Looking ahead,early chat-Banjo Bowl 2021

Nolby

11 minutes ago, Nolby said:

I just read it this morning and literally already have no clue where. It said that Ticketmaster saw a drop in rider tickets purchased for the banjo bowl this year,anyone know an average of how many Rider fans usually attend this game? It's a game that's good to have their fans here with ours but I guess in the end,a sold out stadium is a sold out stadium.

I would suspect the double vax requirement and proof of same to enter IG Field had a lot to do with that. 

And for all the Rider fans who were asking, no, having Ivermectin in your system was not a suitable alternative. That likely took out a ton of Saskatchewan attendance candidates. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

14 hours ago, johnzo said:

LMK if you want any help pulling video of specific plays for that post.  As a lifelong fan who's only ever played mens league flag ball, that Xs and Os stuff is fascinating to me too.  there's so much art and science in it that's impossible for me to understand at game speed, and the commentators are only rarely helpful.

I thought that Lapos' segments on the TSN panel where he broke down plays in detail were the best thing that TSN ever ran during halftime -- wish Jim Barker would do something like that, although Lapo strikes me as a better teacher.

this is why I don't have a lot of patience for the "Lapo always calls a five-yard pass play on 2nd and 10." thing that we'd hear here back in the day.  Lapo didn't have an xbox controller wired to Nichols' brain ... if Nichols was always checking down after going through his reads, either our receivers aren't getting open or Nichols is having trouble making his reads from the pocket.

That said, Lapo loves what Nichols does with his offence and brought him to Ottawa to continue doing it.

24 minutes ago, Nolby said:

I just read it this morning and literally already have no clue where. It said that Ticketmaster saw a drop in rider tickets purchased for the banjo bowl this year,anyone know an average of how many Rider fans usually attend this game? It's a game that's good to have their fans here with ours but I guess in the end,a sold out stadium is a sold out stadium.

the less rider green is in the stands the better. It's a sell out anyway so I'm very glad they're staying away.

7 minutes ago, Jesse said:

That said, Lapo loves what Nichols does with his offence and brought him to Ottawa to continue doing it.

"continue doing it" seems to have become, let someone else do it. Davis is starting this week and Lapo came as close to calling out a player that I've ever seen from him when asked about Nichols performance.

I think people overestimate how many Rider fans actually travel for this game. Lots, yes, but not as many that fill the stands. 

Media likes to say that Rider fans travel well but it's actually many Rider fans leave Saskatchewan and live elsewhere. 

Point being, there will still be lots of Rider green (and Rider tears) on Saturday. 

Edited by JCon

10 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

the less rider green is in the stands the better. It's a sell out anyway so I'm very glad they're staying away.

"continue doing it" seems to have become, let someone else do it. Davis is starting this week and Lapo came as close to calling out a player that I've ever seen from him when asked about Nichols performance.

Obviously Nichols has now hit the end of the road.

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

True. His down fall has always been decision making. His playbook on its own wasnt a problem. It was his his rigidness to his system not making use of the weapons at his disposal, out thinking himself especially in the red zone, and general play call. 

Some people are just extremely risk averse. Its important to remember that plop came from a small d3 school and didnt have any kind of strong coaching lineage. Its alot easier to coach a dominant system when you've worked under some one who is prolific in one style of offense or another. And that hes only stuck in cfl jobs for a year or 2 at a time. This is like his 9th job in the league over 15 seasons. Its alot easier to be aggressive when you arent looking over your shoulder. And he always seems to be on the hot seat, or in the que to get on it.  

Just now, Jesse said:

Poor bastard has gone willy coyote right through the end of the road. Any one wanna bet he becomes a plop disciple coaching qbs then the same kind of offense? 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I think people overestimate how many Rider fans actually travel for this game. Lots, yes, but not as many that fill the stands. 

Media likes to say that Rider fans travel well but it's actually many Rider fans leave Saskatchewan and live elsewhere. 

Point being, there will still be lots of Rider green (and Rider tears) on Saturday. 

One of the reasons I love going to the Banjo Bowl - seeing and interacting with Riders fans. In my experience, it's always been good natured and fun interactions. And, I do hope they will all need to drown their sorrows with Rum Hut beverages because the Bombers make it two wins in a row.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Seems like it. I feel for him because seems like the surgery to his throwing arm did not solve the problem. And pre-surgery he had an average arm, average accuracy, so any deterioration really shows. Gotta say thanks to Matty N for his years as a Bomber. But, management made the right choice with Collaros. Looks like an MOP candidate so far.

Wilson would yeah I assume replace Brown on the roster and slots right back into his usual spot...beauty with him is he knows the system already so hits ground running

Rocquemore I would expect be brought on in place of that extra Dlineman (Rose) he went out early anyway so our rotation with only 7 worked just fine. Makes more roster sense as well as he can back up Darby at SAM, or in case of injury in defensive back field Darby can play all positions, as well as safety almost on par with Alexander...so those 2 can swing around to wherever the injury need is...makes us really flexible

20 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I'm guessing both Wilson & Rocquemore will come in place of Brown and Rose (injured)?
That would be a good boost on the run D.  

Thats what I would think. Which would be fantastic. Id think wilson will have more rust so maybe rocquemore starts and wilson rotates. Itd also be a good help to our special teams to have those two draw in. 

I would look at bringing in nick dheilly for tobi antigha too personally. Then we could swap a back up NI for a DI at wr, kr, or db. At this point the NI Id move out is Augustine. What ever you think of him he isnt gonna be used on offense unless both harris and brady go down. And he isnt by any means an impact guy on teams.   

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

yeah....Dheilly would kind of be a waste of a roster spot at this juncture

He'd be in to keep the DL body count high. It used to be Lbers this year its DL. Though mos said he wanted extra bigs because ssk runs extra linemen. He isnt an experienced cover guy, but when antigha is on cover he looks slow af. 

10 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Dheilly can come in the line-up since Noah Hallett might not good to go, he was injured last game. Although they might put in Onyeka instead.

I imagine they will go db in for hallett if he isnt good to go. Its too bad Kramdi is hurt. He'd be ideal to come in. We really could use more NI teams guys. The bottom end of the NI depth is pretty thin right now. 

58 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Per Bauming, Nelson did not practiced today. McKnight was doing the returns. 

Here's hoping.

Somebody finally saw the light and gave the nod to McKnight....Now we aren't sure how well McKnight will fare BUT at least we're looking at something different than 'secure the ball and flop'  ...We're going to find out ( IF the change is made) if it's our blocking, or our talent at the position....Go McKnight

43 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Somebody finally saw the light and gave the nod to McKnight....Now we aren't sure how well McKnight will fare BUT at least we're looking at something different than 'secure the ball and flop'  ...We're going to find out ( IF the change is made) if it's our blocking, or our talent at the position....Go McKnight

Pretty much. Atleast they arent throwing Harris back to return kicks and punts. 

I feel like most proficient modern cfl return men arent burners and former track stars, but quick 1 cut runners Who get up to max speed quickly. I hope hes our mcknight in shining armor.

I wonder if Couture is being replaced by Eli because of the two costly holding calls in the LDC. One made us go two and out late in the third quarter deep in our own end after Harris gained half the first down yardage. Maybe he can't handle the Sask front 7? 

6 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Cool Id appreciate the help ill hit you up about that after the game thanks!

Yeah his segment was exactly what the modern young fans want to see. Now we've got some old dog barking cliches  from the kids table its sad. The people in charge of CFL on TSN need to watch some NFL games, especially with romo calling. Football isnt hockey and you cant present it the same way. Its not a frenetic back n forth that you add quips to. Its a constant strategic battle. 

Hes like kevin fogg when he was here. Either getting burned or making turn overs. And he was only a turn over magnet for 1 year. 

I think pederson is probably the most prevalent podcast right now,  bonfiresports is good too when bauming has time. I wish he'd dedicate more time to  it. 

Defensive shifts are adjustments in alignment defenses make to cover up gaps, seams, stack the box etc. A lot of what we see right now against our offense is D's moving their DL into the gaps and ends over the offensive tackles, And bringing their saftey and defensive half backs up closer to the tackle box. 

When we play teams that dont run a lot or in passing downs our D is generally a 5 or 6 man box. 6 is the normal in the cfl. (depending how close the inside slot covered by the sam is playing) 

We mostly see 8 men in the box. And frequently, especially the riders last week, teams put their DHbs just out side the tackle box. (the tackle box is the linebackers area, from offensive tackle to tackle and back to Lbers depth) This crowding the middle of the field opens up play action, deep routes, the screen game and deeper out routes. 

11 personnel is football formation terminology.  It indicates 1 running back and 1 blocker at the TE spot. We usually have woli, miller or eli as our TE depending on if we substitute a heavy package in, or if its in the regular flow of our offense. The first number indicates the backs and the 2nd the number of extra blockers on the line. So 21 is 2 back 1 te. 12 1 back 2 tes etc. 

I played at a moderate junior level, but was a bust due to injuries on and off the field. So for the better part of 2 years I worked with the coaching staff and ended up switching to coaching. At first tracking plays, then coaching rbs, and OC'd in HS a bit. I ended up moving and worked with a us football scout for a bit, and while I did that I took the opportunity to attend a few major us coaching seminars. I ended up not having time to be involved in football for a hand full of years but still follow and use a bunch of football coaching tools. The evolution and strategy of the game have always fascinated me. 

https://3downnation.com/2021/09/09/riders-have-taken-notice-of-argos-blueprint-to-beat-blue-bombers/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=riders-have-taken-notice-of-argos-blueprint-to-beat-blue-bombers

Better watch out, the riders have the blueprint to beat us now. 😆

The betting line in the cfl is always skewed. Those melon heads always thing they are the *&^% and bet on the riders no matter what. Just a reason to enjoy the soft betting lines when ever the riders are bad or on the fringe. 

wow thanks for the analysis. makes total sense. I wonder Toronto just run blitzed us all game to take Oliveira out of it. Made us one dimensional. 

Just now, Bombers9256 said:

I wonder if Couture is being replaced by Eli because of the two costly holding calls in the LDC. One made us go two and out late in the third quarter deep in our own end after Harris gained half the first down yardage. Maybe he can't handle the Sask front 7? 

wow thanks for the analysis. makes total sense. I wonder Toronto just run blitzed us all game to take Oliveira out of it. Made us one dimensional. 

The rash of holding calls had some really marginal Fouls. I dont think the organization would be coming down on him for it. I would imagine if any thing Couture is banged up. It takes a LOT for a favored vet to find his way to be on the outs with mos. 

Np. Mostly yeah. We didnt adapt and just got away from the run. We dropped a bunch of passes and couldnt over come that. We didnt really get our offense in a good sync in that game. Our offense is not designed to be pass only. Collaros elevates our offense but if we drop the run totally we need a whole other set of pass plays.