Looking ahead,early chat-Banjo Bowl 2021

Nolby

20 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yeah he just needs to get it..and hit it ..no hesitation..minimal overthinking...even when he looks to try to take it outside he second guesses mid flight ..slows up or stops..then tried to pick a new lane...if u are trying to make the edge commit to it..or if it looks to be cut off ..just cut it up without gearing down and get whatever positive yards are there. That's where a lot of times you pop through for the big gains and for whatever reason he seems hesitant to do that.

This may not be objective, but it seemed to me that he is getting more and more hesitant to charge the ball and just take off. His pauses seem to be getting longer.

If you feel like you have no blocking, you will likely be more hesitant to just run full bore into 3 or 4 tacklers. I am not a fan of his hesitancy, but there have been returns where he has zero help in front of him. I don’t think it’s an either/or situation, and both he and his blocking have contributed to the situation so far. But unlike when Andrew Harris runs slowly behind his line waiting for the blocks to develop and then exploding through the hole, I rarely see returns being able to work the same way. Nelson seems to lack the explosive acceleration Grant has, but so far he is protecting the ball and getting positive yards if not the big return pretty much every time. A lot like Pail Bennett back in the day. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

25 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah just run at em fast and they are more likely to miss when they don't have all the support downfield yet. Get past that first wave and you've already got a good return going.

If you stand in the same spot it makes it really easy for the coverage team to know where to run to

It's like if you're playing street hockey and you try to deke through everyone

The most worrisome thing about Nelson is his lack of production vs guys like Bede and Jon Ryan.  Half the time they outkick their coverage by about 15 yards so if you catch the ball and just move upfield you've got 10 yards before you're even encountering a tackler.  On some of those kicks Nelson goes east-west like he's going to outrun the angle of 10 guys.  He needs some coaching, which I'm sure he's getting, and maybe not all that receptive to.  But catching the punt is a skill unto itself.

59 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The most worrisome thing about Nelson is his lack of production vs guys like Bede and Jon Ryan.  Half the time they outkick their coverage by about 15 yards so if you catch the ball and just move upfield you've got 10 yards before you're even encountering a tackler.  On some of those kicks Nelson goes east-west like he's going to outrun the angle of 10 guys.  He needs some coaching, which I'm sure he's getting, and maybe not all that receptive to.  But catching the punt is a skill unto itself.

I agree Nelson could do better with respect to yards gained. Totally agree with your sentence that " catching the punt is a skill all unto itself". Nelson seems to be very reliable in the catching the ball department. I have no doubt the coaches are working with him on the return part. I think the potential is there, but the confidence and decision-making is questionable right now. 

9 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Per CFL.ca transaction page, we signed DB Greg Ducre. He signed with the Stamps earlier this year and was released end of July. He played with the Als in 2018.

Thats an interesting pick up. Hes the kind of guy we seem to take a flyer on a lot. Well traveled pro. Smaller college school. Wiry and extremely athletic. 4.32 40, 36" vert, 10'7 broad jump, sub 4 sec shuttle 6.5 3 cone and 17 reps.  

8 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

29 of age though. 

Yeah hes not a spring chicken. But he doesnt have a ton of pro games on his body for wear and tear. Hes been with a lot of teams though and spent a handful of years on NFL rosters. Its a low risk high reward move. He kind of reminds me of kevin fogg. 

I feel like DBs tend to peak later and last a bit longer than many positions in football. Which makes alford soo much more impressive. 23 year old true rookie and doesnt look it. 

Edited by wbbfan

I am underwhelmed from what I have seen from Nelson thus far, and if Grant is a long term thing then we should be looking at other returners in practice. That being said, I don't feel there is any rush to get him out the door either. I don't mind him as a placeholder for Grant. I really want Grant back though. Our offence and punting game almost require us to have a dynamic returner that can flip the field once of twice a game and our defence is good enough that I trust they can minimize any damage from the odd fumble every few games. 

This is a season where the best team will be the one that can play winter ball. I like our chances. I would like our chance better with an elusive returner that demonstrated in 2019 he can play in the cold. This is a year like no other. Regular season games are going to be played into late November. I can't wait to see which teams wilt in the cold weather.

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

our Oline...Harris...Oliviera....that hard hitting defense...the 3 game run last winter..I like our chances in cold weather ball, as this team knows what it takes and won't be fazed

If we had Streveler he’d prob play the whole game in nothing but a fur coat. 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

What do the Riders do differently this week? I would say that their special teams was fine last week and probably doesn't need much work. 

How do they get CF going on offense? 

What adjustments can they make to help stop the run? Is Micah back this week? 

I would like to see Micah back so our OL can prove how pricy washed up he is. 

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

What do the Riders do differently this week? I would say that their special teams was fine last week and probably doesn't need much work. 

I would imagine the Riders will be attempting to do a whole lot different this week. Last week they pinned their hopes that their big boys could play with our big boys....they now know that is a surefire recipe for losing. This week I expect they will try to see if their skill players can beat our skill players. I expect a heavy dose of swing passes, slants, QB draws etc. from their offence. I expect them to be moving the pocket a lot more for Fajardo and I expect Fajardo to be throwing up a lot more 50/50 balls down the field.  I expect their defence will play pretty similarly to how they played last week in the 2q and 3q and really look to key in on our short game by run blitzing and take the gamble that Collaros won't ball on them 2 weeks in a row down the field. 

Edited by GCn20

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

I'm sure they tried to use tape from the Toronto and Calgary's game against us but they're oline is so bad that it probably thwarted that game plan. They need max protection for Fajardo but then you'll likely take away an extra pass catcher to do so. Powell can be very good here and there,maybe throw him out in the flats,screens, slants worked well it seemed against us but won't win you the game.

4 minutes ago, Nolby said:

I'm sure they tried to use tape from the Toronto and Calgary's game against us but they're oline is so bad that it probably thwarted that game plan. They need max protection for Fajardo but then you'll likely take away an extra pass catcher to do so. Powell can be very good here and there,maybe throw him out in the flats,screens, slants worked well it seemed against us but won't win you the game.

I would like to see the Riders give more protection to CF to see what happens. I think it will be more of the same - contain and tackle. 

Edited by JCon

I think the Riders will go with a lot of quick outs and slants. Getting the ball off quickly is one way to handle our D line. I expect some jet sweeps to widen the D line and trying to establish some kind of run game. Fewer deep shots cuz they don't have the time. I expect Faj-j-j to have a better game and he'll need to if they want to win.

19 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

He's cracked the top 10 once in his career. His best campaigns were 2016 and 2017 where he finished 9th and 11th, respectively. In his most recent campaign (2019) he finished 15th in receiving yards.

Top 5 is quite the exaggeration.

So based on what you just said James Wilder Jr is the #1 RB in the league because he leads the league in rushing.  

Roosevelt (was) an elite receiver did he miss many balls thrown his way?  Did  he go into long stretches of where he did nothing (Adams)?   

I'm sorry if I exaggerated and Roosevelt was #6 - 8 best receiver in the league lol.    

Answer this... WTF has Bailey done  outside of having some average games in his career? 

12 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Yup my son plays halfback and at practice went to go shag some punts and told me after how it's a lot harder than it looks.

On 2021-09-06 at 4:39 PM, JuranBoldenRules said:

If I'm the Bombers D I'm prepping for more run heavy looks from the Riders and them using two backs, bring Morrow into the offense.  There's nothing and no one in their pass game that concerns me.  If they come out 5 wide I'm following the same scheme, make Fajardo try to be accurate downfield from the pocket vs the rush.

I was surprised at how the Riders underutilized their biggest asset on O against us -- Powell.  Toronto showed that our run D wasn't perfect  .... if Powell puts some runs together that could loosen up the passing game enough for Fajardo to succeed.  Don't know if that green OL can run block any better than it can pass block though.

9 minutes ago, johnzo said:

I was surprised at how the Riders underutilized their biggest asset on O against us -- Powell.  Toronto showed that our run D wasn't perfect  .... if Powell puts some runs together that could loosen up the passing game enough for Fajardo to succeed.  Don't know if that green OL can run block any better than it can pass block though.

Their OL has been terrible at run blocking this season. Their OL is hot garbage. They really need an infusion of talent. If I were the Riders I might consider starting a 3rd IMP on the OL.

16 minutes ago, johnzo said:

I was surprised at how the Riders underutilized their biggest asset on O against us -- Powell.

its odd how these coaches, who definitely know a lot, outsmart themselves. why stop running powell, he was doing very well, up the middle.

wierd.

used to be, if its working, keep doing it till they show they can stop it. now.... 

eleven dimension chess.

not as complicated as they seem to want to make it. 

this season, same thing with Andrew Harris at times. hes what makes the bombers offence work.  got a top o line, got a top running back. use them.

Edited by Mark F