Looking ahead,early chat-Banjo Bowl 2021

Nolby

10 hours ago, M.Silverback said:

Please bench Nelson. I know Roosevelt isn’t a kick returner, but Nelson shouldn’t be playing. Has to be a better returner, and he’s not a CFL level receiver.

Imo demski could return kicks. 

Our best current roster return guy would probably be nick taylor. Hes ran low 4.3 and high 4.2 times, scored 2 defensive tds. Hes returned 2 kicks for us and a couple in the AFL. Iirc he did some returning in college too. In order to keep him fresh we'd need to DI another DB to give him more breaks. 

15 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Imo demski could return kicks. 

Our best current roster return guy would probably be nick taylor. Hes ran low 4.3 and high 4.2 times, scored 2 defensive tds. Hes returned 2 kicks for us and a couple in the AFL. Iirc he did some returning in college too. In order to keep him fresh we'd need to DI another DB to give him more breaks. 

I was just going to ask hasn't SOMEONE  on this team returned kicks before, at least in college ? It's the biggest issue on this team right now in my opinion. Every time Collaros takes the field he's looking at acres of turf between him and the goal line. 

Just now, the watcher said:

I was just going to ask hasn't SOMEONE  on this team returned kicks before, at least in college ? It's the biggest issue on this team right now in my opinion. Every time Collaros takes the field he's looking at acres of turf between him and the goal line. 

Devonte williams the RB on our PR has returned some as well. Also the DB from the XFL demerio houston has college experience as a KR. 

Demski has almost 100 punt returns and 30 kick off returns in the cfl too. 

15 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Devonte williams the RB on our PR has returned some as well. Also the DB from the XFL demerio houston has college experience as a KR. 

Demski has almost 100 punt returns and 30 kick off returns in the cfl too. 

Well  heavens to Betsy put Demski in. That stutter step Nelson does gets him tackled every time.

Just now, Mark F said:

more  wolitarski

dont forget  andrew harris run game. O  team stalled till he got going

nelson played db in college. maybe he is backup for that position

Woli badly needs to be moved to slot and involved more. 

We got our offense out of sync and went away from the runs, we were slow to sasks adjustments to the run game but once we did it was lights out again. 

Nelson was the usual utility quick guy in chip kellys oregeon zone running read option system. He ran the ball, caught the ball, returned and played some db. But primarily his skill set is wr/kr. And if he is doing soo poorly at his primary skill set  I sure wouldnt wanna see him out there at db. 

I know that Mike O stresses 'secure the ball' on returns and Nelson has done that, but the trade off is poor field position every time he attempts to run one back....Nelson experiment over ....he's no returner....That little McKnight guy is/was a returner....Get him on the field and see what he can do...We have to give Zack a better spot on the field to get our O going...tired of seeing them buried in our end

15 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I know that Mike O stresses 'secure the ball' on returns and Nelson has done that, but the trade off is poor field position every time he attempts to run one back....Nelson experiment over ....he's no returner....That little McKnight guy is/was a returner....Get him on the field and see what he can do...We have to give Zack a better spot on the field to get our O going...tired of seeing them buried in our end

Yeah mcknight couldnt be worse than nelson. Hes a quick polished guy more than fast. Idk if hes gonna have the wheels to stick long term. If he was 6'3 and 225 with his speed and tool set he'd probably be in the NFL. But 5'8 180 with out speed you gotta have insane quickness. Havent seen enough of him in game to say yet, but Im not holding my breath. 

Grant was in the exact same situation, but immediately showed great quickness and top end speed. Hes a guy who runs around the 40 yard marker. Its just not a good distance for him. 10 yard split times were great, I bet his 60 and 100 times would be great too. Mcknight had bad splits across the board. You can get by in a tiny college with extremely high football iq and polish with out speed while being tiny. But not soo much the pros. I hope his acceleration and quicks are goo enough to compensate. 

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Sincere question: Do we know that it's Nelson and not the blocking in front of him? 

If you watch him on returns he stops and is hesitant as soon as a defender is a few yards away from him.  It looks as if he doesn't want the contact.   And that indecision and stutter stops any possibility of a larger return.   And no, it isn't always the blocking, he could make more gains if he just went for it.

Few things:

Don't put Roosevelt on the roster unless injuries make it necessary. There's just no reason otherwise. He's not better than any receiver we have out there right now.

I wouldn't be against sitting Nelson for this game as he just dances way too much and often for no reason at all. McKnight should get a shot. But at the same time, I wouldn't be against him staying in for this game either. Need to limit mistakes, and the more changes you make on the roster the more likely they are to happen. Again I wouldn't be against it, but don't think it NEEDS to happen this week either. How close is Grant? Does anyone know?

Hope they keep the same game plan for next week. Take away the quick passes, hit the QB everytime you can and make them beat you with the deep ball and powell. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Sincere question: Do we know that it's Nelson and not the blocking in front of him? 

This is a valid question, I asked my self it last week. I went back and watched clips of grant returning kicks last year. You can clearly see the first guys down field are tacklers not blockers frequently. He runs past them to the wall of blockers. The same as sask and other teams have done to us this year. If you just watch the 2 td returns in his debut you see Tacklers in position to wrap him up but as soon as he gets the ball he runs right past them and beats their angle. Honestly no amount of legal blocking is going to allow Nelson to catch the ball be at a dead stand still when the tacklers get into position then give him time to accelerate and find a seam. Grant follows his blocks well and sees the lanes well. But he also just gets it and runs right away so by the time the tacklers are down field he is a speed cut or pressure step from making a guy miss and hitting top gear. Nelsons style of running is like walking up to the hole and waiting till youre past the line backers to accelerate. Gotta hit it hard. 

19 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Demski’s issue on returns is ball security.  O’Shea tried it and has shied away from it since.  Also his role on O probably leads you to not want him to accumulate those hits on returns.

It is, but honestly grant has that issue too. Id risk some ball security for actually getting yards and a chance to score on returns. Id have demski be the 2nd return man on KOs and Mcknight/williams/taylor split the primary KO return and punt return work. Maybe taylor as the primary KO return guy and williams or mcknight as the primary punt returner.  Honestly woli would probably be an improvement. 

15 minutes ago, Booch said:

Maybe we just tread water in the return game until Grant is ready...problem solved,

If grant is back soon then i'd be in favor of filling return internally. What ever that means. The question is will grant be back in 2 ish weeks when hes eligible to come off the 6 game, and will he be physically sharp? If either one is a no, then we gotta make changes. Even on a 3 week time line I would not give more reps to nelson. Just nothing to gain and only stand to have poor productivity. We have got to turn around the field position situation on STs. 

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Don't put Roosevelt on the roster unless injuries make it necessary. There's just no reason otherwise. He's not better than any receiver we have out there right now.

No reason?  Not better?    

I can't speak for his current health status,  but assuming he has no issues then how can you say he's not better then Bailey or even Adams?    

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

No reason?  Not better?    

I can't speak for his current health status,  but assuming he has no issues then how can you say he's not better then Bailey or even Adams?    

Hes got one of the best sets of hands in the league. No question he'd be an upgrade at our final wr slot. However his skill set and diminished speed (that was never a strong suit to begin with) Itd make more sense to put him in woli's spot and put woli in the slot at long last. 

Just now, Jpan85 said:

I think with Grant its either a high ankle sprain or broken ankle the way he limped off the field. 

High ankle is nasty, they can nag you for a long time. But a broken ankle would be brutal. I hope hes getting close but I guess we will see in the next few weeks.