Looking ahead,early chat-Banjo Bowl 2021

Nolby

2 minutes ago, Nolby said:

Just realized that Saskatchewan only has 3 home games left already,theyre gonna be in tough the rest of the way now that most of their schedule is on the road.

My sincere hope is that the tough sched going forward combined with the template we've shown everyone, will equal little to no wins the rest of the season.. Like a total tanking the rest of the way. 

**** those assholes so very very much. 

49 minutes ago, Noeller said:

My sincere hope is that the tough sched going forward combined with the template we've shown everyone, will equal little to no wins the rest of the season.. Like a total tanking the rest of the way. 

**** those assholes so very very much. 

This is Leaf type hate. :)

5 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Ive been watching closely and after the game at the half way point, week 7, we have a bye so Ill probably make a tldr post about bucks offense in the first half. 

LMK if you want any help pulling video of specific plays for that post.  As a lifelong fan who's only ever played mens league flag ball, that Xs and Os stuff is fascinating to me too.  there's so much art and science in it that's impossible for me to understand at game speed, and the commentators are only rarely helpful.

I thought that Lapos' segments on the TSN panel where he broke down plays in detail were the best thing that TSN ever ran during halftime -- wish Jim Barker would do something like that, although Lapo strikes me as a better teacher.

5 hours ago, Booch said:

a lot of that Harris involvement was soley on Nichols, not Lapo. Nichols gave up on the progressions too soon and used Harris as a safety blanket, or didnt have the ability to extend the play t take a shot like Zack does...hence the lack of tosses to the running back's

this is why I don't have a lot of patience for the "Lapo always calls a five-yard pass play on 2nd and 10." thing that we'd hear here back in the day.  Lapo didn't have an xbox controller wired to Nichols' brain ... if Nichols was always checking down after going through his reads, either our receivers aren't getting open or Nichols is having trouble making his reads from the pocket.

3 hours ago, Dr Zaius said:

Gainey being out means nothing. Most overrated db in the west. 

Now it just means someone else is going to take a PI in the endzone. 

yup, 100%, you wonder why he's known as a playmaker?  Because teams figure it's worth the risk to throw at him all game, it works out more often than not. 

speaking of that, since Mike Jones has moved to LB he's getting less love from the camera and the stats man, he's not accumulating the hits and highlights like he was as a DB.  Is he locking his area down?   Are teams not throwing at him?  Much as I like to see him bring the wood on the Bankses, I like the idea of Mike Jones Invisible Shutdown Cover Man even better.

24 minutes ago, johnzo said:

LMK if you want any help pulling video of specific plays for that post.  As a lifelong fan who's only ever played mens league flag ball, that Xs and Os stuff is fascinating to me too.  there's so much art and science in it that's impossible for me to understand at game speed, and the commentators are only rarely helpful.

I thought that Lapos' segments on the TSN panel where he broke down plays in detail were the best thing that TSN ever ran during halftime -- wish Jim Barker would do something like that, although Lapo strikes me as a better teacher.

this is why I don't have a lot of patience for the "Lapo always calls a five-yard pass play on 2nd and 10." thing that we'd hear here back in the day.  Lapo didn't have an xbox controller wired to Nichols' brain ... if Nichols was always checking down after going through his reads, either our receivers aren't getting open or Nichols is having trouble making his reads from the pocket.

Well said. Honestly gents there is a bombers podcast vacuum right now with the Hodges moving on. We should do one. Could talk X’s and O’s With our resident expert wbbfan and have some video with it. Would be fun! 

6 hours ago, wbbfan said:

This is a big thing too. People think harris has disappeared from the passing game. Hes just as good at catching it out of the back field as ever, and as open as usual but collaros is finding guys down field. Slowly teams will sag on him more and more in the pass game he will probably see a bit more passes and first downs rather than getting a 5 yard toss on 2nd and 10 and being swallowed up. 

Id love to see them start sending harris on deeper routes. The old out n up, wheel stuff and even just 10-15 down field. What a nightmare for a wil to try and cover him. 

Np, I love the Xs and Os and talking about football gameplans. 

It certainly is more straight forward. Plop had a love for niche trick plays. The famous once a year darvin adams pass, or direct snaps to harris, throw backs etc. But most of what buck has taken out is very rarely used, (and still might be used) or low efficiency stuff. He's streamlined our offense, and I hope he is slowly adding to it. 

Itll really be all about how he adapts. What we are doing right now is creating a lot of defensive shifts. We are opening a whole bunch of options that could take our offense to 2001/2002 levels. I worry buck isnt going to adapt but I hope he will. Ive been watching closely and after the game at the half way point, week 7, we have a bye so Ill probably make a tldr post about bucks offense in the first half. 

Can you explain what you mean by defensive shifts? And 11 personnel. Also where did you learn so much about football?! 

6 minutes ago, johnzo said:

yup, 100%, you wonder why he's known as a playmaker?  Because teams figure it's worth the risk to throw at him all game, it works out more often than not. 

speaking of that, since Mike Jones has moved to LB he's getting less love from the camera and the stats man, he's not accumulating the hits and highlights like he was as a DB.  Is he locking his area down?   Are teams not throwing at him?  Much as I like to see him bring the wood on the Bankses, I like the idea of Mike Jones Invisible Shutdown Cover Man even better.

???
He was back at the corner and Darby was at the SAM since the CGY game.

2 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

???
He was back at the corner and Darby was at the SAM since the CGY game.

thanks for the correction.  I missed him moving back to corner.

My comment still stands, it seems like I'm not hearing his name very often and I wonder if I'm missing something there too or if teams are shying away from testing him.

20 minutes ago, johnzo said:

thanks for the correction.  I missed him moving back to corner.

My comment still stands, it seems like I'm not hearing his name very often and I wonder if I'm missing something there too or if teams are shying away from testing him.

He has 6 defensive tackles each on those 2 games. Same total with Biggie. 

12 hours ago, johnzo said:

Cool Id appreciate the help ill hit you up about that after the game thanks!

Yeah his segment was exactly what the modern young fans want to see. Now we've got some old dog barking cliches  from the kids table its sad. The people in charge of CFL on TSN need to watch some NFL games, especially with romo calling. Football isnt hockey and you cant present it the same way. Its not a frenetic back n forth that you add quips to. Its a constant strategic battle. 

12 hours ago, johnzo said:

Hes like kevin fogg when he was here. Either getting burned or making turn overs. And he was only a turn over magnet for 1 year. 

12 hours ago, Bombers9256 said:

Well said. Honestly gents there is a bombers podcast vacuum right now with the Hodges moving on. We should do one. Could talk X’s and O’s With our resident expert wbbfan and have some video with it. Would be fun! 

Can you explain what you mean by defensive shifts? And 11 personnel. Also where did you learn so much about football?! 

I think pederson is probably the most prevalent podcast right now,  bonfiresports is good too when bauming has time. I wish he'd dedicate more time to  it. 

Defensive shifts are adjustments in alignment defenses make to cover up gaps, seams, stack the box etc. A lot of what we see right now against our offense is D's moving their DL into the gaps and ends over the offensive tackles, And bringing their saftey and defensive half backs up closer to the tackle box. 

When we play teams that dont run a lot or in passing downs our D is generally a 5 or 6 man box. 6 is the normal in the cfl. (depending how close the inside slot covered by the sam is playing) 

We mostly see 8 men in the box. And frequently, especially the riders last week, teams put their DHbs just out side the tackle box. (the tackle box is the linebackers area, from offensive tackle to tackle and back to Lbers depth) This crowding the middle of the field opens up play action, deep routes, the screen game and deeper out routes. 

11 personnel is football formation terminology.  It indicates 1 running back and 1 blocker at the TE spot. We usually have woli, miller or eli as our TE depending on if we substitute a heavy package in, or if its in the regular flow of our offense. The first number indicates the backs and the 2nd the number of extra blockers on the line. So 21 is 2 back 1 te. 12 1 back 2 tes etc. 

I played at a moderate junior level, but was a bust due to injuries on and off the field. So for the better part of 2 years I worked with the coaching staff and ended up switching to coaching. At first tracking plays, then coaching rbs, and OC'd in HS a bit. I ended up moving and worked with a us football scout for a bit, and while I did that I took the opportunity to attend a few major us coaching seminars. I ended up not having time to be involved in football for a hand full of years but still follow and use a bunch of football coaching tools. The evolution and strategy of the game have always fascinated me. 

13 minutes ago, Booch said:

almost laughable....but good...We like being disrespected...fuels the fire

https://3downnation.com/2021/09/09/riders-have-taken-notice-of-argos-blueprint-to-beat-blue-bombers/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=riders-have-taken-notice-of-argos-blueprint-to-beat-blue-bombers

Better watch out, the riders have the blueprint to beat us now. 😆

The betting line in the cfl is always skewed. Those melon heads always thing they are the *&^% and bet on the riders no matter what. Just a reason to enjoy the soft betting lines when ever the riders are bad or on the fringe. 

15 hours ago, Nolby said:

Just realized that Saskatchewan only has 3 home games left already,theyre gonna be in tough the rest of the way now that most of their schedule is on the road.

I think Bob or maybe brown said after the last game the the riders have 7 of their last 8 games on the road...

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

It's about bringing in the money. Not about who is the better team.

20 hours ago, johnzo said:

have a question -- what's a run blitz?  after the Toronto game people were talking about how the run blitz was effective against us and TO used it to good effect against Brady O and Collaros in their win.

from watching it seems like a blitz where everyone is disciplined about their lanes at first and once they figure out it's a dropback then they go at the QB.  Is there more to it than that?

Run blitz was used the entire 2Q and 3Q against us by SSK on running downs as well. It's a regular blitz but making sure each gap is filled along the OL. It's not a delayed blitz or a blitz through the same gap as a DL like many pass rush blitzes. 

I just read it this morning and literally already have no clue where. It said that Ticketmaster saw a drop in rider tickets purchased for the banjo bowl this year,anyone know an average of how many Rider fans usually attend this game? It's a game that's good to have their fans here with ours but I guess in the end,a sold out stadium is a sold out stadium.