Obscure moments and players in Bombers history

Arnold_Palmer

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

What about that game the bombers had over 300 rushing yards against BC? Fred Reid had well over 200 and I can’t remember who our back up runningback was but he had over a 100 too. That was a fun game. 

Yup that was 2009 against BC. 260 yards rushing which was a Bomber record and he would have had a CFL record and only needed 288 but Mike Kelly put him back on the field after only 2 plays and he had to wait three plays to be eligible (was injured on a play). He went it got the record and it was called back because he got a penalty for going back in.  

something like that!

4 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Yup that was 2009 against BC. 260 yards rushing which was a Bomber record and he would have had a CFL record and only needed 288 but Mike Kelly put him back on the field after only 2 plays and he had to wait three plays to be eligible (was injured on a play). He went it got the record and it was called back because he got a penalty for going back in.  

something like that!

I completely forgot about that. That’s true. He got a lot of flack for that. 

20 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

TIL everyone on this forum is exactly the same age.

I was actually thinking that there are WAY too many ******* kids on this site...... "remember 2010??!!" gtfo.......I'm feeling more and more like Iso and KBF every day. ******* kids....

26 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Another good game I was at was in 2011. We were playing Montreal for first place in the east and it was something like the 6th straight sell out. I remember it was so loud and the defense beat the **** out of Anthony Calvillo. They were relentless. We ended up scraping out a 1 point win to get first in the east and I remember after the game we ran into Anthony Calvillo at original Joe’s and even got a picture with him! Nice guy. 

fun fact - that was the first time since their return that the Jets had a game on the same day as the Bombers. A couple of us made a roadie from Alberta back home for that weekend. Got tix to the Bombers game where we beat Montreal to take over 1st place in the East, and then we headed over to that "4-Play" sports bar across from MTSC and watched Chris Mason shut out the Canes that night for a big Jets win. A marching band from the UofM was going through the bar playing songs....it was just unreal. What a ******* weekend we had.....hoooooooweeeeeeeeeeeeee. They're still scraping 17to85's puke off of Broadway.......... ;)

2 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Westy kicking a 55 yard fg at the buzzer to beat the Riders way back in 2003.

One of those games I know exactly where I was when it happened. Was rooming with a Gapper at that time, working my first gig up in Dauphin, and we were listening to it on the radio (wasn't televised).....I was ecstatic. Roomie.....not so much. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

I remember a guy.. the best player to possibly never play a game for the Bombers that mattered... online legend... Duane Slay 

A true obscure reference 

Bloi Di Dorzon 

Now a very successful chef. 

My boy, 2016 draft pick, 6'5", 327 lb. Rupert Butcher. Dominant in the one-on-one competition at the CFL combine and then....

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Omg yes. And that if kenton keith got as many carries as blink he'd put up way more yards. That him and holmes were both better. 

I also remember blink being pulled from the game and the bombers thinking he had a meniscus tear but it was turf toe. And for a game and a half Mike Sellers was our half back. And in one of those games he destroyed the riders defense to a hysterical degree. I also remember keith stokes filling in at RB for a game and being very dynamic. At his peak, the down fall though came quickly. 

I forgot that Sellers had feet that quick!

Edited by Wideleft

58 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

Terry Ray making Pat Woodcock puke.  Absolutely a play I will never forget.  I was at a  hotel pub in Vancouver and jumped up and yelled…. Scared the crap out of a lot of people.

I apparently don’t know how to put the YouTube clip in here, so maybe someone can help me out.

Ask and ye shall recieve

25 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

I forgot that Sellers had feet that quick!

Yeah he did not move like a big man. I remember with washington a player where he hurdled a DB after a great stiff arm. His quick feet where a huge part of his success. One of my favorite short term bombers to watch. 

Also a great hit from sellers was vs detroit he murdered a S who was a pretty good hitter him self. 

52 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Westy kicking a 55 yard fg at the buzzer to beat the Riders way back in 2003.

This was my first game at Canad Inns! I was out visiting from Ontario and got a chance to go. I was always a CFL fan but this was the game that made me a Bomber Fan. After moving out to MB in 05 I got season tickets that year and have had them since. 

34 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

My boy, 2016 draft pick, 6'5", 327 lb. Rupert Butcher. Dominant in the one-on-one competition at the CFL combine and then....

Butcher was a 1 on 1 monster, even in camp here. He was such a force they moved him to OL. DT was really deep at that point. He came back for a 2nd tc with indzandt another work out monster converted to OL. Both were really too raw to crack the roster though. 

25 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah he did not move like a big man. I remember with washington a player where he hurdled a DB after a great stiff arm. His quick feet where a huge part of his success. One of my favorite short term bombers to watch. 

Also a great hit from sellers was vs detroit he murdered a S who was a pretty good hitter him self. 

Do you mean Philly?  He absolutely crushed Brian Dawkins.

Nevermind, he also trucked Kenoy Kennedy when the Skins played the Lions.

Edited by bigg jay

One of the more obscure Bomber moments actually involves Roberts. I was at the first practice after the team signed Onterrio Smith.

There was a lot of hype over Smith so the media wanted to get a few words from Blink after practice. Well, I guess Blink was pissed over the signing as he ran away from the media scrum and hid under the old grand stands at Canad Inns.

Smith never recovered for an injury and was cut a short time later. Not sure what Roberts would have done if Smith ended up actually suiting up for the team.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I was actually thinking that there are WAY too many ******* kids on this site...... "remember 2010??!!" gtfo.......I'm feeling more and more like Iso and KBF every day. ******* kids....

fun fact - that was the first time since their return that the Jets had a game on the same day as the Bombers. A couple of us made a roadie from Alberta back home for that weekend. Got tix to the Bombers game where we beat Montreal to take over 1st place in the East, and then we headed over to that "4-Play" sports bar across from MTSC and watched Chris Mason shut out the Canes that night for a big Jets win. A marching band from the UofM was going through the bar playing songs....it was just unreal. What a ******* weekend we had.....hoooooooweeeeeeeeeeeeee. They're still scraping 17to85's puke off of Broadway.......... ;)

Was at both games. 45 yard line 20 rows up for the Bombers, raced down Portage after the traffic cleared and ran into MTS Centre just in time to yell “True North” and sit at centre ice for the Jets (for some reason was able to get lower bowl seats then for a semi-reasonable price). Pavelec started and let 2 in on 2 shots, Mason came in and held the fort, and we scored 5 in the 2nd (Jim Slater with a pair) to win 5-2. The second time I pulled the double header.

The first was my birthday back in 1991. Bombers had a player mutiny against Cal Murphy because he held the purse strings tight and was a bit of a tyrant, which chafed a few players who felt they deserved more incidentals from the club. Also took pot shots at Rod Hill, who they called “Murphy’s house boy” (the racial undertone went unnoticed at that time - today that phrase would set people off big time). After a lot of public feuding and an aborted practice IIRC, the club took out its frustrations on the Tiger Cats, setting an all time club record winning 68-14 (Hill even got an INT touchdown and was mobbed by his teammates in the end zone). Then hopped across the street (double headers were so much easier then) to watch the Jets beat the Leafs 4-2 on HNIC. Pretty sweet birthday. 

Here’s another one for the older crowd. James Jefferson (I think before he added “the 3rd” to his name) holds an astounding CFL record from 1987 when he scored four touchdowns in a game, a record unlikely to ever be broken by a defensive player. Some trivia questions surrounding this feat. Without looking it up:

1. How many of the TDs were “defensive” touchdowns?

2. How many interceptions did he have that day?

3. How many touchdowns did he have that season in total, and how many defensive TDs did he score in his CFL career?

5 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Who else watched the Pacman Jones video after it was announced he was going to sign with the team?

Im still waiting for him to score 2 touchdowns a game for the Bombers.

Didn’t he say on that video he could hardly wait to get up to the “UFL” and tear up the league?

Edit: Thanks Super for verifying, just beat me to it. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

35 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Who else watched the Pacman Jones video after it was announced he was going to sign with the team?

Im still waiting for him to score 2 touchdowns a game for the Bombers.

He's too busy not fulfilling other claims at the moment.  He's now taken up boxing as his chosen profession.

Pacman Jones Guarantees Win At Rough N' Rowdy Boxing Match, 'Ready To F***ing Go' (tmz.com)

(spoiler alert - his guaranteed win was a fail).