Fan Experience Question

Sard

After sitting through the game yesterday, with a guy sitting beside me blowing a horn the whole time the defence was on the field, I'm curious to know what others think.

I feel like the horns should not be allowed in the stadium right now because anyone using one is basically spitting on a bunch of people sitting in front of them.  I know that everyone (over 12) in the stadium is vaccinated, and for me, I'm wearing my mask at all times, but we are still in a pandemic.

mI' thinking of writing to the team to ask about this, but I was curious to know other peoples' thoughts on that before I do. 

Edited by Sard

• Sard changed the title to Fan Experience Question

Before I moved to Calgary in 1990 I was a Bomber STH. in 1987, there was a guy sitting behind me who kept blowing his damned plastic horn in my ear as he was behind me one row up. During the game, I asked him time & time again to not blow in my ear. Just point it to the sky. Politely at first & then becoming more angrier as the game went on. It fricking hurt. I turned around again & yelled at him "To ******* STOP!!" He laughed at me & made some snide remark so I slapped the horn out of his hand. I thought he & his 2 friends might jump me but instead the guy stopped laughing & they all got quiet. He didn't blow his horn again but it was late in the game. I had my friend with me so I didn't view him or his 2 buddies as any kind of threat. They were just 3 weenies. I hate horns. I think horns should be banned. Especially with Covid. 

46 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Is it discharging that much saliva out of the tube in comparison to people shouting at the top of their lungs?  

I think so. 

Blow responsibly. ;)

I hadn't thought much about it but I could handle a horn ban out of an abundance of caution until children get vaxxed so that everyone in the stadium can be even safer. It's a lot easier to cut loose and enjoy yourself when you don't have to worry as much about yourself or the people around you. We shouldn't be afraid to use horns, and that means making sure the kids are vaxxed.

Besides, cowbell > horn

Personally I like the horns, I dont use one but I probably should to save the throat a bit lol. 

I dont think it causes any particularly high chance of spreading vs yelling, or people cross contaminating by touching their cup or bottle to their lips touching it with there hands then touching every thing around them. 

I think the general nature of 33k people in tight quarters makes you prone to all kinds of undesirable things. Ive had beer spilled on me (im a teetotaler the smell of any booze is over powering in its strength) ive had guys fall out of their seat on me, spill food all over and had general ear ringing from all kinds of noise makers. I think it just kind of goes with the territory. It might be some thing worth having a section with out any of that kind of stuff though. 

The guys in front of us at  the game got pretty tipsy but they were happy drunks. High fiving every one around with in reach. Some random guy behind me gave me a big hug at one point. Ive had soo many wonderful experiences with random fans at bomber games I wouldnt change any thing. Last year my old lady lost her phone in the stadium and she was freaking out. I called it and a nice old couple had found it, they met us at the st vital park and ride right away.  

56 minutes ago, Noeller said:

what do you mean return? That was one of Wade Miller's first announcements after he took over....that it would be allowed. 

Its just so much harder to do without the jumbo cups. Those thick old slurpee-style jumbos were prime snake-makers. Haven't seen a proper snake in going on a decade, but then I don't sit in the north endzone anymore

23 minutes ago, Sard said:

The original question wasn't about the sound, it was about the spit factor while Covid is still out there.

As far as saliva ejecta goes, is a fan blowing into a horn any different than a fan yelling and cheering at the top of their lungs? There'd be ample spittle in either case being projected from a horn or mouth.

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'm in favour of anything that makes us the loudest fans in the CFL and creates as many TCVs as we do........

Remember when the Bombers went through the gong-show phase before Miller? They banned cowbells in the stands while the store was still selling them.

Regarding horns, if people like the sound of horns but want to reduce their spit levels there is an option. There are horn footballs that work well. The Bomber store used to sell them, not sure if they still do though. U wear it around your neck so it frees up a hand to carry another beer.

7 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

As far as saliva ejecta goes, is a fan blowing into a horn any different than a fan yelling and cheering at the top of their lungs? There'd be ample spittle in either case being projected from a horn or mouth.

I think it is, but I have no way to prove it.  I feel like the horn would project further as well, but again no proof.

This is why I'm asking the question in general, was mostly curious to know what others thought.

I think horns would get banned for their nuisance factor long before they’d get banned for the potential for COVID spit. If the latter was the true concern, they’d do much better to enforce social distancing in the Rum Hut area (which will never happen) than eliminate the horns. 

Wow, concerns about excessive crowd noise and coaches no longer on our staff. We must be winning on the fielding these are the pressing issues of the day!

19 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Before I moved to Calgary in 1990 I was a Bomber STH. in 1987, there was a guy sitting behind me who kept blowing his damned plastic horn in my ear as he was behind me one row up. During the game, I asked him time & time again to not blow in my ear. Just point it to the sky. Politely at first & then becoming more angrier as the game went on. It fricking hurt. I turned around again & yelled at him "To ******* STOP!!" He laughed at me & made some snide remark so I slapped the horn out of his hand. I thought he & his 2 friends might jump me but instead the guy stopped laughing & they all got quiet. He didn't blow his horn again but it was late in the game. I had my friend with me so I didn't view him or his 2 buddies as any kind of threat. They were just 3 weenies. I hate horns. I think horns should be banned. Especially with Covid. 

I think so. 

Blow responsibly. ;)

When my now wife and I went to Hamilton to watch the Casey Printers returning to the CFL game... a couple of drunk Ti-Cat fans were taking the plastic horns and pointing the spout right in the ear of a couple of really young Bomber fans (probably 18-19ish) and blowing at the top of their lungs.   I was going to do something myself but before I could my angered wife ripped the horn out of the guys hand and tossed it down a few rows and told him to stop being *insert profanities* and suggested that he had a small *wee wee*.       

Nothing deflates a cocky drunk fan faster then a lady suggesting that he has a tiny one. 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

When my now wife and I went to Hamilton to watch the Casey Printers returning to the CFL game... a couple of drunk Ti-Cat fans were taking the plastic horns and pointing the spout right in the ear of a couple of really young Bomber fans (probably 18-19ish) and blowing at the top of their lungs.   I was going to do something myself but before I could my angered wife ripped the horn out of the guys hand and tossed it down a few rows and told him to stop being *insert profanities* and suggested that he had a small *wee wee*.       

Nothing deflates a cocky drunk fan faster then a lady suggesting that he has a tiny one. 

Right ON!!