-09-14 at 3:26 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

One thing about Justin Medlock. Yeah, he had a few stinkers with us missing makeable FG's. But he never dwelled on it. He had the mental toughness to throw the misses aside & just completely focus on the next kick. He knew he'd make it. His sense of self belief was strong. 

Yeah and he flunked out of the NFL for missing some kicks too.

Kickers and goalies.  Gotta be patient and sometimes willing to pull a guy off the scrap heap who's maybe turned the mental corner.

3 hours ago, bb1 said:

Funny thing when Lirim was here he had one bad year and some Posters were ready to hang him too,luckily for him he moved on stayed mentally strong and became a consistent kicker. I even remember Bob Cameron almost not making it, only the best punter in the wind ever. We gotta have patience with these young kickers....

For sure completely agree. The big however is whether we like it or not some of that patience is dictated by our won loss record, especially at the placekicker position, so that’s presently working in his favour.

6 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Yeah and he flunked out of the NFL for missing some kicks too.

Kickers and goalies.  Gotta be patient and sometimes willing to pull a guy off the scrap heap who's maybe turned the mental corner.

Nobody knew who Tony Esposito was when he played for the Canadiens. 

33 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

same here. hope no Bombers coaches, players or personnel gets the virus on this trip to Alberta.

They'll be fine. 

Yep, I was one of those fans that wanted Hajrullahu cut & he was replaced by Justin Medlock. I'll give Lirim a lot of credit. That last Bomber game hje played & the negative reaction by fans & media afterward might have destroyed his career. But Lirim became mentally strong & endured. I think that bad experience helped him develop into a very good kicker. He learned from it & is now as mentally tough a kicker as anyone out there. He strongly believes in himself as no one else will. Just like Medlock, Lirim can put the misses behind him & just concentrate on making the next kick. 

9 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

same here. hope no Bombers coaches, players or personnel gets the virus on this trip to Alberta.

I think there's a lot of protocol in place for everyone on the road. Don't leave the hotel room except to go to the stadium. Strictly a business trip...go there, take care of business, come home. As Al said, they'll be fine. 

WINNIPEG SURGING

• This week, the Bombers head to Edmonton looking to improve to 6-1 on the season – a feat they have not achieved since 2011 when they started the season 7-1 and reached the Grey Cup. Prior to that, they reached the mark in 1984 when they won the Grey Cup.
  • This season, Winnipeg has scored the most points (136) and allowed the fewest points (76) for a +60-point differential.
  • Winnipeg leads the league in several key categories so far this season:
    • Points allowed (12.7 per game)
    • Touchdowns scored (16)
    • Touchdowns allowed (6)
    • Turnover ratio (+12)
    • 2-and-outs forced (32)
    • Turnovers forced (17)
    • 30+ yard completions (12)
    • Lowest passing efficiently (73.7)
  • 12.7 points allowed per game is the fewest since 1966 (Ottawa with 12.6). Winnipeg’s team record was set in 1958 (11.4) during a season in which they finished 13-3.
  • In the fourth quarter this year, the Bombers have allowed a total of three points.
  • Bombers receiver Kenny Lawler leads the league with 15-second down-conversion receptions, accounting for 47 per cent of his catches.
  • Zach Collaros is tied for the league-lead with nine touchdown passes.
  • Mike Miller has had multiple special teams tackles in each game this year and stands at a total of 15 to lead the league.
  • Jackson Jeffcoat is tied for the league lead with five sacks and leads the league with four forced fumbles.

https://www.cfl.ca/2021/09/16/cfl-ca-game-notes-look-week-7-4/

Edited by M.O.A.B.

Couple of quick thoughts:

While it would be nice to have Leggs do all the kicking, and have an open spot for another player to fill, I completely agree that we should let him concentrate on the punting, and have someone else do the place-kicking ( Mourtada ).

I like our chances very much in Edmonton this week. Not too worried about covid for them, just follow the damn rules and they'll be fine!!

If we can get big Stove into the line-up this week look out Elks. 

4 minutes ago, ddanger said:

Couple of quick thoughts:

While it would be nice to have Leggs do all the kicking, and have an open spot for another player to fill, I completely agree that we should let him concentrate on the punting, and have someone else do the place-kicking ( Mourtada ).

I like our chances very much in Edmonton this week. Not too worried about covid for them, just follow the damn rules and they'll be fine!!

If we can get big Stove into the line-up this week look out Elks. 

That depends on what Mourtada shows in practice (obviously).  His lifetime stats are not good and certainly not as good as Legghio's.

Tough spot we're in on the placekicking side of things...