Looking ahead,early chat-Banjo Bowl 2021

Nolby

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Sincere question: Do we know that it's Nelson and not the blocking in front of him? 

Yes. It’s pretty obvious (IMO) that he has no sense of where to go or natural instinct. Way too indecisive and not athletic enough to make up for it.

And honestly as far as a replacement I’m not even sure Grant is the option, he’s dynamic but his ball security is a Q.

give me a guy somewhere in between the two. I don’t need a return TD every second week but I’d like someone who’s ceiling is a little bit beyond a 4 yard return.

Just now, Mike said:

Yes. It’s pretty obvious (IMO) that he has no sense of where to go or natural instinct. Way too indecisive and not athletic enough to make up for it.

If you look back to his play at oregon its night and day. He used to catch and run, he had good speed and strong elusiveness. He was a multi cut runner. I feel like the injuries have diminished him, that could be physical and mental. Being a return man is a tough gig. Youre gonna get blasted a bunch. If you lose the aggressive mindset youre toast. Honestly he runs soo seldom I cant even say if hes lost a step or not. He looks like a QB with happy feet hearing foot steps. Or a wr with aligator arms who doesnt wanna go over the middle. 

Maybe thats not the case, but what ever the cause is its bad. And probably not easily fixed. There are older return men in the league who was much more dangerous. Its too easy to find young speed tool guys who can return. But nelson might be this years Mos guy. Hope fully he either gets it together soon, or mos moves on.  

41 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

I think with Grant its either a high ankle sprain or broken ankle the way he limped off the field. 

If either is the case he won't be back soon. We need a better option than Nelson. As someone pointed out, we're bad in all areas of special teams this year. Better kickers might be tough to find, but a returner? There's probably a better one on the roster.

15 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Yup I share the sentiment, Nelson needs to sit. Also, what are the assurance that once Grant comes back (if he comes back) he will be the same as before? He could end up the same as Nelson. 

Try what we have in WR McKnight and RB Williams.  

I would lean to Williams...give him his shot, and some shared backfield sets with Harris....could be a real headache for teams

9 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I'd sit Nelson. The hop or stutter step thing is just beyond frustrating. I guess I likely wouldn't want a starter handling the returns but... a guy who hasn't had a shot yet couldn't be worse.. Williams or McKnight or surely one of the 80 dbs we are housing around WPG can 

MaleUncomfortableIndianrockpython-max-1m

This is not Regina, sir!

Edited by JCon

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

No reason?  Not better?    

I can't speak for his current health status,  but assuming he has no issues then how can you say he's not better then Bailey or even Adams?    

He brings less to the table than both of those two. Mainly blocking and speed.

He could probably replace wolly, but he doesn't block as well as wolly(which seems to be his main job this year) and lacks the right passport.

I dont think he was brought to Wpg to replace anyone. I think he's insurance incase more WRs go down. Maybe I'm wrong but I dont see him dressing until injuries require it.

15 minutes ago, Brandon said:

He brings far better hands and far more experience (then Bailey).   

As I said before I am unaware of his current health situation, but when healthy the guy was a top 5 receiver in the league.

He's cracked the top 10 once in his career. His best campaigns were 2016 and 2017 where he finished 9th and 11th, respectively. In his most recent campaign (2019) he finished 15th in receiving yards.

Top 5 is quite the exaggeration.

he does have one of the best catch percentage tho, and knows how/where and when to find the spots in a defense to keep the chains moving...especially in blitz packages...would be a nice second down/possession option, but by no means is a game in game out game breaker by any stretch, but would have huge benefits to us in injury troubles, or as an extra receiver on roster if we could do it...plus his presence in the Rider lineup would be a huge help to them, so theres that too

Edited by Booch

54 minutes ago, Brandon said:

He brings far better hands and far more experience (then Bailey).   

As I said before I am unaware of his current health situation, but when healthy the guy was a top 5 receiver in the league.

That's just not true. Banks, Ellingson, Walker, Rogers, Burnham....who are you taking out to put him in? That doesn't even include guys like Lucky, Evans, Jordan, Daniels, Lawler etc. 

He's had a few solid years. But he's just not what people on here are hyping him up to be. I'd much rather continue to give guys like Bailey more time to grow into the league than a guy who has maybe 1 year of ok ball left in him. Like I said I don't think he dresses until injuries make him.

man...looking at things you gotta like this defense and the adjustments they make mid game...to date...we have given up 15 points in the 3rd quarter, and only 3 in the fourth all year...damn!!

even from last game of 2019 through to grey cup we gave up 24 in 3rd and only 6th in 4th...Thats some impressive work

6 hours ago, wbbfan said:

chip kellys

I was watching an Eagles game when he was the coach. he was standing on the sideline facing the field; without looking around, or saying  anything,  he held his arm up, with hand ready to hold a beverage.

there was some poor sap /lackey standing at the ready behind chip who immediately slapped a water bottle into his highness chips hand, without being asked..

lol what a complete dink.

Edited by Mark F

22 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I was watching an Eagles game when he was the coach. he was standing on the sideline facing the field; without looking around, or saying  anything,  he held his arm up, with hand ready to hold a beverage.

there was some poor sap /lackey standing at the ready behind chip who immediately slapped a water bottle into his highness chips hand, without being asked..

Oh to dangle a dink from row 1

Just now, Mark F said:

Haha I believe that 100%. Hes one of those "big deal" college coaches. The treatment they get is some thing else. I do love watching his sytems at work though. Hes with UCLA since the NFL. And this year it seems like he finally has that team executing his newest variants of his offense. 

Honestly Nelson's averages aren't bad and he hasn't even really busted one yet.  Look around the league, returns are down.

I'd be more concerned if our D and O were worse, like yeah in a game like the @TO one you could use a big return as a spark, but on the whole I don't really want to play around throwing guys back there doing it part time not really practicing catching punts or trying it out for the first time in awhile.  Ball security is priority, we'll win games with our O and D.

27 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Honestly Nelson's averages aren't bad and he hasn't even really busted one yet.  Look around the league, returns are down.

I'd be more concerned if our D and O were worse, like yeah in a game like the @TO one you could use a big return as a spark, but on the whole I don't really want to play around throwing guys back there doing it part time not really practicing catching punts or trying it out for the first time in awhile.  Ball security is priority, we'll win games with our O and D.

One hundred perfect correct. If we were struggling we could use the gamble on the big return but with the way our team is playing he’s doing exactly what he needs to do.. catch the ball, hold on to it and give our offence a shot. I even remember when we had guys like Keith Stokes who would have monster returns but people would complain when he coughed up the loaf. Darned if you do darned if you don’t!

8 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

t. If we were struggling we could use the gamble on the big return but with the way our team is playing he’s doing exactly what he needs to do

and for the same reason, the team doesnt need to  rely on gimmick special teams plays anymore.

Yeah he just needs to get it..and hit it ..no hesitation..minimal overthinking...even when he looks to try to take it outside he second guesses mid flight ..slows up or stops..then tried to pick a new lane...if u are trying to make the edge commit to it..or if it looks to be cut off ..just cut it up without gearing down and get whatever positive yards are there. That's where alot of times you pop through for the big gains and for whatever reason he seems hesitant to do that.