Obscure moments and players in Bombers history

Arnold_Palmer

I feel like we should have a thread to talk about certain memories, players and moments in Bombers history. Inspired by my Charles Roberts thread it opened the floodgates thinking of moment during my life time.  Anyways I’ll go first.. does anyone remember this game? 

Bombers down 32-14 with 9 minutes left in the fourth. Alex Brinks gets the start and does nothing all game long. Jyles comes in and looks like a bonfide super star; we come back to force over time, Deon Beasley intercepts Casey printers for a pick six in over time and does a front flip into the end zone! Possibly the greatest game I ever attended. I remember my buddies wanted to leave when BC scored to make it 32-14. I convinced them to stay and the rest is history!

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

"remember this game?" It was only 10 years ago and was a pretty famous game for the WBB FC. I'd love to see some more obscure stuff for this thread...

2010 feels like a life time ago! Plus that season was so awful I think we won 4 games that year but 9 games were by 4 or less points. Pretty fun times. 

Another fun memory from 2010:

The hit on Szarka was phenomenal and it's a shame that play didn't stand due to the horsecollar tackle.

EDIT: Not sure if this qualifies as obscure, but it was a fun game and also the last Banjo Bowl victory at CanadInns Stadium.

Edited by blue_gold_84

Man that BC game was exciting! I remember it like it was only 10 years ago. 
Jyles threw a nice ball but never made it as a bonified QB in the league. 
Reid had some incredible speed and tore BC up over his short career in the league. 
Sanchez was the dirtiest player and should have been ejected for pulling the helmet off a Bomber ;) 

Mike Renaud had a leg! I remember him recovering his own punt in a game at home. 
Ah the memories. 

38 minutes ago, Noeller said:

**** that......2010 was last year...........it had to be........

Tell that to my oldest son, who despite me telling him repeatedly to stop growing older, continues to do so. 2010 was his year of birth. It was just last year but somehow so much longer ago. Time is funny. 

Edited by JCon

2 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Man that BC game was exciting! I remember it like it was only 10 years ago. 
Jyles threw a nice ball but never made it as a bonified QB in the league. 
Reid had some incredible speed and tore BC up over his short career in the league. 
Sanchez was the dirtiest player and should have been ejected for pulling the helmet off a Bomber ;) 

Mike Renaud had a leg! I remember him recovering his own punt in a game at home. 
Ah the memories. 

What about that game the bombers had over 300 rushing yards against BC? Fred Reid had well over 200 and I can’t remember who our back up runningback was but he had over a 100 too. That was a fun game. 

Just now, Arnold_Palmer said:

What about that game the bombers had over 300 rushing yards against BC? Fred Reid had well over 200 and I can’t remember who our back up runningback was but he had over a 100 too. That was a fun game. 

was it someone like Gilles Colon maybe? Someone like that...I think the summer of 2009....or maybe Yvenson Bernard? 

Edited by Noeller

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

was it someone like Gilles Colon maybe? Someone like that...I think the summer of 2009....or maybe Yvenson Bernard? 

Yes Bernard. Mike Kelly Era 

That game stands out for me for some reason. Maybe just the fact we kept running it all game and they couldn't stop us. Was special. 

Edited by Goalie

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Yes Bernard. Mike Kelly Era 

That game stands out for me for some reason. Maybe just the fact we kept running it all game and they couldn't stop us. Was special. 

One of my favourite games ever and it was Bernard. He was a pretty decent runningback it was just too bad Reid was at his absolute best back then. 

Gonna be honest... the Kelly Era had several memorable moments and that was one. 

The ticats in the boat. Michael Bishop 

Say what you want..Kelly created some solid memories also 

43 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I feel like we should have a thread to talk about certain memories, players and moments in Bombers history. Inspired by my Charles Roberts thread it opened the floodgates thinking of moment during my life time.  Anyways I’ll go first.. does anyone remember this game? 

Bombers down 32-14 with 9 minutes left in the fourth. Alex Brinks gets the start and does nothing all game long. Jyles comes in and looks like a bonfide super star; we come back to force over time, Deon Beasley intercepts Casey printers for a pick six in over time and does a front flip into the end zone! Possibly the greatest game I ever attended. I remember my buddies wanted to leave when BC scored to make it 32-14. I convinced them to stay and the rest is history!

I was at that game. We were laughing cuz we stated till end and ppl were watching the tron from the parking lots cuz so much happened so quick. Was so young but that game... yup... so amazing. I never leave when down by lots. Honestly beat the traffic generally means stuck in traffic so I stay till the end and glad we did that game 

51 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I've watched these highlights a million times,one of the best comeback games I've ever been to.

Maybe the most under rated bomber of the last 20 years, gavin walls. He didnt have the 10 year career to get to the hof sack level but for 5 years he was some thing special. 

For games, Id submit a 3 game series. The year is 2000, the enemy is the montreal alouettes.   Montreal was a contender, a 12 win team that year. We had been stuck in the dark ages for far too long. But coach Ritchie and his guys showed what was to come.  3 regular season games against the als. We lose by 2. We win by 3, we lose by 6 then we lost by 11 in the east final. We also played them in the pre season and lost 38-22. 

4 games and us being a hungry team on the come up made for bad blood. A LOT of bad blood. We fought and clawed, constantly on the verge of play off elimination that year. Starting out 1-3-1. We finished 7-10-1 OT, and toronto finished 7-10-1. But we lost an over time game to break the tie in the standings and go back to the play offs .

I firmly believe that these games with the Als are what steeled our core and prepared us for the 2001 run. 

In the week 11 (I think not sure) match up I remember it being back and forth, close down to the wire. Montreal was deep in our zone and went for it on 3rd and goal. Lamar mcgriggs hurried AC who threw incomplete. And was flagged for RTP. The call was horrible and the fans erupted. We ended up getting flagged for throwing junk onto the field as well. But we went on to win and the crowd reaction was as if we had won a play off game. 

Dont have any links to the other games, but here is the east final. 

In the early 2ks I hated the als much more than the riders. That rivalry was pretty tough for a while. 

41 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Another fun memory from 2010:

The hit on Szarka was phenomenal and it's a shame that play didn't stand due to the horsecollar tackle.

EDIT: Not sure if this qualifies as obscure, but it was a fun game and also the last Banjo Bowl victory at CanadInns Stadium.

lol i remember when rider fans used to say szarka was as good as sellers. dr zaius doesn't forget

Edited by Dr Zaius

Just now, Dr Zaius said:

lol i remember when rider fans used to say szarka was as good as sellers. dr zaius doesn't forget

Omg yes. And that if kenton keith got as many carries as blink he'd put up way more yards. That him and holmes were both better. 

I also remember blink being pulled from the game and the bombers thinking he had a meniscus tear but it was turf toe. And for a game and a half Mike Sellers was our half back. And in one of those games he destroyed the riders defense to a hysterical degree. I also remember keith stokes filling in at RB for a game and being very dynamic. At his peak, the down fall though came quickly. 

Another good game I was at was in 2011. We were playing Montreal for first place in the east and it was something like the 6th straight sell out. I remember it was so loud and the defense beat the **** out of Anthony Calvillo. They were relentless. We ended up scraping out a 1 point win to get first in the east and I remember after the game we ran into Anthony Calvillo at original Joe’s and even got a picture with him! Nice guy. 

44 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Maybe the most under rated bomber of the last 20 years, gavin walls. He didnt have the 10 year career to get to the hof sack level but for 5 years he was some thing special. 

For games, Id submit a 3 game series. The year is 2000, the enemy is the montreal alouettes.   Montreal was a contender, a 12 win team that year. We had been stuck in the dark ages for far too long. But coach Ritchie and his guys showed what was to come.  3 regular season games against the als. We lose by 2. We win by 3, we lose by 6 then we lost by 11 in the east final. We also played them in the pre season and lost 38-22. 

4 games and us being a hungry team on the come up made for bad blood. A LOT of bad blood. We fought and clawed, constantly on the verge of play off elimination that year. Starting out 1-3-1. We finished 7-10-1 OT, and toronto finished 7-10-1. But we lost an over time game to break the tie in the standings and go back to the play offs .

I firmly believe that these games with the Als are what steeled our core and prepared us for the 2001 run. 

In the week 11 (I think not sure) match up I remember it being back and forth, close down to the wire. Montreal was deep in our zone and went for it on 3rd and goal. Lamar mcgriggs hurried AC who threw incomplete. And was flagged for RTP. The call was horrible and the fans erupted. We ended up getting flagged for throwing junk onto the field as well. But we went on to win and the crowd reaction was as if we had won a play off game. 

Dont have any links to the other games, but here is the east final. 

In the early 2ks I hated the als much more than the riders. That rivalry was pretty tough for a while. 

I wish there were more from the early 2000s available online. I'd love to watch some of those Khari, Milt, Roberts, Sellers games again.