Week 6 thoughts and review

Nolby

8 hours ago, johnzo said:

yeah, dude is a journalist, or is at least journalist-adjacent.  I'm actually curious what the league says about any controversial officiating decision, so good on him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Rod Smith and Matty are the best team that TSN has right now and it ain't close.  Rod drily tells you what happens and then Matty hypes the living **** out of the play or calls bullshit on it.  It's a great dynamic. 

Farhan Lalji wasn't too bad with Dunigan either last weekend.

I think the new guy Dustin Neilson is pretty good too but I don't think he and Dunigan would work well together.  too much of the same kind of energy.

this is a really great point that I hadn't considered. It's so important to balance these things...good call, J.....

8 hours ago, johnzo said:

yeah, dude is a journalist, or is at least journalist-adjacent.  I'm actually curious what the league says about any controversial officiating decision, so good on him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Rod Smith and Matty are the best team that TSN has right now and it ain't close.  Rod drily tells you what happens and then Matty hypes the living **** out of the play or calls bullshit on it.  It's a great dynamic. 

Farhan Lalji wasn't too bad with Dunigan either last weekend.

I think the new guy Dustin Neilson is pretty good too but I don't think he and Dunigan would work well together.  too much of the same kind of energy.

Yup...I like Smith...works well with Dunnigan....Farhen too was impressive, if he doesn't show a Lions Bias he is a good one, tho I wouldn't mind him cheerleading a bit for them as it is good for B.C hahaha

I would like to see them use Smith, Dunnigan and Forde as the main guys...work in Neilson with each to see who he meshes with best

2 minutes ago, Sard said:

I was nice to hear Neilson's excitement when Kenny Lawler scored the touchdown in the Banjo Bowl.  In my mind, he was almost rubbing it in Suitor's face because he kept going on about the brawl and how Harris wasn't thrown out.

It definitely wasn't that...it was just his sincere excitement for football. I'm not quite sure yet how I feel about how amped DN gets as the PBP guy. Generally speaking, the emotion should be for the Analyst, but I think if the pairing is right, you can get away with it. But as mentioned, if he was paired with someone like Dunigan, who is also that amped, it might be too much for some people.... almost off-putting. 

25 minutes ago, Sard said:

I was nice to hear Neilson's excitement when Kenny Lawler scored the touchdown in the Banjo Bowl.  In my mind, he was almost rubbing it in Suitor's face because he kept going on about the brawl and how Harris wasn't thrown out.

Suitor still mentioned the missed Harris ejection (in his opinion) in the bloody 4th quarter still

Forde is not normally my favorite, I want more of a character in the color role and he doesn't have a ton of personality that I can detect, but I'll pay more attention next time I see him paired up with DN because on paper they'd work together.

DN just seems like such a massive dork for football, love that vibe of someone who loves the game and can fill airtime agreeably.  While the guy is no Cuthbert yet he's a real breath of fresh air for TSN.

Edited by johnzo

Dusty is good as is suitor and they do pair well. Suitor just shows his love for the green riders to the point of he shouldn't do rider games  

Smith and Farhan are solid also but have their Favorites also in Argos and Lions 

Forde is a solid analyst. Dunnigan is entertaining AF. 

I think they have a solid group.. 

I think the Panel needs work 

Lapo. Benavides. Milt and Sanchez would be better. I find Barker unbearable at times 

31 minutes ago, Booch said:

Suitor still mentioned the missed Harris ejection (in his opinion) in the bloody 4th quarter still

Right to the end of the game. I rewatched the offensive series last night after being at the game and was already tired of it. Holy crap I feel bad for any one who had to watch the best game of the year so far and listen to him drone on. 

The great thing about watching games on tsn.ca is I can sync up OB to the stream easier. 

31 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Forde is not normally my favorite, I want more of a character in the color role and he doesn't have a ton of personality that I can detect, but I'll pay more attention next time I see him paired up with DN because on paper they'd work together.

DN just seems like such a massive dork for football, love that vibe of someone who loves the game and can fill airtime agreeably.  While the guy is no Cuthbert yet he's a real breath of fresh air for TSN.

Imo forde would be better on the panel. He's not the most eloquent, or loquacious guy but his insight is pretty good. Have him do a players corner thing similar to how the big NFL shows have a coaches segment on another set. 

Waiting for some of these old dogs to age out at TSN. I hope their careers arent longer than my life span. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Right to the end of the game. I rewatched the offensive series last night after being at the game and was already tired of it. Holy crap I feel bad for any one who had to watch the best game of the year so far and listen to him drone on. 

The great thing about watching games on tsn.ca is I can sync up OB to the stream easier. 

Imo forde would be better on the panel. He's not the most eloquent, or loquacious guy but his insight is pretty good. Have him do a players corner thing similar to how the big NFL shows have a coaches segment on another set. 

Waiting for some of these old dogs to age out at TSN. I hope their careers arent longer than my life span. 

agree totally on that...didnt even think of that

28 minutes ago, Booch said:

What I find interesting is how the media is calling the Riders team this offensive juggernaut, and Fartado being a MOP candidate. (was just "off" vs Winnipeg)..5 games played 7 offensive touchdowns?...how is that a juggernaut?

I really like Fajardo as a guy, seems like a good guy to have in the league but there’s absolutely no way he’s regarded as a hyped up MOP candidate if he plays for literally any other team in the league.

Vernon Adams produced an incredibly comparable season to Fajardo last year and all we hear is “can he do it again? Gotta prove it for more than one season” but somehow Fajardo as a one-year wonder is getting the kind of respect VA would be lucky to get after 3 or 4 all-star worthy seasons. 

I genuinely think it’s a two horse race this year for MOP as of right now. Collaros and VA. 

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

It definitely wasn't that...it was just his sincere excitement for football. I'm not quite sure yet how I feel about how amped DN gets as the PBP guy. Generally speaking, the emotion should be for the Analyst, but I think if the pairing is right, you can get away with it. But as mentioned, if he was paired with someone like Dunigan, who is also that amped, it might be too much for some people.... almost off-putting. 

Put him with a low key guy like forde you might have something.  Just no more suitor blathering on and on about useless crap.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

I really like Fajardo as a guy, seems like a good guy to have in the league but there’s absolutely no way he’s regarded as a hyped up MOP candidate if he plays for literally any other team in the league.

Vernon Adams produced an incredibly comparable season to Fajardo last year and all we hear is “can he do it again? Gotta prove it for more than one season” but somehow Fajardo as a one-year wonder is getting the kind of respect VA would be lucky to get after 3 or 4 all-star worthy seasons. 

I genuinely think it’s a two horse race this year for MOP as of right now. Collaros and VA. 

Playing ott 4 times is going to pad VA's stats and record. Other wise It really should be between collaros and one of our defenders, biggie WJ or JJ. 

24 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Playing ott 4 times is going to pad VA's stats and record. Other wise It really should be between collaros and one of our defenders, biggie WJ or JJ. 

And Bighill. But 100% agree that nearing the midway point, it's all us for every major award. MOP, MODP, ROTY.... 

18 minutes ago, Noeller said:

And Bighill. But 100% agree that nearing the midway point, it's all us for every major award. MOP, MODP, ROTY.... 

I shouldve just written bighill instead of biggie for clarity. Hes been a monster again this year. Id say even better than the year before last. 

For ROTY, I know Nichols doesnt count. He played in the NFL a couple games and then the XFL which I think counts. I dont know if sayles counts due to also NFL PR time and AAFL and XFL play. But Alford I guess would be our top ROTY candidate. For a 23 year old rookie in the truest sense of the word what he's doing is nuts. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

To me, Collaros is the CFL MOP. we wouldn't be 5-1 & the best team in the CFL if he wasn't there. He is The Man who makes things happen on offense. Like Jack Jacobs, Ken Ploen, Don Jonas, Dieter Brock, Tom Clements & Khari Jones before him.

Collaros is climbing for sure, but make no mistake this team is 5-1 on the back of an unreal defence right now. Bighill an Willie J (in that order in my mind) are the MOP’s right now. 

33 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I shouldve just written bighill instead of biggie for clarity. Hes been a monster again this year. Id say even better than the year before last. 

For ROTY, I know Nichols doesnt count. He played in the NFL a couple games and then the XFL which I think counts. I dont know if sayles counts due to also NFL PR time and AAFL and XFL play. But Alford I guess would be our top ROTY candidate. For a 23 year old rookie in the truest sense of the word what he's doing is nuts. 

Bah... I totally missed your mention of Bighill. My bad. Is Nichols for sure ineligible for Rookie? 

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Collaros is climbing for sure, but make no mistake this team is 5-1 on the back of an unreal defence right now. Bighill an Willie J (in that order in my mind) are the MOP’s right now. 

They'd be on the field with all the 2 & outs we'd have & eventually be gassed. Yeah, I agree they are a great defense but time of possession & field position wins games. Collaros at qb is critical. Too bad the CFL doesn't have a Comeback Player Of The Year award.