Obscure moments and players in Bombers history

Arnold_Palmer

How about Punter Duncan O’Mahony who signed with the Bombers in 2006. Made his flight to Calgary but then disappeared and never attended camp. Was released. Signed with Calgary in 2007 but was traded to Edmonton and released. Signed by Winnipeg again but broke his toe in the middle of the night in his hotel room forcing the Bombers to start Serna. I dont think he ever kicked a ball for the Bombers but has a GC ring with Calgary as a rookie lol

1 hour ago, WinnipegGordo said:

One of the more obscure Bomber moments actually involves Roberts. I was at the first practice after the team signed Onterrio Smith.

There was a lot of hype over Smith so the media wanted to get a few words from Blink after practice. Well, I guess Blink was pissed over the signing as he ran away from the media scrum and hid under the old grand stands at Canad Inns.

Smith never recovered for an injury and was cut a short time later. Not sure what Roberts would have done if Smith ended up actually suiting up for the team.

Thats odd, because as I recall they were friends and knew each other casually as smith I believe was training or moved to sac town at one point. They talked alot about split back formations and running things like they did with mike sellers. Blink had issues sharing the touches with mills and blount, who were average at best but I never heard of any issues with him sharing the rock with sellers. 

Smith came in way out of shape. Like 35 pounds heavy iirc. 

57 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Another obscure moment was when we traded Canada for Zeke Moreno, only for Canada to reveal he was injured, allowing us to keep both. I can't remember who we sent instead...

It was the rights to our first round pick that year, corey mace. 

54 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Who else watched the Pacman Jones video after it was announced he was going to sign with the team?

Im still waiting for him to score 2 touchdowns a game for the Bombers.

xD. Remember when we added the neg list rights to Brock Lesnar after he was the last cut by the vikings? HIs pro day with the vikings was bananas. Still one of the most athletic bigs ive ever seen. If he had dedicated to 1 sport he couldve been insane. 

For me, one of the biggest plays I remember was the third game of the 1965 Western Final in Calgary. Ploen threw a 109 yard TD pass to Flanker Ken Nielsen. The TD won the series for the Bombers & they went to the Grey Cup that year but didn't win. What a ballsy play from a Head Coach who was known as a conservative coach & not a risk taker. Which served Bud Grant well in his coaching career in Winnipeg.

2 hours ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

This was my first game at Canad Inns! I was out visiting from Ontario and got a chance to go. I was always a CFL fan but this was the game that made me a Bomber Fan. After moving out to MB in 05 I got season tickets that year and have had them since. 

Glad Westwood made someone a bomber fan. Offsets all those times he made me hate being a bomber fan

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah he did not move like a big man. I remember with washington a player where he hurdled a DB after a great stiff arm. His quick feet where a huge part of his success. One of my favorite short term bombers to watch. 

Also a great hit from sellers was vs detroit he murdered a S who was a pretty good hitter him self. 

My most lasting memory of Bigg Mike was playing against Toronto where he broke through to the DB level and it was just him and Orlando Steinauer. You could tell Steinauer was like "oh ****" with 270lbs of man-meat coming at him full speed. And ofcourse he goes for the legs cause thats all you can do as a 170lbs DB. Sure enough Sellers hurdles him like a b**** and Steinauer doesnt even lay a finger on him. Man watching Sellers was fun.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

Just now, Bubba Zanetti said:

My most lasting memory of Bigg Mike was playing against Toronto where he broke through to the DB level and it was just him and Orlando Steinauer. You could tell Steinauer was like "oh ****" with 270lbs of man-meat coming at him full speed. And ofcourse he goes for the legs cause thats all you can do as a 170lbs DB. Sure enough Sellers hurdles him like a b**** and Steinauer doesnt even lay a finger on him. Man watching Sellers was fun.

Ever since sellers went back to the NFL, Ive waited for sellers 2.0. Each year im disappointed. 

Just now, Bubba Zanetti said:

Me too 😥. I remember a quote from him saying he was coming back when his NFL days were over. Mike where are you??

Right? Soo much. I remember him finally being done in washington and getting a look from philly in 2012(?) and waiting for the ticker to say he signed here. Heck I bet he could still block and play special teams like a MFer. 

He was really a head of his time, the flex TE is starting to push to involve every thing he did for us soo long ago.

A guy like flex te bucky hodges. He had a solid career at virginia tech. Bounced around the NFL but didnt get much of a shot. 6'6 260 and crazy, crazy athletic. 40 inch vert, massive broad jump 4.5 speed. And he was originally a dual threat QB, he can run the rock and do all kinds of things. Had a cup of coffee in the XFL but hes sittin at home. There are a TON of guys like that sitting around. If they were DEs half the cfl would have them on the NL on skill set alone. 

But thats OT. Remember Tony Ortiz? Mr TC / pre season MODP. I swear he was up here in camp 4 times. I think he broke camp once but didnt do much. 

Fave obscure bomber: QB Jay Walker.  He got a single start in the garbage time of the Reinebold era (JR was already gone but you know what I mean) and it was a work of art, the best QB play we'd seen in years.  After that he wanted to be paid like a CFL starter, the bombers balked, he did not re-sign, and Kerwin Bell was our QB the next year. 

Always wondered what would have been with Jay Walker at QB in 1999.

1 minute ago, johnzo said:

Fave obscure bomber: QB Jay Walker.  He got a single start in the garbage time of the Reinebold era (JR was already gone but you know what I mean) and it was a work of art, the best QB play we'd seen in years.  After that he wanted to be paid like a CFL starter, the bombers balked, he did not re-sign, and Kerwin Bell was our QB the next year. 

Always wondered what would have been with Jay Walker at QB in 1999.

I remember that! Could this be him? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Walker_(legislator)

27 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I remember watching Walker look great in the final home game versus Toronto that year.

I did not want Kerwin Bell. Speaking of which, dude throw for 5000 yards in 99 but I'd bet 3500 of it was from games in the 4th when we were down 20. So many games of 120 yards passing through 3 Q but 300+ at the end.

Sounds like MBT..... Wonder if Bell was a lunatic, too...