GDT - Banjo Bowl - Riders @ the Champs

JCon

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Pulling a helmet off by the face mask after the play is over, isn't just pulling the helmet off and attacking a player by his face mask after the play is over isn't just an average in the heat of the moment face masking.

I remember a player pulling a helmet off by the face mask and bowling the helmet down the field a few years back and he was ejected. Got a 1 game suspension too, but that was eventually overturned when the players association stepped in.

Asking a Bomber or a Riders fan about the Harris penalty is pretty much useless as you're not going to get an unbiased opinion. The CFL panel thought it should be a penalty. They're unbiased, mostly ex players and coaches who know what they are looking at.

AS A PLAYER (FORMER) its a penalty yup...and he got flagged for it...but not a precedent to eject....I've never seen it in my 18 years playing other than when it was used as a weapon afterward....rule instituted in U.S after Lyle Alzado did it.

It was no  more malicious or premeditated to "attempt to injure" then any other face mask pulling incident/fight/helmet removal...is what it is and left to each person interpretation, but any player I have talked to said penalty suited the crime

Johnson tho...total intent and premeditated attempt to injure a defenseless player whom also had his lid ripped off...

1 hour ago, Booch said:

AS A PLAYER (FORMER) its a penalty yup...and he got flagged for it...but not a precedent to eject....I've never seen it in my 18 years playing other than when it was used as a weapon afterward....rule instituted in U.S after Lyle Alzado did it.

It was no  more malicious or premeditated to "attempt to injure" then any other face mask pulling incident/fight/helmet removal...is what it is and left to each person interpretation, but any player I have talked to said penalty suited the crime

Johnson tho...total intent and premeditated attempt to injure a defenseless player whom also had his lid ripped off...

Here we go again. We agree that it should be a penalty. We probably agree it should be a fine (It was). We agree he shouldn't lose the next game for it.

We disagree that he should have been thrown out. At least this week, you're on the Ref's side.

It was more premeditated than grabbing a facemask during the play. Sometimes you can't grab anything else. Sometimes you just don't let go. Sometimes you target the face mask, but intent isn't part of penalties, so you can't be  DQ'd for intent.

After the play, during a scrum, Harris went directly for the face mask. He wasn't trying to tackle anyone. He didn't grab it by mistake. He didn't just not let go. He specifically targeted the face mask. Grabbed hold of it (Penalty). Threw the guy to the ground by the face mask. All of it was way after the whistle. All of it should be enough to use the disqualification for any act of rough play against an opponent  and was an act of excessive roughness which is the black letter definition of a DQ'able play.

I didn't call it an intent to injure. IMO Harris' intent was to control the other player by grabbing his face mask then throwing him to the ground by that face mask. Not sure if he intended to rip the helmet off of the player.

Now you want to make it about something that Johnson did instead of something that Harris did. I just saw the clip and he should have been thrown out too.

Edited by TBURGESS

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

So you agree with him. Then why are you arguing?

I think the CFL should make it an ejection but they don't. He's arguing that Harris should have been ejected based on his nee to complain about the Bombers. 

Edited by JCon

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

You cant. Guys helmets are held on by little more than hopes and prayers these days. Aka nothing. Atleast 1 pops off on virtually every single play. Half the face masks in the league could be turned into ejections if the person being grabbed is smart about it. 

IF any thing, we should see a crack down on shoving after the play. Thats an epidemic in todays game, and thats what leads to the worse stuff. No more skip the first and call the retaliation. 1 shove 1 instant 15 yard penalty. That crap will end fast. And soo will the majority of the post play shenanigan's. 

I think you can make a rule that if you pull a player's helmet off after the whistle, it's an ejection. Mandatory review by the replay booth. 

12 hours ago, JCon said:

I think you can make a rule that if you pull a player's helmet off after the whistle, it's an ejection. Mandatory review by the replay booth. 

Cant trust the booth to make the right call though. Like that punch to the head of a helmetless harris. No flag, no  call from the booth, no move by the league. 

13 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Here we go again. We agree that it should be a penalty. We probably agree it should be a fine (It was). We agree he shouldn't lose the next game for it.

We disagree that he should have been thrown out. At least this week, you're on the Ref's side.

It was more premeditated than grabbing a facemask during the play. Sometimes you can't grab anything else. Sometimes you just don't let go. Sometimes you target the face mask, but intent isn't part of penalties, so you can't be  DQ'd for intent.

After the play, during a scrum, Harris went directly for the face mask. He wasn't trying to tackle anyone. He didn't grab it by mistake. He didn't just not let go. He specifically targeted the face mask. Grabbed hold of it (Penalty). Threw the guy to the ground by the face mask. All of it was way after the whistle. All of it should be enough to use the disqualification for any act of rough play against an opponent  and was an act of excessive roughness which is the black letter definition of a DQ'able play.

I didn't call it an intent to injure. IMO Harris' intent was to control the other player by grabbing his face mask then throwing him to the ground by that face mask. Not sure if he intended to rip the helmet off of the player.

Now you want to make it about something that Johnson did instead of something that Harris did. I just saw the clip and he should have been thrown out too.

pre-play scrums....face mask grabs...helmet rip offs happen all the time, and always have...and still will....and until there is a black and white rule saying it's an ejection, and not a "judgment" call by a ref then you will rarely..if ever see an ejection....thats the facts...there were several other things in that melee that should have been flagged which weren't...is what it is.

Not saying I am the be all end all on knowledge, but I have played the game..know the game, and it's not an objectional offence unless u use said helmet as a weapon after the fact...it's cut and dried....now lets all move on....we all agree it was a UR penalty which it is always flagged for...

15 minutes ago, Booch said:

pre-play scrums....face mask grabs...helmet rip offs happen all the time, and always have...and still will....and until there is a black and white rule saying it's an ejection, and not a "judgment" call by a ref then you will rarely..if ever see an ejection....thats the facts...there were several other things in that melee that should have been flagged which weren't...is what it is.

Not saying I am the be all end all on knowledge, but I have played the game..know the game, and it's not an objectional offence unless u use said helmet as a weapon after the fact...it's cut and dried....now lets all move on....we all agree it was a UR penalty which it is always flagged for...

I originally thought you just didn't know the rule when you said it was cut and dried, so I posted the rule. Now I know that you're simply lying about it like you did when you said throwing the helmet is a DQ or hitting a player with a helmet is a DQ. Both of those are part of part 3 of the rule and are up to the Ref's judgment. Note that's the same part of the rule that I'm using to say Harris should have been thrown out.

We all know you played football at a higher level than most of us. You bring it up every time you want to shut up other people because you actually think it means that you are the be all and end all on knowledge. It reminds me of that ad.... 'Oooo he's a Sir'. One week you argue that the refs got it wrong and you know cuz you played at a high level. Next week, it's the refs got it right and you know cuz you played at a high level.

7 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I originally thought you just didn't know the rule when you said it was cut and dried, so I posted the rule. Now I know that you're simply lying about it like you did when you said throwing the helmet is a DQ or hitting a player with a helmet is a DQ. Both of those are part of part 3 of the rule and are up to the Ref's judgment. Note that's the same part of the rule that I'm using to say Harris should have been thrown out.

We all know you played football at a higher level than most of us. You bring it up every time you want to shut up other people because you actually think it means that you are the be all and end all on knowledge. It reminds me of that ad.... 'Oooo he's a Sir'. One week you argue that the refs got it wrong and you know cuz you played at a high level. Next week, it's the refs got it right and you know cuz you played at a high level.

go find an incident of a player tossed for what you are yammering on about...and good luck with it.

and contrary to your boasting...yes..if u throw a helmet at a player or use it as a weapon after the fact you will be tossed....look it up..i'll give u a good start..it came into effect due to what Alzado did to a Lineman back in the day

Most of your comments and arguing points here are based on your personal opinion and your biased opinion against many a poster....why..who knows but me thinks it's because your mommy didnt hug you enough as a child....carry on 

2 hours ago, Booch said:

go find an incident of a player tossed for what you are yammering on about...and good luck with it.

and contrary to your boasting...yes..if u throw a helmet at a player or use it as a weapon after the fact you will be tossed....look it up..i'll give u a good start..it came into effect due to what Alzado did to a Lineman back in the day

Most of your comments and arguing points here are based on your personal opinion and your biased opinion against many a poster....why..who knows but me thinks it's because your mommy didnt hug you enough as a child....carry on 

I'll wait for you to find an example of a player doing what Harris did way after the play was over and wasn't thrown out. Good luck with that too.

I didn't say you wouldn't be tossed. I said it's not a black and white rule. It's part of exactly the same rule that I'm quoting as a reason for Harris to get DQ'd. If you can find a rule that says you'll get thrown out specifically for tossing a helmet or even using one as a weapon, then you can call it black and white. If not, you can't.

The reason I'm disagreeing with your opinion is because I'm biased against you? 🤣 Nope. Because my Mommy didn't hug me enough? 🙄 Nope. The reason I disagree with you on this point is because you're making up rules that don't exist and then using the 'OOOoooo I used to be somebody' "reason" that everyone should agree with your opinion. Maybe you peaked in High School and you miss the adulation now that you're an adult or maybe it's because you can't physically bully people on the internet.

Cheers!

Edited by TBURGESS

Just now, JCon said:

Vernon Adams not only ripped a helmet off but also swung it at a player. He was not thrown out. 

I hope you're done now. 

In an calgary iirc game earlier this year a guy had his helmet ripped off like that no ejection. Some people in here just dont have a clue when it comes to the rule book. 

30 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I'll wait for you to find an example of a player doing what Harris did way after the play was over and wasn't thrown out. Good luck with that too.

I didn't say you wouldn't be tossed. I said it's not a black and white rule. It's part of exactly the same rule that I'm quoting as a reason for Harris to get DQ'd. If you can find a rule that says you'll get thrown out specifically for tossing a helmet or even using one as a weapon, then you can call it black and white. If not, you can't.

The reason I'm disagreeing with your opinion is because I'm biased against you? 🤣 Nope. Because my Mommy didn't hug me enough? 🙄 Nope. The reason I disagree with you on this point is because you're making up rules that don't exist and then using the 'OOOoooo I used to be somebody' "reason" that everyone should agree with your opinion. Maybe you peaked in High School and you miss the adulation now that you're an adult or maybe it's because you can't physically bully people on the internet.

Cheers!

yup..thats it....and I got payed to play btw so thanks very much...also had all my schooling and 2 degrees paid for from playing....wasn't a high school peaker haha....I think thats you...and from sounds of your constant complaining and attacking of others, prob missed any peak hahah...just a wanna be fanboi...who likes to hear his own voice....and this is your only platform to be heard...sad...very sad...lol

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

yup..thats it....and I got payed to play btw so thanks very much...also had all my schooling and 2 degrees paid for from playing....wasn't a high school peaker haha....I think thats you...and from sounds of your constant complaining and attacking of others, prob missed any peak hahah...just a wanna be fanboi...who likes to hear his own voice....and this is your only platform to be heard...sad...very sad...lol

*drops mic*

Just now, Booch said:

Aside from bighill last year, and the stamps (i think) play this year, it actually happened involving us and toronto in the first game. Ricky collins JR had his helmet ripped off and no flag, no fine, nothing. 

Some people are just contrarians. If every one in the group is saying its not an ejection you have the village idiot who will say other wise. They'd rather take drugs for horses, shoot up bleach and rinse with isopropyl than admit that every one who has taken the vaccine and is fine isnt lying, and neither are the doctors or the numbers of none vaxxed in hospitals. 

Just now, Noeller said:

President of the Booch Fan Club..... I can live with it. Ha ha. 

hahah.....I don't profess to know everything....I have an opinion as well and a lot of times is different than many, and not necessarily maybe the proper opinion...but enjoy and I think it's appreciated (by most I would hope) to offer a view from within the white lines and not from just the stands...and from a player perspective and how things actually go on