Obscure moments and players in Bombers history

Arnold_Palmer

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

For me, one of the biggest plays I remember

speed, what was the play against calgary where they were kicking it back and forth at the end of the game, I think a single wins it for one or the other?

western final or semi final..... 

damn, cant remember the players names... super exciting.

edit.... Harvey Wylie was calgarymguy booting it out of the  end zone

feel better @Noeller?  😅

back later got to go have my nap.

Edited by Mark F

59 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Fave obscure bomber: QB Jay Walker.  He got a single start in the garbage time of the Reinebold era (JR was already gone but you know what I mean) and it was a work of art, the best QB play we'd seen in years.  After that he wanted to be paid like a CFL starter, the bombers balked, he did not re-sign, and Kerwin Bell was our QB the next year. 

Always wondered what would have been with Jay Walker at QB in 1999.

Also from the Reinebold era - 1 game wonder (1 half wonder is more accurate)  Troy Kopp!

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

speed, what was the play against calgary where they were kicking it back and forth at the end of the game, I think a single wins it for one or the other?

feel better @Noeller?  😅

Further to S.Flex - What was the "Bomberooski" play? Wasn't it also what Mark is describing above or was it related to a dropkick?

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Sounds like MBT..... Wonder if Bell was a lunatic, too... 

Bell was odd. Met him a few times always understated and that southern Dixie golly shucks Mr thing. But he's had a real good coaching career. Actually reminds me of Dave Ritchie as a coach. 

Imo the most over rated qb ever. No matter what he always got done less than you needed. Even in good games. But guys like that and Dinwiddie etc qbs that didnt work out make the best ocs a lot of the time. 

11 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Bombers down 32-14 with 9 minutes left in the fourth. Alex Brinks gets the start and does nothing all game long. Jyles comes in and looks like a bonfide super star; we come back to force over time, Deon Beasley intercepts Casey printers for a pick six in over time and does a front flip into the end zone! Possibly the greatest game I ever attended. I remember my buddies wanted to leave when BC scored to make it 32-14. I convinced them to stay and the rest is history!

Remember this game?!?!? At the time, my mom and dad had their own tickets, as well as my dad's work had a pair of company seats. Most of the time the company seats went for schmoozing potential clients and stuff. However my dad had said I could have 'em. I was pumped because they were pretty good seats (40 yard line, right behind the away team - close enough when there was a big hit you could hear it). Game day comes - get a call from Pops - someone's in town... no dice on game tickets. I was super disappointed, had rearranged shifts at work and stuff for it. Being the nice guy my dad was, he bought me a pair of tickets to the game anyways (tbh, looking back, I could've done that myself, but for some reason as a kid I always thought Bomber games were more expensive than they were). So - we were in! Took my then - girlfriend at the time - it was looking to be a stinker, but I convinced her to stay and boy was it a good one.

I will never forget the stadium announcer - "For those of you joining us from the parking lot..." place went absolutely bonkers, especially when the comeback was on. Fast forward to now - we are married and have happily been season ticket holders since 2011. At games, we always stay right to the bitter end, because it's the CFL and you never know.

TLDR; Yes, yes I do remember that game.

6 hours ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

How about Punter Duncan O’Mahony who signed with the Bombers in 2006. Made his flight to Calgary but then disappeared and never attended camp. Was released. Signed with Calgary in 2007 but was traded to Edmonton and released. Signed by Winnipeg again but broke his toe in the middle of the night in his hotel room forcing the Bombers to start Serna. I dont think he ever kicked a ball for the Bombers but has a GC ring with Calgary as a rookie lol

Adding to the ridiculousness of this is the fact that his Wikipedia page currently lists him as a free agent lol. Dude is 45.

Not one that really anyone else would know, but years ago I worked at Shaw, and near the end of camp had a player who had just made the team call up to get services installed because he was just told he made the team. I want to say his name was Bryan Guebert or something like that? I think he mostly played on special teams for one, maybe two years.

Hope that moment is obscure enough for you!

8 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Here’s another one for the older crowd. James Jefferson (I think before he added “the 3rd” to his name) holds an astounding CFL record from 1987 when he scored four touchdowns in a game, a record unlikely to ever be broken by a defensive player. Some trivia questions surrounding this feat. Without looking it up:

1. How many of the TDs were “defensive” touchdowns?

2. How many interceptions did he have that day?

3. How many touchdowns did he have that season in total, and how many defensive TDs did he score in his CFL career?

So no takers for the quiz. Answers - 

1. 3 of them were defensive TDs, 2 on interception returns and one fumble recovery in the end zone. He also had a punt return TD. 

2. So with 2 INT return TDs, he had……….exactly zero interceptions. Both returns were laterals from other players’ interceptions. 

3. That year he had 4 TDs in total. All in that game, no other scores the rest of the year. And the same answer for career defensive TDs. 3 in that game, none for the rest of his CFL career. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

Jim Zorn,  another weird Bomber QB story.  Signed after an illustrious NFL career when Tom Clements was hurt in 1986, we wound up not needing him much because Hufnagel got on a roll.  Zorn did replace Cameron as Kennard's holder, he was a top-flight holder apparently. When he did get some playing time, in the garbage fire of the 1986 final vs. BC, he struggled mightily.

My favorite part of this story is the part that someone here on MBB told me after I spotted a Zorn jersey in the stands, apparently he still has friends in Winnipeg.  gotta love this league.

Steve Pelleur was another NFL guy who showed up briefly in 1995, after three years out of football (!)  He got hurt and that was the end of his career.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Bell was odd.  Imo the most over rated qb ever.

overrated?  who is out there pumping Kerwin Bell's tires?  Does anyone have fond memories of a Bell game?  Did any of those garbage time flurries turn into garbage time miracles?

4 hours ago, Mark F said:

feel better @Noeller?  😅

The 1962 Western Final Game 3 at McMahon Stadium. Best of 3 series tied at 1 game a piece. On the last play of the game & trailing 7-6 the Bombers attempted a 17 yard FG by Gerry James. The attempt was partially blocked & fbounced into the end zone. calgary returner Harvey Wylie elected to kick the ball out of the end zone & it was blocked by Farrell Funston who fell on it for the touchdown & a 12-6 win. The LAST PLAY of the game!!!

20 hours ago, Noeller said:

"remember this game?" It was only 10 years ago and was a pretty famous game for the WBB FC. I'd love to see some more obscure stuff for this thread...

How about that time there was a thunderstorm delay for like 2 hours against the Ti-Cats and then when they finally came out to play we absolutely spanked them

https://www.cfl.ca/2016/08/04/recap-winnipeg-37-hamilton-11/

Edited by Eternal optimist
adding highlights

9 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Adding to the ridiculousness of this is the fact that his Wikipedia page currently lists him as a free agent lol. Dude is 45.

This is what happens when ever a player doesnt officially retire. They remain on the pending retirement FA list forever. Most of those guys still have pages on cfl.ca too.

8 hours ago, johnzo said:

Jim Zorn,  another weird Bomber QB story.  Signed after an illustrious NFL career when Tom Clements was hurt in 1986, we wound up not needing him much because Hufnagel got on a roll.  Zorn did replace Cameron as Kennard's holder, he was a top-flight holder apparently. When he did get some playing time, in the garbage fire of the 1986 final vs. BC, he struggled mightily.

My favorite part of this story is the part that someone here on MBB told me after I spotted a Zorn jersey in the stands, apparently he still has friends in Winnipeg.  gotta love this league.

Steve Pelleur was another NFL guy who showed up briefly in 1995, after three years out of football (!)  He got hurt and that was the end of his career.

overrated?  who is out there pumping Kerwin Bell's tires?  Does anyone have fond memories of a Bell game?  Did any of those garbage time flurries turn into garbage time miracles?

As in bell was supposed to be the savior of the franchise. Even around the league back then media thought it was the teams fault not his cus he was putting up numbers.