GDT - Banjo Bowl - Riders @ the Champs

JCon

I think what we are seeing with Craig Dickenson is a guy who was thrust into a role he is not capable of performing. They had to promote someone from within to head coach when Jones bailed right? And Dickenson was the choice because they didn't have a lot of great options. So what we see here is a guy who is a very good special teams coach being in a position where he is just unable to manage a collection of selfish me first players. He just doesn't have that strength to tell players to fit in or **** off like a Mike O'Shea does. 

18 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I think what we are seeing with Jaime Elizondo is a guy who was thrust into a role he is not capable of performing. They had to promote someone from within to head coach when Scott Milanovich bailed right? 

Spot the trend.

13 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I think what we are seeing with Craig Dickenson is a guy who was thrust into a role he is not capable of performing. They had to promote someone from within to head coach when Jones bailed right? And Dickenson was the choice because they didn't have a lot of great options. So what we see here is a guy who is a very good special teams coach being in a position where he is just unable to manage a collection of selfish me first players. He just doesn't have that strength to tell players to fit in or **** off like a Mike O'Shea does. 

Tim burke 2.0. But sad for every one involved he fell into juuust the right circumstance to squeeze enough wins out to over achieve. And had the right fan base to hype them into the stratosphere. Not to mention just the right tools at qb to make up for not being good. 

18 hours ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

I am more than confident the coaching staff will have this fixed before playoff time. 

18 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I have 100% confidence Osh will have that kicking/Return game sorted before playoffs.

I am not losing sleep about it , but it needs to be addressed.

Part of the issues with Dickenson's team...and this falls on Oday's lap is the guy's they have brought in and the culture they have created there...the wrong kind of culture

I recall here in years 1 through 3...part of 4 the impatience heard around these parts for what Walters and Oshea were creating...and that the results were not instant enough. Sure there were some (at the time) high end free agents we passed on and the fans here said they were nuts, and didn't know what they were doing...wanted them fired...et..etc...but now that the foundation and culture was established, the right kind of players brought in to police it internally....it's become the defacto place to be, and sustainable now for the long term...and we are now the organization that teams are trying to replicate...thats facts....

I was a bit leery at first with Willie....phenomenal talent but hoped he wasn't bringing that piss poor Sask me first/selfish brand of football stench here....and he hasn't.....was totally painted with wrong brush as a Rider and is one of the vets here that allows us to self police and continue what we got going on here...true pro and team first player...plus he's awesome on top of it.

I've been on teams were certain groups hated each other...some where guys even though were teammates...didn't even really know one another or cared to for that matter..and were just there for the cheque....polar oppositer thing here and it reflects on the field

Looking back...it all started with one signing...years back that was the first brick...and that brick was rewarded with his second ring....Mr Bryant...probably the most respected guy in the room, and rightfully so. Even tho he had a ring from before, him being here basically from the restart, and staying loyal was this teams foundation, and you know that ring from 2019 was so much more cherished by him

Edited by Booch

17 minutes ago, Booch said:

Part of the issues with Dickenson's team...and this falls on Oday's lap is the guy's they have brought in and the culture they have created there...the wrong kind of culture

I recall here in years 1 through 3...part of 4 the impatience heard around these parts for what Walters and Oshea were creating...and that the results were not instant enough. Sure there were some (at the time) high end free agents we passed on and the fans here said they were nuts, and didn't know what they were doing...wanted them fired...et..etc...but now that the foundation and culture was established, the right kind of players brought in to police it internally....it's become the defacto place to be, and sustainable now for the long term...and we are now the organization that teams are trying to replicate...thats facts....

I was a bit leery at first with Willie....phenomenal talent but hoped he wasn't bringing that piss poor Sask me first/selfish brand of football stench here....and he hasn't.....was totally painted with wrong brush as a Rider and is one of the vets here that allows us to self police and continue what we got going on here...true pro and team first player...plus he's awesome on top of it.

I've been on teams were certain groups hated each other...some where guys even though were teammates...didn't even really know one another or cared to for that matter..and were just there for the cheque....polar oppositer thing here and it reflects on the field

Looking back...it all started with one signing...years back that was the first brick...and that brick was rewarded with his second ring....Mr Bryant...probably the most respected guy in the room, and rightfully so. Even tho he had a ring from before, him being here basically from the restart, and staying loyal was this teams foundation, and you know that ring from 2019 was so much more cherished by him

Not here anymore but Chris Randel also was part of that culture change.

On 2021-09-11 at 9:32 PM, JuranBoldenRules said:

Sean Whyte was on BC's PR for years and played for Montreal before Edmonton as well.  Vanderjagt was with Sask and even played Arena ball before he made the CFL for good, and then the NFL.  Paredes was here for two camps two years before he made the Stamps.  The only guy on that list who played regularly as a rookie pro is Ward.

So, they were on the PR? They faced no pressure kicks not playing. Your arguments aren't making sense. At some time, a PR player at any position has to play his first game & then has to face the music. Produce or be cut. 

19 minutes ago, Mike said:

Based on the things I’ve heard about how excited Walters is about Mourtada, I imagine he will be on the roster as soon as he is allowed to be.

Also worth mentioning is that he isn’t here to be developed - he’s 31 years old. He’s here for the now.

It interesting, he doesnt have a lot of experience but made pretty good use of the NFL remote coaching program for kickers. They worked over time to dig this guy up. Should be interesting to see how he does. 

36 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Not here anymore but Chris Randel also was part of that culture change.

Getting him and bryant was massive. You dont often have two winning successful guys like that who are willing to commit fully to a young team like that. 

Mo leggett was a rookie that year, but he was a big part of establishing bomber football too. It sucks those two missed out on getting rings. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Based on the things I’ve heard about how excited Walters is about Mourtada, I imagine he will be on the roster as soon as he is allowed to be.

Also worth mentioning is that he isn’t here to be developed - he’s 31 years old. He’s here for the now.

Does he do place-kicking only or can he punt as well?

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

100%. Some guys may grow into being a head coach, but dickenson is too fatally flawed. He isnt a leader and you cant make him one. He's like the anti maas, but they are soo opposite they have the same effect in the end. Maas is un disciplined wild and angry. Dickenson is undisciplined and kind of a slimy little guy with out a solid fiber in his being. 

Coaches should always be held to some extent responsible for melee's. Much more so when that coach is negligent in team discipline continually.

I think the result of that melee also reflects the team's coaches and overall attitude... one team will defend each other and fight back to the line without crossing it... the other team has no discipline and just goes over the top any chance they get... that's why one team had two DQs and the other had two major fouls...

8 hours ago, bearpants said:

I think the result of that melee also reflects the team's coaches and overall attitude... one team will defend each other and fight back to the line without crossing it... the other team has no discipline and just goes over the top any chance they get... that's why one team had two DQs and the other had two major fouls...

discipline is also playing to the edge of the rulebook .. no one on the Bombers crossed the auto-disqualification line.  they did some dirt but none of it rising to the level where the officials didn't have a choice but to toss 'em. veteran savvy.

that said, I wouldn't mind seeing helmet tear-offs like Harris' get added to the list of no-discretion DQs ... that's a real dangerous looking play.  No place for it in the game.

also wouldn't be surprised to see supplemental discipline handed out this week.

14 minutes ago, Nolby said:

I can see them keeping legghio for punting and maybe kickoffs,he leads the league ,just get a place kicker too if they can.

Of course he will lead at this point, since we played 1 more game compared to all teams except Cgy.
But you don't want your team leading in punts, right? (because that means you are not scoring). Kickoff for sure. 

The new kicker is an American and he will be using one of the DI spot, which means we need to sit one backup American (maybe one of American LB)
If Mourtada can do all kicking duties (ala Medlock) that would be better use of that DI spot since we can sit Legghio and add another Canadian backup somewhere. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

3 minutes ago, Nolby said:

I can see them keeping legghio for punting and maybe kickoffs,he leads the league ,just get a place kicker too if they can.

Legs is 9th in average punting yards, and 9th in average kick off yards. The average NET yards punting are 8th, and .1 yards off last place. His Net yards have been spiraling down. The last 3 games hes struggled to be above 30 yards net per punt. When your punt yards gained is in the 20 range you may as well just go for it on 3rd down. 

The problem with his punting is he kicks it between the hash marks and makes it easy on returners. He doesnt use the side line well to help his cover team. He's also shanked too many punts and kicks offs to this point.

They arent going to give up on him any time soon, but his punting and kick offs are bad. He leads the league in total yards because he leads the league in total punt and kick off attempts. 

I wouldnt be surprised to see the new american kicker on the roster soon. I think itll take a full failing of that and further implosion by legs to get some one like lirim here sadly. 

Just now, M.O.A.B. said:

Of course he will lead at this point, since we played 1 more game compared to all teams except Cgy.
But you don't want your team leading in punts, right? (because that means you are not scoring). Kickoff for sure. 

The new kicker is an American and he will be using one of the DI spot, which means we need to sit one backup American (maybe one of American LB)
If Mourtada can do all kicking duties (ala Medlock) that would be better use of that DI spot since we can sit Legghio and add another Canadian backup somewhere. 

I dont think Mourtada is going to punt. 

Just now, M.O.A.B. said:

OK. That's why I'm asking if he can punt. I don't see any highlights of him punting. 

Its hard to tell with his lack of play time over the past few years but yeah, all i see is him kicking off a tee. I think they will want to go forward with legs and putting him on the PR would be pretty crushing. I could see mourtada taking over the kick off duties too perhaps. 

They should get bob cameron to come in and coach legs on punting. 

Speaking of Dickenson, he doesn't pull any punches. Telling 3DN that the Bombers are a better team by A LOT, and that he doesn't think his team could have beat us is about as honest AND dumb as a coach could be. Way to rally the troops CD....tell your guys they are not capable....smart. I have never seen a coach do this before. Football players have to have confidence to succeed. When you are going up against a team that is better than you, you can't let your players know that.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Speaking of Dickenson, he doesn't pull any punches. Telling 3DN that the Bombers are a better team by A LOT, and that he doesn't think his team could have beat us is about as honest AND dumb as a coach could be. Way to rally the troops CD....tell your guys they are not capable....smart. I have never seen a coach do this before. Football players have to have confidence to succeed. When you are going up against a team that is better than you, you can't let your players know that.

You know who else used to have nothing but praise for the opponents who kicked his teams ass? Jim Daley. I am sure Tim Burke probably had a bunch of those too. It's the hallmark of a coach in over his head.

8 hours ago, 17to85 said:

You know who else used to have nothing but praise for the opponents who kicked his teams ass? Jim Daley. I am sure Tim Burke probably had a bunch of those too. It's the hallmark of a coach in over his head.

That used to be standard fare from head coaches when asked about their opponents. Better to build them up than say something that'll result in press clippings being taped up in the opponent's locker room. Very few head coaches back in the day said anything to rile up the other players. I remember coaches like Bud Grant, Joe Zaleski, Jim Spavial, Bud Riley & Ray Jauch always extolling the virtues of the other team. If you took what they said seriously then you'd say we have no chance. Building up a team is just Old School Football. Things started to change 20 or 30 years ago when coaches & GM's like Don Matthews, Roy Shivers & Leo "The Lip" Cahill came along. They loved a microphone as they always had something to say. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

14 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I remember Tim Burke as the serial bus driver- he drove that thing over everyone.