Week 6 thoughts and review

Nolby

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

They'd be on the field with all the 2 & outs we'd have & eventually be gassed. Yeah, I agree they are a great defense but time of possession & field position wins games. Collaros at qb is critical. Too bad the CFL doesn't have a Comeback Player Of The Year award. 

If that’s a veiled shot at the failed offence behind Nichols versus Collaros, your criteria are factually incorrect.

This year the Bombers’ time of possession is 29:57 per game, so their defence is actually on the field longer than the offence by a hair. They have 34 two and outs so far (35 if you count the 3 play kneel down to end one game, which I did not) so over 18 games they’d be on pace for 102.

In 2019 they led the league in time of possession with 32:02 and had 85 two and outs for 5th best (they were 6 away from being 2nd and 7 away from 7th for context). At this year’s rate over 18 games, the current team in 2019 would have finished 8th best in two and outs and be 6th in TOP.

In 2018 they were 6th in TOP at 30:03 (this year’s team would have ranked 8th) and had 84 two and outs (3rd best, this year’s team would have ranked 9th).

In 2017 their TOP was 7th best at 29:02 (this year’s team would rank no higher) and 3rd in two and outs with 74 (pro-rated, this year’s team would finish behind all 9 teams that year). 

Recency bias may be at play here, and as I said Collaros is climbing, but this offence struggled for the first 4 games this season. The focus is certainly shifting away from an Andrew Harris-led scheme, but his injury will have had something to do with both the optics and the reality of that. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:
Edited by TrueBlue4ever

Interesting breakdown by Marshall Ferguson on the back-to-back games. The Bombers’ run heavy game plan instilled by LaPo and being maintained by Buck is still the outlier for the league, but the results are telling, with Zach’s efficiency offering great balance. Also benefit from playing with the lead so much. 
https://www.cfl.ca/2021/09/16/ferguson-team-won-labour-day/

25 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Interesting breakdown by Marshall Ferguson on the back-to-back games. The Bombers’ run heavy game plan instilled by LaPo and being maintained by Buck is still the outlier for the league, but the results are telling, with Zach’s efficiency offering great balance. Also benefit from playing with the lead so much. 
https://www.cfl.ca/2021/09/16/ferguson-team-won-labour-day/

From the article: I’m of the belief that Saskatchewan is still a very good team who ran up against a well-oiled machine in the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Yeah, sure they're a really good team but not when they play another good team? Give me a break. 

I understand those that have a more extreme view of the Labour Day and Banjo Bowl sweep because it never really felt like the Riders were in control of either game. 

Um, what? They were never even remotely close to being in control. 

I hate that TSN feels the need to pat Rider fans on the head all the time. 

53 minutes ago, JCon said:

From the article: I’m of the belief that Saskatchewan is still a very good team who ran up against a well-oiled machine in the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Yeah, sure they're a really good team but not when they play another good team? Give me a break. 

I understand those that have a more extreme view of the Labour Day and Banjo Bowl sweep because it never really felt like the Riders were in control of either game. 

He basically detailed how much Saskatchewan was never in the game, so I don't really get the big deal?

Edited by Geebrr

49 minutes ago, JCon said:

I honestly prefer it this way. In 2019 all you heard about was the Hamilton juggernaut and how it was on track to be an all-time great champion. Even after we pummelled them in the Grey Cup, the talk at the start of this year was not the returning champs, but the redemption tour for “team 14-0”. The more we fly under the radar, the better IMO. Seen too many defending champs pull off an underdog win, carry that win to a dominating regular season where they suddenly play up to the level of their championship win, get praise heaped on them as being the new power, and then get taken down in the playoffs (think St. Louis Blues). If TSN wants to try to convince viewers there is still parity this year, let them. Let’s just keep on quietly winning all the way to another Grey Cup, then we can bask in the long overdue accolades. Being the Week 7 champions in the eyes of the media means extremely little to me.