Obscure moments and players in Bombers history

Arnold_Palmer

8 hours ago, johnzo said:

Jim Zorn,  another weird Bomber QB story.  Signed after an illustrious NFL career when Tom Clements was hurt in 1986, we wound up not needing him much because Hufnagel got on a roll.  Zorn did replace Cameron as Kennard's holder, he was a top-flight holder apparently. When he did get some playing time, in the garbage fire of the 1986 final vs. BC, he struggled mightily.

I think, on paper, we still had a pretty stout team that year. Probably the last decent season for many from the 84 Cup.

10 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I listened to Matt Dunigan throw for 700 yards - while picking saskatoons. 

similarly, I have vivid memories of exactly where I was at Big Whiteshell Lake Campground during the game where Cal was off after his heart attack and awaiting the transplant. 

13 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

So no takers for the quiz. Answers - 

1. 3 of them were defensive TDs, 2 on interception returns and one fumble recovery in the end zone. He also had a punt return TD. 

2. So with 2 INT return TDs, he had……….exactly zero interceptions. Both returns were laterals from other players’ interceptions. 

3. That year he had 4 TDs in total. All in that game, no other scores the rest of the year. And the same answer for career defensive TDs. 3 in that game, none for the rest of his CFL career. 

Jefferson did have an interception in the game but he was tackled after a return of 4 yards.

He scored his TDs on interceptions by Bennett & Battle.

Hailey also had an interception in the game.

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

at Big Whiteshell Lake Campground

I

my family went to big whiteshell lake in the early sixties.....  I was a child.... not one cottage on the lake.  except big whiteshell lodge.  and boy scout camp. stayed at a private resort that had no road, ( and no running water or electricity) refrigeration was ice, that the owner cut out of the lake. big icehouse full of wood shavings. picked us up in a boat. I went fishing down the little whiteshell river to I think it  was called loon lake. caught jackfish.

wilderness.

amazing place in those days. I loved being there.

Edited by Mark F

13 minutes ago, Goldkobra said:

I always liked Ron Warner paired up with Doug Brown.  Anyone else remember when Stanford Samuels used to post on OB.com?

SammySam........ told us about the big win in 04 (05?) over Montreal when we started the season 0-4, and then had to face Montreal.... he told us we were going to win, and how they'd been prepping for it. Sure enough....what a game. Milt Miracle late in that one....huge game for Charlie....defense with a scoop and score early in it (Willie Fells?).....

7 minutes ago, Goldkobra said:

I always liked Ron Warner paired up with Doug Brown.  Anyone else remember when Stanford Samuels used to post on OB.com?

Warner 1.0 was a beast at end. Warner in 06 with brown was solid. Guy came back too big. Like 285 lbs. Its too bad brown, warner, and denny fortney didnt play together. Thatd be a pretty good fight vs this dl. 

10 minutes ago, Goldkobra said:

s2 was pretty good. K9 wouldve been a lot better if he didnt become kamau incompletterson here. Ryland wickmans dad was cool. Didnt we have some ones mom at one point too? I dont think that one ended well lol. 

51 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Warner 1.0 was a beast at end. Warner in 06 with brown was solid. Guy came back too big. Like 285 lbs. Its too bad brown, warner, and denny fortney didnt play together. Thatd be a pretty good fight vs this dl. 

s2 was pretty good. K9 wouldve been a lot better if he didnt become kamau incompletterson here. Ryland wickmans dad was cool. Didnt we have some ones mom at one point too? I dont think that one ended well lol. 

Haha yes I remember when Kamau Pettersson posted here. I remember thinking he thought he was better then he really was. Ended up being really good for Edmonton but was absolutely dog do do in Winnipeg. He couldn’t catch a football. 

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

I

my family went to big whiteshell lake in the early sixties.....  I was a child.... not one cottage on the lake.  except big whiteshell lodge.  and boy scout camp. stayed at a private resort that had no road, ( and no running water or electricity) refrigeration was ice, that the owner cut out of the lake. big icehouse full of wood shavings. picked us up in a boat. I went fishing down the little whiteshell river to I think it  was called loon lake. caught jackfish.

wilderness.

amazing place in those days. I loved being there.

That would be Lone Island lake you went to. I have a bunch of cabins on Green Lake just across from the Big Whiteshell North Landing. Been over to the Boy Scouts camp a lot. Still a great place to come out to!

13 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

That would be Lone Island lake you went to. I have a bunch of cabins on Green Lake just across from the Big Whiteshell North Landing. Been over to the Boy Scouts camp a lot. Still a great place to come out to!

We drove past Green Lake on our way to rent a boat from the lodge.... How's the fishing in there? The view was spectacular. I bet cottages there don't come up for sale often.... 

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

We drove past Green Lake on our way to rent a boat from the lodge.... How's the fishing in there? The view was spectacular. I bet cottages there don't come up for sale often.... 

Fishing isn’t great. Pike and perch only. The lake used to be like 8’ deeper but they punched a road through on the north side years ago and it drained the lake a lot. Great view though! There are our cabins (St. John Sportsmen’s) and 3 other on the lake that’s it. Very quiet!

25 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

not really possble to explan what the shield is like to people who have not been there.

40 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Haha yes I remember when Kamau Pettersson posted here. I remember thinking he thought he was better then he really was. Ended up being really good for Edmonton but was absolutely dog do do in Winnipeg. He couldn’t catch a football. 

He actually reminded me a lot of jamie stoddard to talk with but yeah he had no lack of confidence. Atleast until the drops struck. 

Geoff drover though, I always thought he was a good guy. And the couple games he played DB for us he actually played pretty well. 

That also reminds me of eric wilson playing both ways for us. That guy was a beast. 

7 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

That also reminds me of eric wilson playing both ways for us. That guy was a beast. 

...who was occasionally caught on camera with a cigar in his yap. Not a cigarello or some hipster smoke. A bigass, bonafide, bite the tip off and spit it on the floor- stogie.

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

He actually reminded me a lot of jamie stoddard to talk with but yeah he had no lack of confidence. Atleast until the drops struck. 

Geoff drover though, I always thought he was a good guy. And the couple games he played DB for us he actually played pretty well. 

Jamie Stoddard mention alert. Some long time members of this forum:

200.gif

Edited by Super Duper Negatron

21 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Jamie Stoddard mention alert. Some long time members of this forum:

200.gif

Is anyone else getting Jamie Stoddard-in-training vibes from Wolitarsky yet? Looks to have more physical talent and speed, but the numbers so far are disappointingly similar. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

On 2021-09-14 at 8:37 AM, Super Duper Negatron said:

My second favourite is Bobby Gordon catching a pass over the middle, getting absolutely wrecked, knocked out cold, and still hanging onto the ball.

That was the first game after 9/11 vs Edmonton. IIRC it was played on a Monday night. One of the most intense regular season games I’ve seen live. 

31 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

That was the first game after 9/11 vs Edmonton. IIRC it was played on a Monday night. One of the most intense regular season games I’ve seen live. 

Arland Bruce dragged two Eskimos about 30 yards for a touchdown I will always remember that play.

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Drover was bad at db. Shudder and recall the game in 05 with Drover and Howell at db where Maas completed 25 passes in a row.

Two wrs at db and Maas cut us up that doesn't make drover bad. He'd a been a solid back up s. 

44 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

A couple of the teams that lost that week complained that it was too soon to go back for weeks. Was pretty sad.  

Remember wade Miller going off sides on purpose because out side of the 3m warning they just kept restarting the game clock lol. He killed like half a 3rd quarter into the wind. The next week they adjusted it when he tried it again and stopped the clock til the snap. 

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

Arland Bruce dragged two Eskimos about 30 yards for a touchdown I will always remember that play.

Speaking of Arland Bruce, one my my favourite memories was a game vs. The stamps where they got behind and everyone headed for the exits only for khari and Bruce to connect a few times for the comeback and everyone was pressed up against the gates trying to see what they walked out on. 

38 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Speaking of Arland Bruce, one my my favourite memories was a game vs. The stamps where they got behind and everyone headed for the exits only for khari and Bruce to connect a few times for the comeback and everyone was pressed up against the gates trying to see what they walked out on. 

Stayed, kept the faith, rewarded with an epic W