"Week Of" Thread - Bombers @ Elks (Week 7)

Noeller

Just now, MOBomberFan said:

I guess I'm optimistic that even a rusty 35 year old former All-Star and MOL could only be better than either of those American tackles they're trying out. Renfrow was part of that awful 2019 BC Oline and Wesley is not looking like the NFL caliber tackle he was supposed to be. Whatever the case, I suspect the Jeffs will be running circles around whoever they trot out

True, they are both brutal, but that whole line is. SVR or no I expect our boys to feast and give harris alot to pout about. 

12 minutes ago, Noeller said:

All I want is someone who can make 80%+ from 40 yards. 75% from 45.... The kid will get there one day but it's probably too much too soon, right now. 

That's what I am saying. I don't need someone kicking 55+ through the back of the endzone. It was great having Medlock, but he is maybe the best to ever do it, we got spoiled.

Just hit the stuff you should hit. Parades has made a career out of it. 

45 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

Heard an interview with the new kicker this afternoon. According to him he can hit 60yard field goals on a calm day and 75 yard kick offs but knows those need to be more directional so likely just under 70. Not sure if I found his self assessment assuring or brashly cocky. 

I heard Leggs had a monster accurate leg.

Prove it. I don't care if he kicks it out the stadium if it isn't accurate. 

It's all mental with Leggs right now...dude has the leg to make consistent long kicks...he just needs to get his head right and get confidence....hopefully if he gets supplanted next game it doesn't really get in his head.....I hope we wait till after the break, and see if he rebounds again in Edm

Just now, Booch said:

It's all mental with Leggs right now...dude has the leg to make consistent long kicks...he just needs to get his head right and get confidence....hopefully if he gets supplanted next game it doesn't really get in his head.....I hope we wait till after the break, and see if he rebounds again in Edm

Some road games and staying off social media would do wonders. Fans here can be pretty ruthless when less than perfection is delivered. 

17 minutes ago, Mike said:

I mean … less than perfection is a pretty generous way to describe his kicking so far 

Wonder when the last time we had 2 missed converts missed a field goal and had an illegal kick off was. 

But to be fair I didnt get the long field goal attempt into that awful swirling wind. And no way we shouldve kicked the ball deep from the 55. That shouldve been an onside kick, or onside squib kick. 

I have no doubt that legs isnt hearing any thing any media or social media is saying about his performance. His own regrets would be what ring out loudest. No one wants to have a performance like that. Its hard for kickers to stay out of their own head at the best of times. 

They arent giving up on him any time soon. Im sure he will have a chance to win back the kicking job later in the season or in TC next year at the worst. Trying to take on all 3 roles as a true rookie is  nuts. 

5 hours ago, Mike said:

I mean … less than perfection is a pretty generous way to describe his kicking so far 

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

missed three converts in two games. Three.

That is not just a smidge under perfection.

Very true. Also true that the wolves were howling before the first convert was missed. There’s a post begging for Lirim to get picked up before the Calgary game, and on the game day threads going back to Calgary, one miss and fans are yelling for him to be axed. It’s not like fans were very tolerant of his “less than perfection” before it became full-blown shank-itis. 

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

missed three converts in two games. Three.

That is not just a smidge under perfection.

I think ppl are unfairly comparing his record for PATs with prior kickers before it was moved back to the 35.

Besides... Other teams are having struggles kicking too... Look what happened to HAM last week.

28 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

I think ppl are unfairly comparing his record for PATs with prior kickers before it was moved back to the 35.

Besides... Other teams are having struggles kicking too... Look what happened to HAM last week.

We have the 2nd worst FG % in the league. Hamilton is the only team with a worse fg% than us. BC who started for two weeks the worst kicker in the league, is 3 spots ahead of us.

Yamasaki in BC 2 weeks 4/8 fgs 1/2 xpt.

legs 2 games 1/4 in fgs and 5/8 for the year on xpts.

To further put that into context Crappy was 3/5 and 7/7.

Domagala is 6/8 on the season. Paredes, lauther, whyte, ward, bede, cote and camacho have 1 miss in a combined 54 attempts. in the entire 19 season, medlock missed 1, whyte missed 2, lirim missed 2, paredes missed 1, ward missed 2, castillo missed 2, lauther missed 4, crappy missed 1, and bede missed 2. Missing 3 in 3 games is bad. 

Tldr our fg/XPT this year might not be the the worst in the league, but it is solidly in the very bottom tier.  I dont think any un fair comparisons are being made. I could tear into his net yards punting, kick offs and regular shanks too. The kid needs to be taken off the burner and given limited duties for a bit. You just cant be below the westwood line in kicking during the modern era. 

Edited by wbbfan

11 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Imo I think setting the expectation that converts should be automatic for a place kicker outside of one's control (bad snap, bad hold, bad block, weather conditions etc) is a fair expectation. There are set expectations for all positions. 

Btw, as I've said numerous times, I do feel bad for him, I hope he turns this around and has a nice long CFL career.

Just now, HardCoreBlue said:

Imo I think setting the expectation that converts should be automatic for a place kicker outside of one's control (bad snap, bad hold, bad block, weather conditions etc) is a fair expectation. There are set expectations for all positions. 

Btw, as I've said numerous times, I do feel bad for him, I hope he turns this around and has a nice long CFL career.

You can complete a 5 yard pass at a 70% rate in the cfl. Kicking at 100% for 1 point instead is questionable but understandable. At 75-80% it makes no sense to kick it. 

2 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned somewhere already... but according to Ted Wyman on the Wpg Sports Talk podcast, the Bombers have, in fact, had conversations with Justin Medlock about returning... but it sounds like Medlock is not interested at this time...  

Glad they are tryin. Maybe in the back half. Or the play off push. 

Funny thing when Lirim was here he had one bad year and some Posters were ready to hang him too,luckily for him he moved on stayed mentally strong and became a consistent kicker. I even remember Bob Cameron almost not making it, only the best punter in the wind ever. We gotta have patience with these young kickers....